Ubuntu vs. windows

DiveDeeperDiveDeeper Member Posts: 6
Any performance difference, or really just a personal choice?

Comments

• cornlingercornlinger Member Posts: 107
    My advice: Use Lubuntu! No licence required, no virus protection required, easy to install, much less space and in my opinion quite simpler to use. Another point is, that you can copy your whole disc for other miners or as a backup. Even when I had to reconfigure a whole miner it took me with installation and everything from scratch about 15 minutes. Try this with Windows...

If you want to use Ubuntu, be sure to use Lubuntu, not Ubuntu, Unity needs more graphic resources and can't be managed with VNC or TeamViewer.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    My personal opinion is Windows.

More support overall..
    Everything that is runnable on linux is runnable on windows, gpu support overall is better on windows, undervolting, overvolting etc, pain in my ass on linux..

I've got over 20 rigs, i installed Windows on 1 ssd, made an image from that, and installed it on all the other drives.
    Making that image took 20 minutes. Copying it on another drive 10.

Licence, true, been running Windows 10 for months now, still have that message in the bottom right corner "Activate Windows".. everything keeps working perfectly, so why would i :)

In case of protection, if you leave your firewall on, make sure your network is fully secure. You'll be fine :)
    I personally wouldn't leave a wallet on a windows based system either, but for mining, i'm quite happy with windows :)

Oh, and i use to mine with Debian (years..)

Greetings :)
  • itssme2itssme2 AustriaMember Posts: 17
    If you want to use a Linux Distribution and you have no experience with Linux systems i recommamd using linux mint. Very easy Installation and it has got a very good driver manager. I even use it for gaming.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    I <3 Windows 10 LTSB N edition. Completely disable windows defender and telemetry with GPO, and it's the best OS going IMO.
  • carlitogetaladacarlitogetalada Member Posts: 15
    Heliox said:

My personal opinion is Windows.

More support overall..
    Everything that is runnable on linux is runnable on windows, gpu support overall is better on windows, undervolting, overvolting etc, pain in my ass on linux..

I've got over 20 rigs, i installed Windows on 1 ssd, made an image from that, and installed it on all the other drives.
    Making that image took 20 minutes. Copying it on another drive 10.

Licence, true, been running Windows 10 for months now, still have that message in the bottom right corner "Activate Windows".. everything keeps working perfectly, so why would i :)

In case of protection, if you leave your firewall on, make sure your network is fully secure. You'll be fine :)
    I personally wouldn't leave a wallet on a windows based system either, but for mining, i'm quite happy with windows :)

Oh, and i use to mine with Debian (years..)

Greetings :)

Hi, 20 rigs are awesomely insane! Are you running it from a factory or commercial establishment? Just wondering how you able to manage the power outlets provisions.

I have 2 rigs, and wanted to add 2 more. I'm worried about the wattage & lack of power outlets around the house. I understand that our power outlet only has 13A max / 3k+ watts.

Any special tricks and additional info would be very much appreciated. Thanks for sharing.
    I am now using Ubuntu, and am terribly missing the MSI burner functionality that windows can use.

Planning to switch back to windows for my 3rd rig, & gradually for my other 2 running rigs.

As for performance wise, windows has unexpectedly run higher hashrates for my gpus without modding anything.
  • dolleminerdolleminer Member Posts: 50
    @DiveDeeper I have used Windows 7/8/10 and Linux Ubuntu and mind. I just bought EthOs and lets see how that works. But atm I say windows 10. Ubuntu works aswel but the undervolting is a problem EthOS is working on it so I want to see if its working.
  • 295x2295x2 Member Posts: 36
    I'm using windows. If you have a licence there is no easier way as long as you are not using more than 6 GPUs. You will get much better support if you have problems and you don't need to know any linux/debian/ubuntu commands.
    In my eyes there is no reason why I should use Linux.
  • mista66mista66 Member Posts: 117
    problem i have with windows (10) is the automatic updates, i'm sure that is what slows it down.. i've disabled the auto installs but it still downloads the updates...

for my mining rigs i'm using ubuntu quick and easy to install and very stable unlike windows which seems to require occassional reboots.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    @carlitogetalada

Power isn't an issue, i have enough with 1 x 380, so 3 x 220 circuits.

Everything is heavily undervolted and underclocked so all together i'm using around 10kilowatt

@mista66

You can completely turn those off,

Windows key + R
    Services.msc
    Right click on windows update and turn it completely off
    @Heliox

That's great! :)

Is there a sort of reference list of target undervolt & underclock values for different cards? Or is it done only thru trial & error?

How-to links would also be useful. I want to explore & implement these things. Another step/level for me. Thanks
  • mista66mista66 Member Posts: 117
    edited June 2016
    Heliox said:

@mista66

You can completely turn those off,

Windows key + R
    Services.msc
    Right click on windows update and turn it completely off

perfect except still seems to require rebooting, i'll probably stick with ubuntu haven't got time to spend troubleshooting windows was planning on running it as a node with two rigs pointing at it but as it keeps slowing down and requiring reboots... just a thought might it be better the other way around windows farms (with all the GUI tools etc) pointing at a ubuntu node? i'll just stick with ubuntu for now tho.