Is it true that I'm entitled to the same amount of ETC coins as ETH?

medfly21medfly21 Member Posts: 32
So I was told I believe it was Kraken that they offered to match my ETH coins with ethereum classic. Is any of this true and if so how do I obtain my classic coins?
FYI I didn't have my ETH coins in my kraken account they were in my mist wallet.

Comments

• TermieTermie Member Posts: 130
    only if you had stored your ETH at the day of hard fork / block 192.000 at your Kraken or Poloniex account, they credited you the same amount as ETC.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    It's not so much that you get "more" or "new" coins. If you held Ethereum at the hard-fork, it means your balance now exist in two places - on the Eth (winning) chain, and on the ETC (losing) chain.
  • medfly21medfly21 Member Posts: 32
    Ok I think I get it now, basically I'm not getting any ETC because I stored my coins in my mist wallet. Thanks for clearing that up guys. =)
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    medfly21 said:

Ok I think I get it now, basically I'm not getting any ETC because I stored my coins in my mist wallet. Thanks for clearing that up guys. =)

That is incorrect.

If you had your ETH in your Mist wallet at the time of the hard fork, then you absolutely 100% have the same amount of ETC on the old chain.

Now, it's up to you on what you want to do with it. If it was a significant amount of ETH, then it might be worth your time to figure out how to split it out and sell off the ETC while it still has some limited value.

If it was only a small amount of ETC, then it may not be worth your time and effort. Up to you though.
  • techtottechtot Member Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    Be careful how you send it. If you just send from mist , it will send on both the ETC and ETH blockchains. I have been holding off until I have time to use the "ReplaySafeSplit" or whatever it is called. This forking sucks.
    Oh snap...I've already sent it to my coinbase wallet....=/ I hope that's not bad.
    MrYukonC said:

medfly21 said:

That is incorrect.

If you had your ETH in your Mist wallet at the time of the hard fork, then you absolutely 100% have the same amount of ETC on the old chain.

Now, it's up to you on what you want to do with it. If it was a significant amount of ETH, then it might be worth your time to figure out how to split it out and sell off the ETC while it still has some limited value.

If it was only a small amount of ETC, then it may not be worth your time and effort. Up to you though.
    It's worth my time...So the steps I've done so far are backup my old account info from mist and load mist on a fresh computer and clicked on the No I don't support the hard fork option but I don't see my ETC coins anywhere am I missing something? It only transferred my coins from my ETH account over. =/
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    coinbase/gdax has yet to credit users with ETHC and i doubt they will considering how greedy they are. I bet they sold them all for themselves already
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    MrYukonC said:
    Thank you I'll check this out when I get home today! =)
  • techtottechtot Member Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    @medfly21 Loading up two different Mists doesn't protect you. I created a new account on the new chain and it appeared on the ETC chain. I also have one comp with old wallet, and one with new. You have to send using the replaysplit thing to avoid double chain sends apparently. They really forked things up with this..

If you sent it all to coinbase on new fork, then the same transaction happened on the old fork but unless coinbase supports "Etc" which I don't think they do, it went to nowhere, and may or may not ever return..(speaking from experience, but not as a SME on chains)

techtot said:

@medfly21 Loading up two different Mists doesn't protect you. I created a new account on the new chain and it appeared on the ETC chain. I also have one comp with old wallet, and one with new. You have to send using the replaysplit thing to avoid double chain sends apparently. They really forked things up with this..

If you sent it all to coinbase on new fork, then the same transaction happened on the old fork but unless coinbase supports "Etc" which I don't think they do, it went to nowhere, and may or may not ever return..(speaking from experience, but not as a SME on chains)

So I did send it to coinbase after the fork and I'm pretty sure they don't support ETC yet. But when they do does that allow me to obtain my coins then? There's a lot of things that are still unclear to me so thank you in advance.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @medfly21 don't expect coinbase to ever support ETC. They've already spoken out about this.
    Damn so I'm I've pretty much lost my chance at free money?
    Thanks for the help guys
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    shutfu said:

coinbase/gdax has yet to credit users with ETHC and i doubt they will considering how greedy they are. I bet they sold them all for themselves already

Was Coinbase even doing ETH before the HF? I just received the notice from them several days ago about ETH support, I believe.
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    they had it on their exchange, gdax, long before the hardfork. But as far as on the coinbase website, that came much later, right around the time of the hard fork. Fuck coinbase though. Worse than paypal. Greedy greedy greedy