Issues with Wallet Download. No e-mail received.

ethergtethergt Member Posts: 1
I am on Firefox and having trouble downloading my wallet file. I also double checked my e-mail to see that it was inputted correctly and have not received an e-mail containing my wallet file (it's been more than 5 hours). How should I obtain my wallet file?

Comments

• DrTomeyDrTomey Member Posts: 3
    I was one of the people who close the browser before downloading my wallet. How long should I be waiting in till a confirmation email with my wallet or should I be requesting an email with my wallet?
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    @ethergt @DrTomey‌ - You are safe as long as you are in possession of your wallet and password, and keep them secure. In doubt, please email [email protected] - Cheers!
  • DrTomeyDrTomey Member Posts: 3
    Thanks and Congratulations to all at ethereum.
  • noob444noob444 Member Posts: 2
    I'm sorry for hijacking your thread, DrTomey. But I have a similar problem.

I'll try to keep it short:

I (tried to) purchase a couple of ETH yesterday. At the time there was no warning about using Firefox, which is my default browser. After six confirmations I was still not able to normally download the wallet file. After reading about it I emailed the helpdesk adress. 24 hours later I have still not recieved any confirmation or backup email. No reply from the "helpdesk".

Very dissapointed, would not buy again.

However, I did managed to download some kind of file. The file includes a long "ensceed"-string and some of my details, such as the provided email adress.

Please answer me this:

1) Is this the file I was supposed to be able to download, and receive in a backup email?

2) Am I supposed to store it securely? Do I need to the encrypt the file? Or is the file already encrypted with the password I provided when I purchased?

/noob444

@noob444, please contact helpdesk first of all. They are replying quite fast (I can see the monitor on my box), and can help you step by step with your questions.

Second, the file you have is your wallet. Don't lose or modify this file. The best way to keep it safe is to keep it on an encrypted USB and delete all traces of it from your email and computer. Then put the USB in a bank vault or similar.

Finally, don't lose your password.
  • noob444noob444 Member Posts: 2
    As I stated in my first message. I have already emailed the helpdesk, never received an answer. I've had enough of this by now.

Let me put it this way:
    What would happen if a hacker came across this file? He would still need need to know the password in order to steal the coins, right?
    @noob444‌, you are correct. That said, owning one from you would probably motivate the attacker from getting the other, so please keep both very very very safe.