I'd like to operate ethereum online wallet service

yuma300yuma300 Member Posts: 6
bitcoind and litecoind can handle multiple account by generating new account with getnewaddress and setaccount. But it seems eth does not have such functions. Does anybody know about multiple account or address in eth?

Comments

• JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Dont see them in either the Go or Cpp-ethereum wiki. Ethpipe doesnt mention how you get a KeyPair. And strangely in the example it is declared as a pointer to a KeyPair, but never referenced before doing a transaction. If you could create one, you could manage multiple. (Possibly better if the ethereum client knows them instead? Dunno)

Ah, looking at epm code, you can specify the private key there too.. Still not very nice, as then you have to generate and manage it yourself too.(thats cpp-ethereum) Either way, maybe worth a github issue if there isnt one yet.

Btw, to be frank, I don't think it is wise to use web wallets. However, external servers could do multichannel authentication for added security. Would cost some gas though. Or relatively more gas using more elaborate different layers of security levels, note: untested, and feel it is probably inefficient..
  • yuma300yuma300 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Jasper.
    I understand current circumstance. Thank you so much.

> Btw, to be frank, I don't think it is wise to use web wallets.
    I guess so. However most of people are lazy. As they don't want to prepare ethereum client by themselves, I would like to provide wallet for them.
  • 2xPress2xPress Member Posts: 16
    Did you ever find out how to getnewaddress?? I am a merchant and frankly I'm confused.. in bitcoin to take money my wallet creates an address and I just check it .. It's simple? How is this done using ethereum RPC calls? I installed a node already and got simple RPC commands running but I don't understand how to get new receiving address?
    No mate but thanks for asking . I wanted to do it via php not the javascript side.. thought it was more secure that way but to be honest i quit working on it I'm deleting my ether nodes and going home LOL.. very few people wanting to help and the docs are scattered its just too hard really .. funny thing is though bitcoin , blackcoin were so easy to just put some php together and do it but ethereum just confused the shit out of me. If there were active communities ready to help it be cool but I just gave up. Just seems very elitist and everybody expects you to already know every nuance out of the gate. So no problem I will stick to bitcoin.. But thanks mate your the ONLY guy that every answered a single question regarding ethereum afte rmultiple posts in this forum and reddit LOL.
    G416G said:

2xPress said:

Did you ever find out how to getnewaddress?? I am a merchant and frankly I'm confused.. in bitcoin to take money my wallet creates an address and I just check it .. It's simple? How is this done using ethereum RPC calls? I installed a node already and got simple RPC commands running but I don't understand how to get new receiving address?

What are you trying to do ? Have you looked at web3.js to create a new address.. web3.personal.newAccount
    I read web3.personal.newAccount should not be done with rpc as its not secure? I don't know
    there are simply TOO MANY WAYS to accomplish the same thing and this is a source of confusion.
    I do program js applications in nodejs already so it could work bu tI just simply can't find out how to do it.
    even using geth console it took me 2 hours to figure out how to unlock my account to send ether to another address.
    found that on stackoverflow not one of the community sites. I'm frustrated to no end.

Then I read to send you need to unlock account each time or something I dunno ..sigh
    edited June 2016
    All I wanted to do is let people send ether to buy credits on our club site and to withdraw (i.e. send transaction back) thats it..
    smart contracts and all that stuff would be great for the future but I just wanted to accomplish this simple thing first.
    I don't want to run cors and all that stuff when it is nice and secure to have php do the lifting like I do with bitcoin but even following the personal api there is no mention of how to unlock or send password to send transaction or do i have to relock afterwords or what.. I guess Im just too old for this object oriented new world order LOL. I did figure out how to create an account by running geth with personal api however eveyone said that was a no no. but its the webjs that makes it secure and I did it via php rpc so not sure if it's still a no no or not as i didnt open geth with webjs param .. again Im all over the place.
    edited June 2016
    Here is an example of massive confusion

$params: [{
    "from": "0xb60blblabla",
    "to": "0xd46e8dd6blablabla",
    "gas": "0x76c0", // 30400,
    "gasPrice": "0x9184e72a000", // 10000000000000
    "value": "0x9184e72a", // 2441406250
    "data": "0xd46e8dd67c5d32be8d46e8dd67c5d32be8058bb8eb970870f072445675058bb8eb970870f072445675"
    }];
    echo $ethereum-> eth_sendTransaction($params);

Ok great
    1. how do i use the coinbase rather than individual address to send from ethereum wallet?
    2. How do i compute how much gas i need
    3. how do i convert decimal ether into hex
    4. do i need to unlock before sending
    5. what is the data value? it gives a definition but not explanation.

I mean like if you go to api docs none of those questions are answered. I guess IM JUST STUPID
    i hate feeling stupid.
    Because I want my CLUB website to take the payment automatically and notify our database when payment arrives and from whom. and
    Because I want to allow members to take get Ether back for our club credits.. i.e. AUTOMATICALLY send the ether and reduce their credits on our database.

Don't want to do it manually with couple hundred website members LOL.

Right now I use coinpayments.net but they charge a fee and I want more control as right now their ether is under maintenance so I can't even take ether payments.

LIke I said my position is that of a merhcant who wants to take and give payments for our services and credits.