Does anyone think Ethereum's value will raise like Bitcoin?

AndrewAndrew Member Posts: 19
The final sentence on the Ether Pre-sale blog is "And the constant issuance, especially in the early years, will likely make using ETH to build businesses in the Ethereum economy more lucrative than hoarding speculatively."

A) This leads me to think there won't be thousands+% increase in the value like there was in Bitcoin in '13. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does anyone plan on just purchasing Ether if they're not using it for contracts/etc?

B) I'm not a computer programmer but am absolutely fascinated with Ethereum, and absolutely understand the decentralization concept and think it's going to be the future. How can I participate if I'm not able to do programming, etc?

Comments

• AndrewAndrew Member Posts: 19
    getting lots of views... but no comments? Anyone have an opinion?
  • JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    I, for one dont know how quickly this will go, how many will adopt, and how much value that entails. If it is all very fast it is likely the value will increase, and there is a lot contracts can offer.
  • davidpbrowndavidpbrown London, UKMember Posts: 15
    edited April 2014
    At such an early stage there are too many factors to every be sure. As an early investor, you look to supporting the idea rather than knowing for sure there will be an absurd ROI. It depends what Ethereum offers and then how it is used relative to other offerings. That sentence you've picked up on, doesn't necessarily suggest no ROI relative to other crypto offerings but just emphasises the point that making use of ETH is the better route forward. I suspect that made useful it could take off rapidly as the market participants will be a larger number by then. It's hard just now to be sure who will find Ethereum most useful. Later it'll likely become much more clear to many more developers what is possible. If you're using crypto and providing a services that are an attractor for gathering ETH, then you will do well.
  • btc_warbtc_war Member Posts: 4
    It depends. If it were to be released today, and bitcoin [the ´reserve currency of the crypto-world´] continues its downtrend to lets say 300-200. Ether would lose a lot of value in terms of fiat similar to most altcoins that go down faster than bitcoin in downtrends.

However, if it were to be released a few months later when bitcoin finally manages to get out of the downtrend and into an uptrend. Ether would rise faster. As new people flow into bitcoin, they will want to compare it to the better alternatives and subsequently stumble upon Ethereum, start buying Ether, and may even prefer Ethereum over Bitcoin if it all works out.

This is my guess on what could happen to Ether price-wise.
  • ADSactlyCryptoADSactlyCrypto Vineland, OntarioMember Posts: 7 ✭✭
    I Agree with btc_war in the next 2 - 4 Months the Global Financial System is going to be Shaken by the Crypto World.
  • ADSactlyCryptoADSactlyCrypto Vineland, OntarioMember Posts: 7 ✭✭
    I Agree with btc_war in the next 2 - 4 Months the Global Financial System is going to be Shaken by the Crypto World.
    edited May 2014
    @reignbeau,

I dont see how the fact that other altcoins exist would slow down Ether´s appreciation considering it is far more advanced than most of them and people would be gladly dump their weak altcoins for Ether.

As for bitcoin and or litecoin being in a bubble.. They have not even reached their full potential yet and are far away from market saturation. The bitcoin ´bubble´ could go on for many more years.

Since Ether is a crypto-currency, I don´t see how one can assume it wont behave similarly to other crypto-currencies in terms of market behavior.
    @btc_war: Clearly Ethereum is a unique cryptocurrency. They dont like to be called an altcoin for a reason, because it misses the point of contracts. Think something like consensus engine is better. Ethers are sort-of neccesarily for it.

Wonder if an item of value is needed for a consensus engine.. If so, in the context of namecoin... Zookoos square: You cannot have all of Secure, Decentralized, Human-meaningful, Not involving value.

Perhaps you mean how behaves in a context of a reserve currency... Well bitcoin holders investing in ethereum will in-effect have less to spend, but for people holding fiat the time they hold bitcoins only matters for them?

@reignbeau 'the next big thing' isnt just some elephant that is going to run by, and people can hop on its back. People(we?!) are working on them.
  • kuyonkuyon Member Posts: 5
    The matter of fact is: nobody knows the future. All the predictions, no matter how educated and sophisticated, are just pure speculations, and if you are looking to invest, you should not take into account any of that. This is a high risk and possibly high reward venture, and thus you should consider your investment as a lost capital as soon as you get involved. So adjust the size of the investment as well as your emotional state to such reality. Anybody expecting that there will or there won't be a high appreciation, and in what timeframe, is just bullshiting themselves. Markets and events have always their own course, and there is no rationale that would make you to see it forwardly. The only certainty we have is uncertainty.
    @kuyon well said. But remember, just because you're not investing in Ethereum doesnt mean you shouldnt try make use of the things living on it :)
  • kuyonkuyon Member Posts: 5
    @Jasper, that's right, and I never meant to imply anything like that. I like this project, and I want to invest in IPO not only because I possibly see a good risk-reward-ratio, but also because I want to support decentralization and innovation. Not a coder, so no chances to participate at that end.
  • jabo38jabo38 Member Posts: 7
    I doubt Ethereum's price will go up so much. Bitcoin came out of nowhere and took everybody by surprise. Ethereum is the exact opposite, it is being hyped and hyped and hyped. There are few people in this scene that don't know of Ethereum. I'm also pretty sure that a ton of them will be investing in hour one. This probably means their will be a dump afterwards. To get rich, you want to be on the scene before everybody else. Only the developers of Ethereum will be able to say this. Usually the more hype the more the dump afterwards and ohhhhhh how Ethereum has advertised.

You want to know something. I am still going to invest. Their advertising has convinced me.
  • mykljonzunmykljonzun Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2014
    Now that the true potential of the Ethereum ecosystem has been revealed...
    ...the more one can envision an endless array of distributed applications (DApps) with their own unique altcoins--the source of their initial and ongoing funding--interacting with other DApps through the exchange of data and coins. It is through this open market process that each DApp and their corresponding altcoin will find their natural functional niche (and corresponding exchange value) in the larger secure multiparty computational marketplace.

If Ethereum's distributed application platform works, there's gonna be an explosion of value throughout the entire cybercurrency marketplace.
    I agree, i mean it may be hyped, but it can also do a lot more things than bitcoin.

Video says 'contains content from WMG' when i try play it.. Falsely flagged, i suppose?
    jabo38,

Barely anyone outside of the crypto world knows about Ethereum. When bitcoin start bubbling up and new meat enters bitcoin, many will look for 'the next bitcoin'.

This is why litecoin went up so high last November-December by people who thought they missed the bitcoin boat..

I predict something similar will happen with Ether some point in the future.
  • blkcmbblkcmb New York CityMember Posts: 3
    I am very bullish about Ethereum simply because the crypto space is growing very quickly and many people are informed and understand what Ethereum aims to be. However, I think Bitcoin has, up to this point failed in resonating with the public. One approach could be to shape the Ethereum narrative in a manner that is applicable to people's everyday lives, rather than focusing on the complexity of the project. That strategy could lead to quicker mass adoption.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Best post ever
  • blkcmbblkcmb New York CityMember Posts: 3
    @vaX I agree with the ethos of everything you said. Perhaps I am a bit hasty in my approach.
  • arkbg1arkbg1 Louisville, KentuckyMember Posts: 3 ✭✭
    @vaX great post man! Think we could get that message set to a beat like beast1333s ABCs?

BEAST 1333 - A.B.C.'s RESISTANCE ALPHABET (LYRICS):
  • joshuad31joshuad31 Member Posts: 30