51% attack pool against ETC

Comments

• oslakoslak Member Posts: 191
    What about inviting @syaoran99 to this pool if created. I think guo is small compared to him.
  • seanz123seanz123 Member Posts: 36
    Invite all, I'm sure we will need help actually creating the pool though.
  • wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Ok. Feel the need to step in here. All of you are here fucking around with plotting an attack on Ethereum Classic. Get this- some people believe that ethereum shouldn't have hard forked. I personally was on the fence, and I didn't care, until now all of you are screaming your asses off complaining that ETC supporters are kicking and screaming about loosing. Look- you invest in crypto, you invest into the risk of it. When Mt. Gox collapsed and lost millions, did Bitcoin hard fork and pussy out? FUCK NO! OK? I'm fine that ethereum hard forked. Yay, people got their funds back, and that's that. Consequence of hard fork- not 100% of people agreed, and a second chain was born. So be it. Investing in crypto has a risk, and those people that believe in ETC support the idea of eating the acid that comes with crypto, not pussying out. I will reiterate- I am PERFECTLY FUCKING FINE WITH THE HARD FORK- but that DOESNT mean fucking ATTACK THE OLD CHAIN! THIS IS WHY CRYPTO CANT TAKE OFF! BECAUSE YOU IDIOTS PURPOSELY ATTACK ANOTHER BLOCKCHAIN! Goddamnit you guys aren't helping SHIT by attacking ETC. go do something more productive with your life, and quit threatening shit, alright? Just leave ETC alone Jesus fucking christ
    You people are like 12 year old minecraft noobs. Jesus, you're mad that ETC half succeeded. Quit complaining about ETC supporters kicking and screaming if you're gonna be fucking hypocrites. I'm mining ETH, and that's not changing. However, quit PURPOSELY DESTROYING CRYPTO! Alright?
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @wirelessnet2 Have you read the whole thread? ETC is being highjacked by BTC fanatics with the sole intent to use it to disrupt the entire Ethereum project. Get it? This is way more serious than you, obviously, know and/or believe. And you must be a 12 year old to resort to such a vulgar tirade to express yourself.
    edited July 2016
    K. A few things. 1.- A request to a credible source about the Bitcoin supporter hijack. I've heard of it floating around the forums, but no actual solid support. 2. How will BTC supporter screw over the entire ethereum project by screwing over the old chain? The "new" chain should be fine, yeah replay attacks but like... You need to get a new address on the new chain then. Not really a valid point
  • luxuriantluxuriant Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    "ETC is being highjacked by BTC fanatics with the sole intent to use it to disrupt the entire Ethereum project" what a bullshit? Do you really think that Ethereum can be destroyed? Why do you actually think, that ETC was hijacked by BTC fanatics? ETC was hijacked by the same people like you, me or someone else from original Ethereum. This projects can peacefully coexist in this world. One will go this way, and another - that way.

All that mess started because of some motherfucker, who hacked theDAO. Do you agree with me? So why all of you, guys, trying to create another shitty mess, talking about 51%? Stop this shit already!!! Just stop!!! People are tired of this stresses, don't add another one. Or you think, that your probable attack will bring something good to community?

Look at the price of Ethereum - it is stable. Everything has just started to stabilize, but you are talking about creating another one mess to the whole Ethereum community. So, I'm asking, do you really think, that you are better than that fucking hacker, who cracked TheDao??? Just think about it.
    @wirelessnet2 I would say, if I were the BTC folks, I'd try to ensure that no "solid evidence" is available to "prove" they are behind this; that would make things more difficult for them. So, if that's what you need, you may never find it, until perhaps the damage is done. As to how they can screw over the HF chain, I'll let other more experienced blockchain gurus chime in. However, I don't believe anyone thinks the BTC gang is anything less than bright and motivated (and probably well funded), and to try to divine what they can and can't do isn't realistic, to me. No one saw the DAO debacle coming, either, even though everyone had their eyes on it.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @luxuriant you are one of the clueless ETC supporters that needs to learn a lesson I guess. If you really can't even see the unbelievably patent attempts by at least 2 blockstream/core developers to create divide in the Ethereum community, then you must not be paying attention.

This "mess" didn't start with TheDarkDAO... it started with a small number of people being complicit with TheDarkDAO and refusing to accept community consensus.

@dlehenky heh, ya... my "anger" (hint: not at all angry) in this thread is mostly sacrcastic, but it's intended to make a point too.

