Interaction with Ethereum/Ethereum Browser

JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
What direction are people thinking with interaction with Ethereum. One approach is that it(edit: an Ethereum application) is just something you go to when you want to do something with Ethereum, and Ethereum just provides something like 'Ethereum apps' that help people make interfaces to their contracts.

Another approach, which i like more, is to have Ethereum be a more persistent backend to a browser, and provide two other things; sending data between nodes directly, and putting data in the system.(like magnet links) Gavin Wood introduced this idea as whisper and swarm at a point.('The Ethereum experience', web3.0 posts) The addition of a browser with javascript bindings is a step towards this, but so is parts of the Douglas project.(Which is currently using Ethereum and magnet links for web-pages)

Their approaches are slightly different though, and generally, there are different approaches to it. The ethereum wiki is closed, so I wrote in the BitVote wiki about it. So i am interested in what you think. Feel free to edit the wiki. Wikis are for convergent(as opposed to divergent) thinking, though. (You dont need to agree with me, but you shouldnt throw streams of conciousness in there.)
Post edited by Jasper on

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Screenshots from the presentation that Jasper is alluding to, in case you missed it: http://www.slideshare.net/ethereum/the-ethereum-experience.
  • wetplantwetplant Member Posts: 16
    It should power a browser. Alternatively, on a macro-level, maybe Ethereum will get swept into a larger browser (assuming there are competitors to Ethereum) that allows dapps running on different alt-currencies. IMHO, Web 3.0 / Bitcoin 2.0 will follow the same pattern as the "World Wide Web" in the early 1990s. The early stages will focus on core functionality (i.e., getting a core group of several million people on the network by making the technology more useful than existing tech). Once that core group is collected, access will be simplified to grow the network so that it reaches billions on the planet from toddlers to old people (e.g., Mosaic --> proliferation of modern browsers --> the app ecosystem).
  • harveybastidasharveybastidas Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2014
    @Jasper, i do not understand your first approach, but as you, i like the second approach.

Reading your publication i think that the best option for deployment will be a server listening on a port (or ports) like in Freenet. So programs can make queries to the program and the Browsers included mobile ones can use the program as a proxy to serve the marketplace or whatever you want to show in the Browser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freenet

They have an API to make client applications (storage, messaging) that connect to that local (and/or remote) server wich is a Freenet node.

One interesting note is that you can add in the installation package of Ethereum a Browser preconfigured to use the proxy, so users do not have to mess with configurations, Tor includes a modified Firefox browser.

The other options are difficult to adopt by some users and you will probably end losing valuable user segments.
    Post edited by harveybastidas on
  • vaXvaX Austin, TXMember Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    ϟΔ☾℞☰Ð geometry
  • awrelllawrelll BucurestiMember Posts: 65 ✭✭
    so, what's PHP gonna be?
  • JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    You mean what plays a similar role in decentralized websites? Ethereum does some logic and storage that require consensus, and magnet links can be referenced, with consensus too. I suppose the browser will have to do all the logic stemming from that.

I think if the database is is large, downloading that is the biggest limitation, not the computation.. Maybe could use merkle tree mechanisms to allow random servers to prove they're sending the right data upon request.
  • EthereumFan0001EthereumFan0001 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All - Not sure if this is the right area to post this but...

I'm looking for virtual team mates to help work on customized Dapp "back-end" as discussed herein. I've done the "easy" part of creating a front-end UI that is being reviewed by an executive-level business partner, but - given my Engineering (not software) background, I need to partner with someone with a pretty deep grasp of Ethereum back-end requirements & architecture.

Please do contact me at JJBJManagement(at)Gmail(Dot)Com to discuss details.
  • JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but yeah, that is in the wrong area. Jobs & Skills section of the forum is for that. Btw a related issue to this is 'which program signs the transactions'. That thing is basically able to determine what the user sends.
  • aatkinaatkin Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    The Eris project (Project Douglas) has a cool C3D browser front end. I like it.