RX 470 vs RX 480 Hashrate / Power Consumption / Purchase Cost Comparison

kristofferjonkristofferjon Sagittarius AMember Posts: 77 ✭✭
Now that the RX 470 is out is it to be preferred over the RX 480. Comparison metrics are hash rate, power consumption, purchase cost, driver stability and availability.

Comments

• bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to see you posting your own findings in this topic.
  • kristofferjonkristofferjon Sagittarius AMember Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Once I have them in my physical possession I'll do that.
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    RX 470 = 25MH - 4GPU at 560 at the wall
    RX 480 = 27MH - 4GPU at 750 at the wall
  • kristofferjonkristofferjon Sagittarius AMember Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Thanks @cscheat - what OS are you running them on?
  • quake96321quake96321 Member Posts: 15
    undervolt vs stock voltage?
  • MadpacketMadpacket Member Posts: 25
    480 is a better card. 5*480 - 27Mh each @ 670W from the wall.

Thanks @cscheat - what OS are you running them on?

Win10 64bit

undervolt vs stock voltage?

undervolt
    Madpacket said:

480 is a better card. 5*480 - 27Mh each @ 670W from the wall.

can you share your settings?
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    @Madpacket

This setting would be interesting.
    I get 26-26.5mh/s per card for [email protected] wall for the whole rig.
  • EfterlysTEfterlysT Member Posts: 99
    I am tempted to build a six card 470 ref 4GB rig.
    Can someone confirm that the 4GB version have a mem clock limit at 1750Mhz ?
    If so, is there any way to fix that with a bios mod ?
  • StreetlightStreetlight Member Posts: 23
    EfterlysT said:

Been told that mem clock limit will be fix in the next driver update.
  • techtottechtot Member Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    How are you getting 27Mh/s with the 480's..What are your wattman settings? I thought most people were getting 24-25, like me.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    techtot said:

How are you getting 27Mh/s with the 480's..What are your wattman settings? I thought most people were getting 24-25, like me.

you can get 28 actually but you need to be stable at mem clock settings 2250.

have a look at my previous posted on the 480 with lots of different setups.

pick one that suites your requirements and you should be good to go.

Boysie

EfterlysT said:

Been told that mem clock limit will be fix in the next driver update.
    16.8.1 is out and its fixed my mem clock on my 470....playing with it now trying to get a higher hash rate but as usual its quite unstable still.
    @boysie -- what pool are you using and is it showing 27Mh/s along with showing that rate locally ?
    Also , does it take a few more watts to get 27 vs. 24 ?
    I give up the this driver is very poor quality, I wouldn't bother with this one either. Its terrible.

thx amd for wasting my time. again.
    techtot said:

@boysie -- what pool are you using and is it showing 27Mh/s along with showing that rate locally ?
    Also , does it take a few more watts to get 27 vs. 24 ?

you are going to need to read a few post about the 480s, not much point me re going through all that here. use a watt meter and use some setting you find on this forum some which I put up and you will get to where your system can cope and you are prepared to pay for. what pool I use wont help you much...
    I am trying to understand what the point of reference is when people report their hash rate. Hashrates are shown in many contexts 1) local rate being reported on your client/proxy 2) the pool rate 3) A "benchmark rate" or a 4) A test network hash rate.

The reason to ask "which pool" is because some report higher and some report lower hashrates for the same configuration..

• dephcondephcon Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2016
    I'm getting 27.5Mh/s on my Reference 480 8GBs at 2200mhz currently and I have (6) XFX 470 4GB XXX shipping on friday. I'm very interested to see what they can do.
    boysie said:

I give up the this driver is very poor quality, I wouldn't bother with this one either. Its terrible.

thx amd for wasting my time. again.

May I know what hashrate you are getting with your RX 470 (4gb) with latest driver???
    @dephcon, when you say you are getting 27.5Mh/s, could you tell me where that is being reported? (pool,client,proxy,etc)..
    @cscheat 22.1, exactly the same as the previous driver...this is at stock or @ -20%/800 1750/800

if I use ANY thing else it simply is useless and unusable, the 470s are extremely broken and the driver is a piss poor attempt by amd who clearly have grads with no coding skills what so ever releasing their software.

my advice for now is avoid the 470.
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    boysie said:

@cscheat 22.1, exactly the same as the previous driver...this is at stock or @ -20%/800 1750/800

if I use ANY thing else it simply is useless and unusable, the 470s are extremely broken and the driver is a piss poor attempt by amd who clearly have grads with no coding skills what so ever releasing their software.

my advice for now is avoid the 470.

better getting hands on used RX 480...going for 230-240€ in my country. RX 470 is available for 230€ in the 4GB version but i am not even considering those
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    did somebody managed to get nitro 470 8gb and manage to overclock? I was wondering is it possible to get 27mh and how much would be the power consumption
  • lex7lex7 Member Posts: 10
    RX 470 = 25.28 MH 8Gb version
  • StreetlightStreetlight Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2016
    This is what I got..

8Gb version RX = 25.5 & 260 Mh Sia, mem at 2100

6 x 470 8GB = 154Mh & 1539 mh Sia pulling 985watts from the wall.
    Post edited by Streetlight on
  • dephcondephcon Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2016
    @techtot That's according to claymore, according to ethermine.org my 24 hr average hashrate is ~160 (6 cards), but i've been doing maintenance and fixing the drivers.

Doesn't seem to much love for the 470, i really hope they hit the hashrate/watt sweet spot once the drivers catch up. I'm getting one of the first etail shipments in Canada re-directed to me, so i'm expecting the drivers to suck for about 30 days. They're still awful for the 480... I'm hoping the AIB tools will replace wattman, which will allow the use of the "driver-only package" :D
  • Blue1984Blue1984 Member Posts: 45
    Hello,
    i use SAPPHIRE NITRO RADEON RX 470 8G
    with Ubuntu

I have tested diffrence BIOS Version:

1. the Normal Standard BIOS
    24 mhs / 200 Watt (whole System)
    [url]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46174172/Screenshots/Standard.JPG[/url]

2. the OC Standard BIOS
    24 mhs / 240 Watt (whole System)
    [url]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46174172/Screenshots/OC.JPG[/url]

3. Change Values with the Polaris Editor
    24 mhs / 190 Watt (whole System)
    [url]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46174172/Screenshots/Test1.JPG[/url]

What values ​​do I need to change so that I reduce the power and the increasing MHS??

thx lg Martin
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Blue1984 said:

Hello,
    i use SAPPHIRE NITRO RADEON RX 470 8G
    with Ubuntu

I have tested diffrence BIOS Version:

1. the Normal Standard BIOS
    24 mhs / 200 Watt (whole System)
    [url]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46174172/Screenshots/Standard.JPG[/url]

2. the OC Standard BIOS
    24 mhs / 240 Watt (whole System)
    [url]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46174172/Screenshots/OC.JPG[/url]

3. Change Values with the Polaris Editor
    24 mhs / 190 Watt (whole System)
    [url]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46174172/Screenshots/Test1.JPG[/url]

What values ​​do I need to change so that I reduce the power and the increasing MHS??

thx lg Martin

Memory and core clock speed.
  • bluelogicbluelogic Member Posts: 86
    for the whole system that is pretty good. the RX 470s with 7000 MHz are the ones you want is doesn't have to be Sapphire