Am I the only one? - Upset Wives/Husband Club

thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
Figured I'd start this thread to see what others are doing to appease their wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends/life partner due to their mining efforts.

I currently have a 1.1Ghs farm running in my basement laundry room where our furnace is located. The Mrs is complaining about the constant noise of my farm from the fans used to exhaust heat to the fans on the cards. I've done everything possible in my power to compromise and make her happy but it's not working lol...Its to the point that I just shut everything down today because I'm tired of hearing the complaining. I've given her $1k cash to remodel the upstairs bathroom to her liking and funds to purchase a new central AC system to replace our aging one thinking it may change her tune, but she still complains lol (bangs head).

So since running the farm in the house is out and I'm not big enough to rent office space, I'm looking at buying a cheap metal shed from Lowes and insulating it to the max to house the miners. I'm just worried about outside ambient temps if I plan to not use AC but exhaust the hot air.

So, am I the only one that receives this type of loving support!! /sarcasm

Comments

• workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I'd be single again quite quickly if someone was complaining about my mining!

"Wife acceptance factor" is definitely pretty low with blower type cards. If you have them in a living space, the sapphire tri-x cards (or similar) run quiet enough that it's tollerable having a rig right next to your TV.
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    My to rigs run in a separate room, and we hear nearly nothing, when the temps are higher i place a fan that is a bit louder but it works fine.
    My wife helps me where she can ;)
  • stoonstoon Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    I would think that buying(building) a shed, running power, intake and exhaust, rain/snow control; would all amount to a lot of time and/or money. You could try and find another person mining in the area and share a place or even a rental house.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I just rub her tummy occasionally while I'm working. :)
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously though, relationships only work if *both* parties can pursue what brings them happiness. The noise in a downstairs furnace room is an inconvenience, but to consider that important enough to stop you from engaging in an activity that you clearly enjoy, *and* is cash positive, is not a loving action on your wife's part, in my opinion. Then again, I'm divorced after 30+ years of marriage and couldn't be happier, so ...
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Find somone that has the same interests as you.... and/or is supportive in your interests.
    I know it is pricey parting out a spouse but well worth it in the long run as you only live once and you can't take your cash with you.
    It is a wife's job to be supportive. Tell her that and.... cut out giving her money until she for-fills her role/duties. Who wears the trousers in your house? You earn the money yes?

If you were my husband and you gave me $1k.... not only could you fill any room of the house with mining gear without me complaining, you would get a bj and a cooked breakfast every morning too.

Warm wishes

Paula ;)
  • gaineraidgaineraid Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2016
    yeah I know the feeling mine doesn't complain so much about the noise but I've got my rig setup in the baby's room open air literally no case just cards propped on top my computer case. She's scared our little girl going to stick a finger in a fan. But her crib is in our room and she hardly goes in there. I just need to build me a case that's toddler friendly. Other than that only thing I get the occasional stink eye if mention building another rig.

Maybe you could try sound insulation to cut back some of the noise.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @gaineraid surround the rig with fine wire-mesh, heh. Just don't forget to take some pictures and share them after =p
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    Hang in there @thesmokingman that can be tough. My wife has complained but has come around and she is ultimately supportive of the cash positive aspect, supporting me in this hobby/investment and trusting me to come through which I think is a big part of what it comes down to (support and trust).

She actually freaked out a little bit when I was ramping up and had like 5 boxes coming every day for like a week. For my setup it's loud with lots of box fans to help with the heat from my 390's (running 475MH right now) but it's in the basement. Problem is to use the gameroom in the finished portion I have to power down and cool things off to let the kiddos play (expensive playtime!). I'm just a little concerned that with no good external exhaust system figured out yet and heat rising to the upstairs causing the AC to overwork in the summer heat. Can't wait until it gets cooler out!
  • dylanlaird44dylanlaird44 Member Posts: 29
    bitcanuck said:

Time to upgrade to wife 2.0. :-)

implement marriage hard fork

• oslakoslak Member Posts: 191
    This is quite fun to read. She thinks you are wasting money and your time with your rig- you have not just one but several(and eating up space) which she probably do not understand the purpose yet. Let her know it wouldn't be permanent and give her a timeline. No need to spend on anything else.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I started out with Bitcoin ASIC miners. And those are crazy loud compared to any Reference GPUs out there.

I had S4, S5, loud server PSUs, etc.

I am pretty sure my significant other has gotten used to the noise and has adapted to a large tolerance to fan noise.

Now with GPU miners, she is surprised why the house is so quiet lately.

I am really surprised your basement is that loud that you can hear your miners from upstairs? GPU fans are nearly silent. You must have loud exhaust fans or have all your Reference GPU fans set at 90%.

• Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    @greenuser
    I dont know where you live but my wife earns nearly exactly the same as me and there are no "throusers".
    Every part brings the same amount of money/work.
    @thesmokingman just tie her up and do her hard, the fans will dround the screams. ;)
  • CALIGVLACALIGVLA Member Posts: 20

Figured I'd start this thread to see what others are doing to appease their wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends/life partner due to their mining efforts.

I currently have a 1.1Ghs farm running in my basement laundry room where our furnace is located. The Mrs is complaining about the constant noise of my farm from the fans used to exhaust heat to the fans on the cards. I've done everything possible in my power to compromise and make her happy but it's not working lol...Its to the point that I just shut everything down today because I'm tired of hearing the complaining. I've given her $1k cash to remodel the upstairs bathroom to her liking and funds to purchase a new central AC system to replace our aging one thinking it may change her tune, but she still complains lol (bangs head).

So since running the farm in the house is out and I'm not big enough to rent office space, I'm looking at buying a cheap metal shed from Lowes and insulating it to the max to house the miners. I'm just worried about outside ambient temps if I plan to not use AC but exhaust the hot air.

So, am I the only one that receives this type of loving support!! /sarcasm

Seriously, don't be a bitchtitty.
    edited July 2016
    Seriously,... Take her out to somewhere she likes, spend a little time with her, buy her flowers, but also tell her that you need to talk. Tell her that what you are involved in is making history, tell her that it is of extreme importance for your country and it is a safety net for when the global financial system melts down. What you are doing is and will be about survival and you need her to be strong, supportive and to assist you.

I'm sure you support her in some way... all you ask is she treats you with the same respect.
    Also tell her that spending money on stuff like bathrooms will have to be curbed if this crypto currency mining operation does not work out.

If it has to be moved as part of a compromise.... don't buy a metal shed, buy an old caravan,.... less condensation (I don't know your climate). Also, try clocking your fans at slightly different speeds to spread the sound wider over the frequency spectrum. Cards in the middle have faster then the end ones.

But stand your ground, if you make a concession here... where will it end?

• BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Tell her if the miners go off her fancy new bathroom can take a running jump.

I cleansed my life of ungrateful naggers, maybe you should consider the single life?
    edited July 2016
    BUTUZ said:

I cleansed my life of ungrateful naggers, maybe you should consider the single life?

Me too... i spent a little time alone after that but eventually met someone who is supportive, encouraging and appreciative.
    @thesmokingman I know it is not nice to feel the way you do at the moment but remember.... you will not always feel like this. It does not last forever, nothing does. Tomorrow is another day.

Good luck!
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Wow that is a very upbeat post thanks for that!! Ps. I am not unhappy :)
  • MokeyMokey Member Posts: 37
    I can't imagine my life without a smartphone in my hands. By the way, now I actively use flirt online app and I like it incredibly. I have in mind a few beautiful girls with whom I constantly communicate on romantic topics. Do you use mobile apps for Dating and flirting?