ethOS

13»

Comments

• wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    ethos actually isn't bad... I really liked it. I modded the OS and installed Teamviewer and Firefox, but that's about it. It boots and starts mining, no hassle.
  • stoonstoon Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    I have been using EthOS for about 3 weeks now. I really like how stable it is, my rigs can run for a long time(days) without issues. The only reason I have to reboot them is I try to tweak the settings and the card locks up. Or upgrade or add more GPU's to the rigs. I have a rig with all the same cards and a couple rigs with different cards and it handles them really well. If your running dedicated mining rigs its a better choice. The only con I have is, I can't get my voltages to change. I believe it can't be done in this version but it might be me.
    I was using windows 10 before and it would crash and stop mining everyday. IMP Windows is great for people that mine when they aren't using there PC's for everyday uses or that aren't savvy with computers.
  • zedzednovazedzednova Member Posts: 53
    ditto said:

If you want pretty stuff you might as well use Windows or Mac. XD

Hey now, show the Mac at least a little respect! :) I have a Mac and it's running cgminer managing a GekkoScience Compac mining BTC dust. It's a hobby miner. Oh yeah, and I had to build cgminer on the Mac, but that's not a big deal, and tune the Compac to run the core at 0.80 volt @ 325 MHz for 17.9 Gh/s.

I'm dipping my toes into ETH mining with a 4 GPU mobo combo pack from @kotarius and an R7 370 4G that I picked up from elsewhere. I like the idea of ethOS. KISS principle works for me, and ethOS seems pretty simple and straightforward.

I'll follow up when I'm up and mining, probably next week sometime.

- zed
  • MagnusDMagnusD Member Posts: 1
    I must say that I am really satisfied with the ethos and the support i got in the IRC for getting started. I was a total newbie just one week ago and now the rig is running stable since then. I think that the ethOS should be paid for as it saved me time compared to other setups. I bought my second license for my second rig today.
  • zedzednovazedzednova Member Posts: 53

I'll follow up when I'm up and mining, probably next week sometime.

OK, so I can't read a calendar. I've been mining for almost three weeks now using the mobo combo I bought from @kotarius and it's been working great. Just a few tweaks to the config and everything's been working great since.

With some advice on tuning the MSI R7 370 Gaming 4G, see other threads on this site for more info, ethermine.org reports I'm getting a 16.1 MH/s effective hash rate over the last 24 hours.

Cheers,

- zed
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    Well I went ahead and ordered the SSD/ethos so I'll let you guys know what I think soon!
  • wsanchezwsanchez Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone connected Ethos and MiningRigRentals?
  • buffybuffy Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    We made simple ethOS Monitor for Android phones. If you want, try it.
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/7956/ethos-monitor-free-android-app
    edited July 2016
    few day ago some people visited small goat with red eyes and they don't see public statistics :) funny. How many people saw small goat? :)

• patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    I guess everyone who is using ethOS, me included. Solved quick by sending an e-mail with the my number. ethOS is nice!
    Everyone? I'm not sure. I'm testing one rig without licence for developing android app and I see public statistics OK. ethOS is great. I will buy a licence if I stay on Linux.
  • hvalentinohvalentino Member Posts: 105
    yeah if you guys bought the license, is not a problem, just send an email and that's it
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭

yeah if you guys bought the license, is not a problem, just send an email and that's it

I don't think for most it's an issue of providing proof, but how this was handled. I can't think of any service providers that terminate functionality without some sort of grace period for reconciliation.

I'm in a similar boat as kilo and have purchased ethOS, but have used that license for other rigs that I was testing. I've really enjoyed using ethOS and even defended it on MULTIPLE occasions in numerous threads, but no way I can defend this. I would of at least placed a countdown notification on the web stats panel that states the panel will no longer be available after X date if license status hasn't been verified. Also, they should have everyone's email address that's purchased a copy of ethOS or placed an order on their site that included ethOS. Why not send out a mass email informing everyone of their upcoming actions?

At this point I would rather donate the money I would of used to purchase additional licenses to donate to Buffy for her custom stats panel and to pay someone on Freelancer.com to build an iOS stats app that hopefully can be used from my Apple watch also...

Here's to hoping PIMP releases there mining OS sooner rather than later..
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @thesmokingman

Thanks for your comments. To address some of your points:

1. There was a notice on the panel for a week during version 1.0.5.

2. We have not hindered any mining functionality, we have only temporarily disabled the read-only panel, run on a webserver that is unrelated to the ethOS OS itself. The functionality provided by the panel is reserved for paying customers.

3. Sending mass emails is not ideal. We have over 2000 ethOS customers. Even if most accept the email, if some start marking it as spam, our domain will be blacklisted by mail service providers.

Regarding PIMP: You may not know, but I was product manager for PIMP. The PIMP team eventually burned out because people would come into the PIMP support channel, request support for a bunch of random crap, but when it came time to pay, they didn't. The PIMP team did a lot of work, for which they never got paid. Eventually, I left the team. PIMP's lead developer eventually left to work for ethOS as well.

To avoid this problem, ethOS has a clearly defined limitation of scope. My goal is to collect enough revenue to ensure the continued development of the platform and to satisfy our mission statement: To create the best Ethereum mining platform for large-scale deployment.
  • patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    @kotarius , please keep development of ethOS, the best choice for ETH mining. ethOS is a huge time saver for me!
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Hello friends, hope you enjoyed the ugly rig contest recently, where we gave away two mining frames (each at $200 value).

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/10255/ugly-rig-contest-gpushack-bundle-for-6-gpus-use-promo-code-64ssd-to-get-a-64gb-ssd-upgrade

Please see http://ethosdistro.com/source/ for source verification for our download files. If you download ethOS from somewhere other than ethosdistro.com, please check the source verification. If it doesn't match, whoever is distributing it has done something very nasty to it, possibly wallet stealing, self-mining, etc.

• DonJuanmaDonJuanma Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I need some help: what I have to do to start a second rig with ethos? I´m not so sure about steps.
    Thanks for your help.
  • wishxywishxy Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I bought, download, installed and update ethOS on my new 8 GPU rig at my friend's house and it worked perfect for a 3 days for test.
    After I brought it to my house, everything works the same but it can not connect to pool. I tried everything what I know but problem remains the same, rig works but don't have any hash.
    Does anybody faced this problem?
  • theclamtheclam Member Posts: 91
    wishxy said:

I bought, download, installed and update ethOS on my new 8 GPU rig at my friend's house and it worked perfect for a 3 days for test.
    After I brought it to my house, everything works the same but it can not connect to pool. I tried everything what I know but problem remains the same, rig works but don't have any hash.
    Does anybody faced this problem?

you have a networking problem. When in the ethos window type ping 8.8.8.8 and see if that returns anything. If it does not, your rig does not have a connection to the internet. If you boot up and the panel page is the default page, with no ip address listed, you have a dhcp issue. Let us know what you learn or go here for official ethos support - https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ethosdistro
  • mikeomikeo Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    For those still running ethOS 1.2.3 or earlier I recommend the following as it increase my hash rate by 7-8%. Follow The ethOS Knowledgebase instructions to:
    1. Update ethOS to version 1.2.4, then
    2. Download and add Claymore.