EthOS - Chargeback your purchase

kolbaskolbas Member Posts: 6
edited July 2016 in Mining
I bought a few copies of EthOS and it worked fine until today - Now they sent a message on the Stats Page and locked it. If they think you have made a copy and did not pay they shut off access to the stats.

I bought a few copies and also bought a couple of rigs that were made already and they had it on the system. Now I cannot use any of them and you want me to send you receipts and ask for permission.

I will be doing a chargeback on all of my copies of EthOS and would recommend others to do the same.
Post edited by Heliox on

Comments

• kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    ethOS stats panel is running on a private server and is reserved for paying customers, we cannot allocate support/resources to people that did not pay. I am sorry you feel that way.

PS. You can just follow the instructions on the page. If you did pay, just send a quick email, and your panel will be restored.
  • kolbaskolbas Member Posts: 6
    Nice statement - But it is B.S. - I paid and will be damned if I am going to support you assholes anymore. I am not digging through and looking for a receipt of where I paid, that is not what I signed up for and is certainly not in the Terms of the OS on your website.

I see your motto is - "Shoot First and Ask Questions Later" - you are wrong and are costing people mining income with your shenanigans.
    So you are asking people that purchased the software to prove to you that they bought it.

• icminericminer Member Posts: 12
    But.. if you DID pay, why would you not show that and try to fix this problem? That should be no problem then. We have a few licenses too for a few rigs and never had issues with these guys. In fact they helped a LOT tweaking the rigs, which they are not needed to do at all! But they did.

Ethos is a great system and dedicated developers (and no i'm not one of the developers, i'm a satisfied user)
    So if you did pay, show them, anyone can make mistakes, even machines. And fix this.

• vlcmstnevlcmstne Member Posts: 119
    Seriously not that big of a deal, unless you didn't pay, small inconvenience and as I understand they will even work with you on getting the issue resolved if you lost the order confirm. email....ridiculous.

chill out
    kolbas said:

I see your motto is - "Shoot First and Ask Questions Later" - you are wrong and are costing people mining income with your shenanigans.

ethosdistro.com does not touch your rigs, it is a read-only panel. Your mining income is safe, I assure you.
  • G1983G1983 Member Posts: 3
    Um... $39 for an OS that basically makes mining ether a breeze. EthOS should cost way more for what they provide. Grow up kolbas...
    What is ridiculous is that I need to go out of my way to prove to them I bought it -- I would prefer to just do a Chargeback and be done with these guys. Since they have inconvenienced me I thought I would post about it and hopefully get some others to chargeback as well. :D
  • vlcmstnevlcmstne Member Posts: 119
    Do whatever you want but I think you're in the minority on this one I don't agree with your conclusion that a chargeback is the only way to right this "wrong"...I understand the issue of having to deal with something you didn't expect to it's inconvenient, yes, but really to take it that far? just find the receipt and deal with it like a big boy/girl, and move on, besides its only to have access to the monitoring system your rigs mining is unaffected ssh in and monitor it yourself if you don't want to take the time to get it fixed.

Jebus
  • icminericminer Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2016
    Convincing people you disagree with these guys is a very often used technique on the internet and social media. It is a sign of weakness in my opinion. Trying to get as much people on your side to get the feeling you are right. Your smiley proofs it imho.

As said: proof them the system is wrong and they are glad to check there systems and off you go. Your income is safe as the software does not touch your rig.

• techlifetvtechlifetv Member Posts: 1
    Kolbas,

This is quite a childish post just email the guys they'll have your panel up and running in no time. I had the same reaction as you but I decided email them with my info. It's not that hard ethOs is a well deserved and priced Mining Distro but it is an optional distro you can always go back and use windows or ubuntu if you don't agree. Just email them simple and effective.

Maximus aka mrminer
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    This is terrible. It has been clearly stated in the past that re-distribution is fine, and I never saw anything suggesting that copying the SSD content for your own use was not okay. Now you're saying people need 1 license per rig to use your monitoring solution??? Can you say bait and switch?
    edited July 2016
    We have always recommended that people buy one ethOS license per rig. Devs need to get paid. Without devs, work cannot be done. Sorry, that's just how the world works.

People are free to run ethOS without the monitoring solution. They can even change the code to point to another webhook and use their own monitoring.

@work, I am not surprised that you have not seen anything regarding our license agreement. You are one (of many) that voice their concern on public forums about a product they don't even use.

• dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh God, not another ethOS pissing contest ...
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I'm not going to sit here and argue with all the people lol but this is my two cents.

I have bought multiple licenses/gpus from the ethos guys, there support is nice (usually) and they have answered all my questions I've had. I have a masters in computer science and could have set up everything ethos does myself, BUT time is money so I'd rather have it done for me. I have no problem paying for a license per rig, BUT I do think this is a bit extreme. Now I get they have torrents out probably now so they needed to implement this to weed out those guys but they should have done it like they alert updates, be like hey email us your number in the next two weeks or your monitoring will be shut down.. NOT just wake up one day and everythings locked until you have time to dig through your emails and find the numbers, and wait for there customer support to respond. Needless to say while I will continue using your services I've already purchased I most likely won't be purchasing any more licenses/gpu's from you guys :) no hard feelings, but just think there should be a bit more of a warning before major things like this occur. Thanks :).

On the note of doing a chargeback thats completely over reacting and rude IMO.

EDIT: I'd like to add that if you wanted to truly enforce this rule I'd recommend changing this:

ethOS is released under the "Small Goat with Red Eyes" license. You should buy one ethOS from gpuShack.com per each rig on which you intend to run ethOS. If you don't, a small goat with red eyes will visit you while you sleep.
    kotarius said:

We have always recommended that people buy one ethOS license per rig. Devs need to get paid. Without devs, work cannot be done. Sorry, that's just how the world works.

