Should I trade 8gb 390x for (2) 4gb 290x (reference)?

shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Mining
I've read on here that the reference 290x is among the best cards for mining. However, this was prior to the RX480 which gets a better hashrate/power ratio. However, I get fairly cheap power (.07x/kWh).

Is it wise to do this trade? The cards are sapphire tri-x, which appear to use reference boards but with better cooling.

The only reason I wouldn't is because mining seems to be winding down and if the continues its downward trend it price, it won't be profitable to mine for much longer, and then all the other profitable to mine coins will become unprofitable soon after. Also, keeping the 390x for gaming after mining is over is more future proof. Also the 390x has a lifetime warranty from XFX.

I've read that 290x can be flashed with the 390x bios, does anyone have experience with this?

I have one 290x currently. It is a reference board with the shitty AMD cooler on it and it runs pretty hot and LOUD. But hashes at 30-31.

Comments

• megax05megax05 Member Posts: 28
    for mining go for it the sapphire tri X cooler can be bought in ebay for as low as 20$ so you get twice the hashrate cause they actually hash the same amount each.
    the r9 390x is just a refreshed r9 290x with twice memory amount and a bit faster mem but they both peak at 31 MHs.
  • stoonstoon Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    I have 12 of the reference 290's with moded roms. They are great cards for mining. They hash well, they were pretty cheap, the heat is directed in one direction (better to control the environment, with the rom mod they consume less power.
    If you only have 2 cards I would just mine with what you have. When mining is no longer profitable for you, the 390x is a great gaming card. Probably better then 2x290x's in sli
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    @stoon, i have 6 cards now. My mining rig has 1 290x, 2 290s, 1 280x, and 1 280 with room for 1 more card.

My main rig has just the 390x, with theoretical room for 4 more cards. I mine with both.

I'm so torn for the decision. With eth scaling inversely with the difficulty rise, the added 30 mh/s I'll get from the trade probably won't earn much in the rest of the year -- looks like about 150$ over the next 6 months. HRMPH
  • wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    stoon said:

I have 12 of the reference 290's with moded roms. They are great cards for mining. They hash well, they were pretty cheap, the heat is directed in one direction (better to control the environment, with the rom mod they consume less power.
    If you only have 2 cards I would just mine with what you have. When mining is no longer profitable for you, the 390x is a great gaming card. Probably better then 2x290x's in sli

how did you mod the roms? voltage adjustments? or what... I have 5 R9 290s (fully reference, down to the amd sticker on the amd blower cooler) and ive undervolted the gpus -100 mV in MSI afterburner (voltages around 1.031-1.039) with clocks at 960 Mhz and memory at 1000Mhz... gettin 26.8-27 Mh/s per card. no where near 31...