AMD driver crashing after adding 3rd R9 390

johnjinnjohnjinn Member Posts: 7
edited June 2016 in Mining
Since I've added 3rd GPU, ethminer and AMD driver started crashing.

I have 3x R9 390 (2x Asus, 1x MSI, all 8GB).
2x Asus config works fine, but since I've added the MSI card, I can't even run a ethminer benchmark. AMD driver crashes with the following message: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

All 3 cards are recognized (ethminer --list-devices), no overclocking, temps are in mid-40C (not too hot).
Running Win81 64bit, 4GB RAM, 1200W PSU, AMD Radeon Software v 15.12.
One card connected to PCIx16, 2 to PCI-Ex1 via powered USB risers.

Any ideas what I could try??
Thanks everyone!

Update:
I have removed all cards except for one and kept adding one card at a time. For some reason that fixed the issue. I have no idea why that happened, but for now it seems to be working.
Post edited by johnjinn on

Best Answers

• Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016 Accepted Answer
    johnjinn said:

Update:
    I have removed all cards except for one and kept adding one card at a time. For some reason that fixed the issue. I have no idea why that happened, but for now it seems to be working.

@johnjinn somebody gave me that tip of adding one card at a time and that's worked perfect for me. Start with one card, confirm recognition, power down, add second card - reboot, wait for "flicker", confirm recognition, repeat. Glad it worked out for you.

• Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Adding credit to @big_MIKE:
    big_MIKE said:

Some people plug all cards in and then install Windows, and all cards are seen by computer. Unfortunately that never works for me, bad luck I guess lol. I install one card on main 16x slot and then install Windows 8.1 and then AMD 15.12 drivers. If you look in device manager you will see one r7 300 card under display. I then turn off computer, and install next card in slot closest to cpu. There will only be one slot on that side of 16x slot. Turn on computer, Windows should find card in 1-2 min. Screen will flicker, check device manager and there should now be two r7 300 cards shown. Turn off computer and follow same steps for rest of the cards. Starting with the slot furthest from cpu, and working your way towards cpu one card at a time.

Answers

• johnjinnjohnjinn Member Posts: 7
    Techman34 said:

johnjinn said:

Update:

@johnjinn somebody gave me that tip of adding one card at a time and that's worked perfect for me. Start with one card, confirm recognition, power down, add second card - reboot, wait for "flicker", confirm recognition, repeat. Glad it worked out for you.

Hi Techman,

That was exactly it! Thanks a lot!