GPU fan life expectancy

patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
How long they are working before failure?

R9 290s ref coolers, Nanos, Nitro, water cooled Fury X, etc.. Please share your numbers.

I have 3-slot ASUS R9 280X and their fans are working fine for about 1-1.5 years if I spray inside a WD40 silicone periodically

Comments

• newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    It depends a great deal on whether they run constantly (like in a mining rig), or are stopped and started a lot (like in a gaming rig). Constantly is better. Also fans running at 80% or more a lot will last a lot less time. Running a fan at 90-100% is supposed to be a rare extreme case, not a constant situation. Ideal case for a fan is running constantly at 60-70%.
    A bladed fan on a typical 2 or three fan cooler is a lot cheaper and "disposable" i.e. unreliable than a blower style fan like you get on a reference 290.
  • patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    During the summer my fans are running at 100% 24/7
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    How do you spray WD40 in the asus fans? They are sealed. You need to drill the back.

All GPU fans will fail whether you run at 50% or 100%, its not the speed but its the heat and the fact that they are mounted upright instead of pointing down like in a computer case. They would last longer if they were facing down.
    @adaseb , they have a 3 holes in a front
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @newmz I agree.

I've had AMD reference blower-style fans running for years and never had a single failure. They are workhorses that don't quit. Most of them ran at 100% fan constantly for scrypt mining.

On the flip side, my Sapphire Tri-X fans were almost all messed up (many not working at all) after ~2 years-ish. A few MSI dual-fan style seized. etc.

@adaseb I'm actually convinced of the opposite. My experience with GPU fans laying flat is that they wear worse then mounted vertically.
  • GaseousMaximusGaseousMaximus Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2016
    I don't performance any special maintenance but instead just buy replacement fans off ebay for $15.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    patrik2 said:

@adaseb , they have a 3 holes in a front

You must have different fans from my 280x which don't have any holes in the front.
    @GaseousMaximus when you have a 100s GPUs and need to replace all fans after only a year, that's a huge waste of money and time! Consider that each GPU has 2 or 3 fans and need an additional labor costs to disassemble GPU, clean it, change fan(s) and assemble again! Do the math and calculate losses (T_T)..
  • GaseousMaximusGaseousMaximus Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2016
    patrik2 said:

@GaseousMaximus when you have a 100s GPUs and need to replace all fans after only a year, that's a huge waste of money and time! Consider that each GPU has 2 or 3 fans and need an additional labor costs to disassemble GPU, clean it, change fan(s) and assemble again! Do the math and calculate losses (T_T)..

It's not as if all your fans are going to fail simultaneously. When one fails, just pull the card out and the rig can continue mining. Cleaning is not required. Each fan is usually held by 3 screws. Replacement can be done in ~10 minutes after performing it a few times. Periodic maintenance on the other hand would entail shutting the rig down, pulling it out of its rack, and unmounting each card to service the fans resulting in higher downtime. After 2 years each card would have made its initial cost back many times over so there is no need to be stingy on spending $15.
    @GaseousMaximus , finaly they will be looks like this GPU:

• oAPMooAPMo Member Posts: 97
    I used r9 280x gigabyte windforces, all of their fans are excellent, they look cheap and shity but 2 years 24/7, only cleaning them once and they still run flawless, on the other hand Asus r9 280x dc2t fans are complete shit, they failed to start or barely rotated after about 4-5months, completely died after 9months even with several cleaning attempts ( you can't clean the inside of the fan, if you try, you basically ruin the fan, maybe once you can clean it but then the plastic simply breaks). I learned to never buy any asus product in my life again, they failed me so many times from cd writers to mobos to gpu. A lot of people praise asus but its all fake hype, gigabyte/sapphire/xfx/msi are all good. Just got myself some vxt3d r9 390 (cheapest noname card), temps are good and I'd bet the fans won't die after 6months.