Recommended... eh?
    kotarius said:

People are free to run ethOS without the monitoring solution. They can even change the code to point to another webhook and use their own monitoring.

@work, I am not surprised that you have not seen anything regarding our license agreement. You are one (of many) that voice their concern on public forums about a product they don't even use.

I can build it myself, with nice graphs and information relevant to me, and not have it connecting to your servers, so of course I don't use it.

I'm voicing a concern, yes. Maybe if you didn't make a joke about "Small Goat with Red Eyes" license, this wouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone and I wouldn't have a concern to voice?
  • muzhikmuzhik Member Posts: 6
    i ordered 16gb ssd w/os on it, and to my surprise 30gb ssd came in. can't complain to that.
    work said:

kotarius said:

Recommended... eh?
    kotarius said:

I can build it myself, with nice graphs and information relevant to me, and not have it connecting to your servers, so of course I don't use it.

I'm voicing a concern, yes. Maybe if you didn't make a joke about "Small Goat with Red Eyes" license, this wouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone and I wouldn't have a concern to voice?
    I agree that this "ethOS is released under the "Small Goat with Red Eyes" license. You should buy one ethOS from gpuShack.com per each rig on which you intend to run ethOS. If you don't, a small goat with red eyes will visit you while you sleep." needs to be changed if this rule is going to be actually enforced, this CLEARLY makes it sound like a if you could please type thing, not an actual rule.
    It doesn't matter what is said, Kotarius is going to do as he pleases. With that kind of power in the OS what is preventing him from getting angry again and closing it for everybody and demanding an extra $5 per rig and not allowing access until he gets it.

The way this was done is horrible and a direct indicator of his inability to act professionally. Well I did not buy copies to then be turned into a prisoner. Essentially he is saying: Prove you own the copies or you cannot use it. Kotarius, I have news for you, since we both live in the USA I am not guilty until proven innocent. Well I am not going to take it laying down. I am sure I will have a problem with the chargeback due to it being a digital download etc but if enough people are unhappy like I am I may call my attorney to shoot him a letter for the group.

kotarius said:

I'm not going to lie, I laughed very hard at this.
    I think it shows what a fuck Kotarius really is
    Definitely points awarded for sense of humor =).
    kolbas said:

It doesn't matter what is said, Kotarius is going to do as he pleases. With that kind of power in the OS what is preventing him from getting angry again and closing it for everybody and demanding an extra $5 per rig and not allowing access until he gets it.

The way this was done is horrible and a direct indicator of his inability to act professionally. Well I did not buy copies to then be turned into a prisoner. Essentially he is saying: Prove you own the copies or you cannot use it. Kotarius, I have news for you, since we both live in the USA I am not guilty until proven innocent. Well I am not going to take it laying down. I am sure I will have a problem with the chargeback due to it being a digital download etc but if enough people are unhappy like I am I may call my attorney to shoot him a letter for the group.

I have a fiduciary duty to my developers. The funds collected via ethOS purchases are used to continue development. I am not angry, but it is my firm belief that people should adhere to the license agreement, or feel free to use some other OS for their mining purposes.

I am truly sorry you feel this way, but gpuShack is not the federal government, it is a private entity and does not have a Bill of Rights. There is no judgement regarding your moral character here. There is no "guilt" or "innocence". If it is easier for you to call your attorney and have him draft a demand letter instead of sending us a short email, that is your choice.
  • kilo17kilo17 Member Posts: 31
    I have chatted with Kot and given help to people on the IRC channel. I have referred people as well as other things to support the project. I am not innocent and owe for a bunch of copies of EthOS and I have paid for about 15 copies. I have made it clear in conversations that I would pay and had ZERO intentions of "stealing your work".

I would have preferred a simple email or post on the Stats Page as opposed to this, I would have gladly made a payment for copies I have made.

As it stands, I will be switching my rigs to another miner and not supporting EthOS. I am going to sell off the copies I paid for and move on.

I do not see a need to bash EthOS or Kot, but I do feel I can have an opinion and let people know my position so when they are looking to start mining they know what they are getting.
    kilo17 said:

I have chatted with Kot and given help to people on the IRC channel. I have referred people as well as other things to support the project. I am not innocent and owe for a bunch of copies of EthOS and I have paid for about 15 copies. I have made it clear in conversations that I would pay and had ZERO intentions of "stealing your work".

I would have preferred a simple email or post on the Stats Page as opposed to this, I would have gladly made a payment for copies I have made.

As it stands, I will be switching my rigs to another miner and not supporting EthOS. I am going to sell off the copies I paid for and move on.

I do not see a need to bash EthOS or Kot, but I do feel I can have an opinion and let people know my position so when they are looking to start mining they know what they are getting.

^^ similar boat as me :).
    kilo17 said:

I have paid for about 15 copies.

Epic way to treat a paying customer, eh?

• dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    ^^ The old adage: isn't not what you said, it's how you said it - it's not what you did, it's how you did it. A bull in a china shop.
  • kilo17kilo17 Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2016
    I am a pretty easy going guy but now I am convinced that I am being held hostage by Kot. I emailed him and his response was that I would need to pay for the additional copies to have the Panel activated again, even if I remove the copied versions I would not have access to the copies I paid for already.

edited to remove unnecessary comments
    Post edited by kilo17 on
    edited July 2016
    All ethOS stats panels had a notice during the previous version of ethOS (1.0.5). This notice was up for a week. All customers were gently encouranced/instructed to make sure they were complaint with the license agreement. At this point, enforcement of the license agreement should not be a surprise to anyone.

I am not sure why @kilo17 has decided to make a public spectacle of his particular situation, and in the interest of preserving customer privacy, I will not comment on it directly.