Risers for h81 btc

wemaymorewemaymore Member Posts: 56
Hello, guys!
I am looking for a h81 btc and now i am can't understand what risers do i need.
This board has a 2 molex for x1 pci-ex slots (as you know, offcourse :) ) and my logic tell me - you need non-powered x1-x16 risers.
But same people on different forums says better powererd or usb risers with unplugged 2 molex on motherboard.
Please help me to understand what riserss is better in my opininon...
risers.ru - that's a nearest place where i can buy risers (i live in Asia)

Comments

• agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    Always get powered risers, the USB riser is your best option, and you should still power the motherboard with the 2 molex connections.
  • wemaymorewemaymore Member Posts: 56
    agent412 said:

Always get powered risers, the USB riser is your best option, and you should still power the motherboard with the 2 molex connections.

Ok. Will try buy usb risers. TY!
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    agent412 said:

No you should not power your motherboard with the 2 molex connections... Geez...

Only power the 2 molex connections if you use low power gpu where one power supply is enough to run the entire rig.

If you want to use two power supplies DO NOT use the molex connectors on the motherboard because voltage from one power supply will meet with the voltage from another power supply... Do I need to explain what happens next?

Cards like rx 460, r7 370, r9 270 DO NOT need powered risers and run more stable and safe without the extra power.

Cards like RX480 and R9 290/390 will need the extra power due to their electronic design.

As a rule of thumb any card with TDP below 150W should run safe without powered riser.

RX 470 and RX 480 are an exceptions to this rule due to their electronic design where ALL of the DDR memory chips are powered from the PCIE only and therefore require 75W from that slot which motherboard cannot provide.

7950, 7970 and 7990 will all run without powered risers because it's design pulls very little from PCIE.

In my view usb risers add alot of extra cost and are only useful when you are too lazy to get properly measured frame.
    bbcoin said:

agent412 said:

No you should not power your motherboard with the 2 molex connections... Geez...

Only power the 2 molex connections if you use low power gpu where one power supply is enough to run the entire rig.

If you want to use two power supplies DO NOT use the molex connectors on the motherboard because voltage from one power supply will meet with the voltage from another power supply... Do I need to explain what happens next?

Cards like rx 460, r7 370, r9 270 DO NOT need powered risers and run more stable and safe without the extra power.

Cards like RX480 and R9 290/390 will need the extra power due to their electronic design.

As a rule of thumb any card with TDP below 150W should run safe without powered riser.

RX 470 and RX 480 are an exceptions to this rule due to their electronic design where ALL of the DDR memory chips are powered from the PCIE only and therefore require 75W from that slot which motherboard cannot provide.

7950, 7970 and 7990 will all run without powered risers because it's design pulls very little from PCIE.

In my view usb risers add alot of extra cost and are only useful when you are too lazy to get properly measured frame.
    Yes. Usb risers cost much bigger!
    I am planning to build rig with 4-6 gtx 1070 or RX470, 480. So in my opinion as i understand i will must use standart x1-x16 powered risers like this .
    But now i don't know what kind of psu i will use. Maybe solo 1200w or two 650w. hmmm
  • lukaisailoviclukaisailovic Member Posts: 43
    @bbcoin is completely right about molex connectors on mb. I got 2x h81 pro btc and neither have plugged in that 2 connectors, both rigs work perfectly ofc
    @wemaymore That is powered rises bat that IS NOT USB powered riser (use them if you can as someone already said before) this is what you are looking for
    As for PSU it does not really matter. Do calculations what is cheaper for you. But in most countries i found that 2 smaller PSU >> 1 large PSU because it simply cost less for same amount of power
    @lukaisailovic @bbcoin I have 3 rigs, with 6 R7 370s on each of them, and i plug in the 2 molex connectors on all 3 rigs, they have been mining without any problems.
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    agent412 said:

@lukaisailovic @bbcoin I have 3 rigs, with 6 R7 370s on each of them, and i plug in the 2 molex connectors on all 3 rigs, they have been mining without any problems.

1x PSU or 2xPSU ?
    bbcoin said:

agent412 said:

1x PSU or 2xPSU ?
    1, 1000watt PSU
  • theneogeo1982theneogeo1982 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    I have 9 h81 with no powered risers and no issues yet lol
    edited August 2016

I have 9 h81 with no powered risers and no issues yet lol

Mate, please answer what gpu's did you use? And did you used usb or standart risers (if you can please share link with your risers)
  • theneogeo1982theneogeo1982 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    Guy I clearly said non powered lol and Gigabyte r9380 4gb
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    @bbcoin I have been using 2 power supplies on a H81 board with 2 x 750w PSU, running 4 x R9 290s and I have the molex on the mobo plugged in. I use all powered USB risers but they are powered (along with mobo molex's) by the primary supply which does everything except the 6/8-pin power to the 3rd and 4th R9 290. Running fine for months.

My understanding is that as long as 1st PSU is responsible for the mobo molex's and the riser molex's then it's fine, you just get problems if 2nd PSU does anything except 6/8pin +12v to GPUs. Where are the voltages for the 2 PSUs supposed to meet if 1st PSU does ALL the molex connections?