@wirelessnet2 comparing Mt Gox to TheDAO is nothing short of stupid. Hard-forking to "fix" the MtGox theft was impossible - the funds were long gone by the time anyone knew. On the other hand, TheDAO was a very unique situation where all funds were in a known place for a set time period. There's no other example in crypto's (short) history that comes anywhere close to TheDAO. Trying to compare ANYTHING in crypto history to the recent Ethereum hardfork is just plain silly.

Attacking the weaker chain serves a very specific purpose - to prove one chain dominant, once and for all. ETC is seriously weak by comparison to Eth, and proving that ETC offers nothing in the way of immutability would be a grand lesson for many.
    Post edited by work on
  • mool_manmool_man Member Posts: 47
    i think that Bitcoin community who mine the ETC
  • snowcap420snowcap420 Member Posts: 19
    work said:

@luxuriant you are one of the clueless ETC supporters that needs to learn a lesson I guess. If you really can't even see the unbelievably patent attempts by at least 2 blockstream/core developers to create divide in the Ethereum community, then you must not be paying attention.

This "mess" didn't start with TheDarkDAO... it started with a small number of people being complicit with TheDarkDAO and refusing to accept community consensus.

@dlehenky heh, ya... my "anger" (hint: not at all angry) in this thread is mostly sacrcastic, but it's intended to make a point too.

@wirelessnet2 comparing Mt Gox to TheDAO is nothing short of stupid. Hard-forking to "fix" the MtGox theft was impossible - the funds were long gone by the time anyone knew. On the other hand, TheDAO was a very unique situation where all funds were in a known place for a set time period. There's no other example in crypto's (short) history that comes anywhere close to TheDAO. Trying to compare ANYTHING in crypto history to the recent Ethereum hardfork is just plain silly.

Attacking the weaker chain serves a very specific purpose - to prove one chain dominant, once and for all. ETC is seriously weak by comparison to Eth, and proving that ETC offers nothing in the way of immutability would be a grand lesson for many.

Bro your such a nobody and you arent going to do anything with your retarded pool plan but waste yours and anyones eles electricty thats involved.Go back to playing with yourself in the dark.
    edited July 2016
    Ive also added my 18k mh power to the ETC chain go ahead and attack these balls in your mouth.lmao BTW you may want to mine and keep some ETC so you will have some profits after ETH burns up.
    ETH is Done Put a fork in it
  • garrett92895garrett92895 Member Posts: 39
    @snowcap420
    Ive also added my 18k mh power to the ETC chain ...

18k mh? That's an interesting way of saying 18 GH/s.
  • seanz123seanz123 Member Posts: 36
    @snowcap420 This will hardly be a waste. The pool will mine ETH until it's over 400 GH/s then aim its hashing power at ETC. One day of profit loss is nothing.

ETC is a scam coin pumped up by whales and probably influence by competitors.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    I personally don't see the point of a 51% attack. ETC is a pump and dump speculators short term shitcoin. It has nothing of substance behind it. It's the darkside of ethereum where people think it's better to let massive theft go ahead rather than break some abstract sense of "the immutibility of the code" who don't live in the real world. It can't succeed because it has nowhere to go other than mining so that people can make a short term profit until the DAO thieves dump their coins and it's price dives to zero. I has no developer community, no future improved DAOs that anyone would ever trust. It's the ghetto of the ethereum world.

Don't waste your energy or time on it. Forget about it and it will go away soon enough without the need for any 51% attack.

It would be ironic however to see if the ETC lovers were to cry if they suffered an attack, since they are the supporters of "the code is the law" and 51% attacks are just a possibility within the code.
  • solid12345solid12345 Member Posts: 1
    Just out of curiosity how come no one is talking of doing a 51% attack against Expanse? Is it because they have a tiny marketcap? To me if this is really about principles you should attack ALL non-ETH chains instead of just the one that could potentially effect your pocketbook.
    @solid12345 Expanse is it's own blockchain, not a (non)fork of ETH. They don't disrupt the ETH blockchain in any way. There's no possibility of replaying transactions between forks. Etc. Expanse is to ETH like LTC is to BTC; it's a fork of the code base, not a fork of the blockchain.
    newmz said:

I personally don't see the point of a 51% attack. ETC is a pump and dump speculators short term shitcoin. It has nothing of substance behind it. It's the darkside of ethereum where people think it's better to let massive theft go ahead rather than break some abstract sense of "the immutibility of the code" who don't live in the real world. It can't succeed because it has nowhere to go other than mining so that people can make a short term profit until the DAO thieves dump their coins and it's price dives to zero. I has no developer community, no future improved DAOs that anyone would ever trust. It's the ghetto of the ethereum world.

Don't waste your energy or time on it. Forget about it and it will go away soon enough without the need for any 51% attack.

