Ether-SIP

baltaruizbaltaruiz Portland, OregonMember Posts: 1
I just started working on this project of SIP on Ethereum. The purpose is to enable a decentralized SIP network where Audio, Video or Messages could be exchanged without the need to obtain an account with any provider.

Any help is welcome.

Comments

• giannidalertagiannidalerta Miami, FLMember Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    Im not a tech, but am the director of business development for a hosted PBX provider. I am very interested in projects that deal with telephony / communications on the blockchain. I however only see the ability of running the handshake between parties, not sure how the other parts would benefit.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Let us know how you get on @baltaruiz!
  • chris613chris613 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    @giannidalerta‌ - I am a techie and work as an infrastructure engineer at a cloud voip provider. How do you see the blockchain adding value beyond our current models in our industry? Most of the problems with using SIP for communications are technical problems with networking and codecs which I don't see a blockchain helping with at all.

The one thing that it does definitely help with is simply the decentralized name registry - you could register a name that points to the correct SIP URI, and then keep it up to date whenever the details change. No provider needed. Of course this is a very bare-bones sort of telephony service with no features provided outside of what each registered user can provide on their own.

I'm envisioning a modification to an existing open source SIP phone that uses a blockchain library like libethereum to allow you to register and look up names - @baltaruiz‌ is this the starting point for your project, essentially? I'm having trouble understanding how other "provider" like services could be performed or improved by ethereum contracts.
  • giannidalertagiannidalerta Miami, FLMember Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    @chris613‌ I agree, would need to see more clarity on what can be done, that is goes further than just the name registry.

would be interesting to explore this...

As the computing will go to a p2p infrastructure based on what can be accomplished with ethereum. Maybe breaking down the mechanism of SIP and identifying how they could be created decentralized.