It would be ironic however to see if the ETC lovers were to cry if they suffered an attack, since they are the supporters of "the code is the law" and 51% attacks are just a possibility within the code.

^ Mostly agree with this. The last sentence in particular tho, I think, is half the point of this idea. If there isn't an attack on the weaker chain at some point, there won't be any reason for people to think that mining on a 3rd split off chain is a bad idea, or a 4th split off chain, etc... Whereas TheDarkDAO honestly can't be seen as precedent setting because of the extreme unique circumstances surrounding it (such as time-locked funds), allowing the losing chain to survive is most definitely precedent setting.
  • LeChuckDELeChuckDE Member Posts: 46
    https://medium.com/@Stampery/why-stampery-supports-ethereum-classic-4c86ec7cca17#.r3ncz8zdl

Whoops one supporter is out....
    will see how many will follow .....
    By the way more and more ETH Pools are shutting down
    the same from so much Big BTC Holders... they are in ETC not ETH ....

We could talk together when ETH is dead...
    Are you not seeing that only a few big eth holders are manipulating for there bests ?
  • blckeaglsblckeagls Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2016
    LeChuckDE said:

https://medium.com/@Stampery/why-stampery-supports-ethereum-classic-4c86ec7cca17#.r3ncz8zdl

Whoops one supporter is out....
    will see how many will follow .....
    By the way more and more ETH Pools are shutting down
    the same from so much Big BTC Holders... they are in ETC not ETH ....

We could talk together when ETH is dead...
    Are you not seeing that only a few big eth holders are manipulating for there bests ?

Won't be immuteable for long...
  • ocminerocminer Member Posts: 37
    If the 51% attack would be successful, wouldn't that be a big, big problem for ETH too? A similar attack could be placed on ETH too.. And everyone knows it would work because it worked before, even the code would be available...

Uhmm.. I wouldn't invest or trust in something that vulnerable...
    @ocminer I guess you don't quite understand what a 51% attack is. If you did, you'd realize that it would take at least 8 times as much hash power to attack ETH compared to ETC. So, no, a successful attack on ETC would not mean the same thing could be done to ETH. Any blockchain using PoW to secure it is vulnerable to a 51% attack, but that means the attacker has to have slightly more than the current network hash rate to succeed.
  • ocminerocminer Member Posts: 37
    Believe me, I know very well what a 51% attack is, how it works and what you'd need :)
    @ocminer Then I don't understand your comment, but that's fine. No worries. I don't think anything like this is going to happen anyway.
    @ocminer clearly it wouldn't be a problem for Eth, because Eth actually has sufficient hashrate to secure the blockchain. ETC, on the other hand, probably does not. It's the "losing"/"weaker" chain for a reason, those aren't just random terms.

You can 51% any PoW coin. The "code" to do it isn't anything special.

-- had to trim the end off this post because the forum keeps censoring it... like serious??? --
    edited July 2016
    Let's see how broken I have to make this message to get it past the censors...

If you haven't seen this news article yet, remove the spaces:
    news.bit coin.com / ethereum-attack-classic

This thread is famous it seems.

If that doesn't give you a clear picture of who thinks they have the most to benefit from ETC's existence, then nothing can show you.

[I am super annoyed I had to break up that URL in order to post this... seriously forum moderators?]
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Hay guys, I read about this post on

https://news.bitcoin.com/ethereum-attack-classic/

it's all over the net and your name at the top "seanz123" You will be held responsible

People can run whatever code they want. You don't have to attack anyone. That sort of talk is bad for all coins. @seanz123 what would your mother think? Grow up. School holiday is it?
    People that support ETC, go get a forum of your own. And stop this p*ssing contest.
    @ocminer clearly it wouldn't be a problem for Eth, because Eth actually has sufficient hashrate to secure the blockchain. ETC, on the other hand, probably does not. It's the "losing"/"weaker" chain for a reason, those aren't just random terms.

You can 51% any PoW coin. The "code" to do it isn't anything special.

If anyone hasn't seen yet, this thread made bitcoin news:
    https://news.bitcoin.com/ethereum-attack-classic/

If that article showing up on news.bitcoin.com doesn't give you a clear picture of who thinks they will most benefit from ETC's existence, then nothing can show you.
    @greenuser From a strictly technical mining standpoint, ETH and ETC are one, so the technical posts are fine. It's all this political/philosophical/dogmatic crap that I'd like to see go elsewhere, even if it's just a different Discussion category that I can at least try to ignore (perhaps, occasionally, when I'm not trying to avoid tiling). :)