Maybe time to stop investing in Mining machines

Comments

• greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Youth hay. I was working part time (2 hours/day) at 10 years old back in the 1970s... no laws back then to stop me. Full time at 16years. 60hour weeks at 18years old....back before the working time directive.
    Work is a con... do as little as you can. I will die before 75 with a bit of luck! that or work will. :/

@o0ragman0o S7 batch 10 takes 417day to ROI, S9 takes 134days to ROI.
    i try to buy broken ones for a fraction of new price and fix them up,..then underclock to get efficency up. :)

@Marvell9 "cArs are diffrent frm houses they can always repo and re sell "

not sure that is true here. UK is overcrowded. not enough housing for the population here, roads are so congested, too many people.... public transport is easier. And its not the cars that are the issue, its haulage!
    It will be a financial mess anyhow. :) I don't like transport at the best of times! maybe we can just crush the repos.

So how big will the DAG be in 6 months? Will it be profitable in 6 months?
    I will stop mining eth when i cant double my money any more. (eg. eth mining returns trice what i pay out in electric) we are nearly at that now. the price needs to be $20 by the end of the month or im out.
    I don't think they have taught this PoS through.

Post edited by greenuser on
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    greenuser said:

Youth hay. I was working part time (2 hours/day) at 10 years old back in the 1970s... no laws back then to stop me. Full time at 16years. 60hour weeks at 18years old....back before the working time directive.
    Work is a con... do as little as you can. I will die before 75 with a bit of luck! that or work will. :/

@o0ragman0o S7 batch 10 takes 417day to ROI, S9 takes 134days to ROI.
    i try to buy broken ones for a fraction of new price and fix them up,..then underclock to get efficency up. :)

@Marvell9 "cArs are diffrent frm houses they can always repo and re sell "

not sure that is true here. UK is overcrowded. not enough housing for the population here, roads are so congested, too many people.... public transport is easier. And its not the cars that are the issue, its haulage!
    It will be a financial mess anyhow. :) I don't like transport at the best of times! maybe we can just crush the repos.

So how big will the DAG be in 6 months? Will it be profitable in 6 months?
    I will stop mining eth when i cant double my money any more. (eg. eth mining returns trice what i pay out in electric) we are nearly at that now. the price needs to be $20 by the end of the month or im out.
    I don't think they have taught this PoS through.

How much do you pay for kwh? It seems like you should be good for another 2 months?
    ok so that media outlet claim...... Serenity (‘Ethereum 1.5’): release of the proof of stake (Casper) version of the Blockchain, also including Ethereum Improvement Proposals (EIPs) 101 and 105. Expected early 2017.

So the DAG will be 2GB by November. 2GB cards will be useless after then.
    I don't know what proportion of the network is supported by 2GB cards? 50%?
    So from November of this year until early 2017 the network will have a large drop in hashrate? Also.... how early in 2017? Jan, April? How can you plan or calculate if 3GB cards will be worth investing in? If Jan 2017 the cards with more than 2GB will only have 2 months of hashing!

Does anyone have any other press releases? Has the Dev team published anything yet?
    edited June 2016
    @adaseb £0.13 per Kw/h. Rig costs £46 per month to run. It brings in £114 pm at currently diff and hashrate.... but falling all the time. Yer about 2 months left? I'm not investing time in this for £10 profit per week.
    I'm out when it only yealds about £70 per month. So we need a price shift upwards very soon.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @greenuser With DEVCON in September, I would expect to see Metropolis in mid October or so. There will be a change to the way uncles are included in the diff calculation that will effectively make the calc more accurate, but also reduce the block time by 5%. There's also the possibility that the block time target will be reduced, again, as is was in Homestead. The original Ethereum design target for block time was 12 seconds. So, to one degree or the other, the block time will come down, and the DAG grow rate go up. Given the Holiday season following not long after Metro, I'd guess Serenity would come possibly the same time of year as Homestead did this year - Pi day in March. All speculation, of course.
    @dlehenky cool, good speculation. Whats your view on the what happens when 2GB GPU cards drop out?
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    @greenuser, I remember telling you your overheads for using that server is too high. Was it not close to 200W just to run that beast? You probably can cut your electricity usage by at least a quarter if you use a more efficient cpu/mobo combination.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @greenuser, When people hadn't learnt to configure the global memory of their 2GB GPU's, they started dropping off the network every 5 days when the DAG was approaching 1.4Gb. That drop in hashrate amounted to about 20% of global hash. That was when Diff was around 20T and so before the farms came online. I would imagine all those 2Gb cards are still out there but now maybe only 5~10% of hashrate.
    @greenuser I agree with @o0ragman0o that the percentage of network hash represented by 2 GB GPUs, by the time we get to that DAG size, is likely to be small. However, I don't know that the 3-4 GB GPUs won't start to show signs of degrading performance as we get to 2 GB. It's not just about the absolute memory capacity of the card; it's also about the memory page size being used by the GPU/driver.
    edited June 2016
    @dlehenky Apocalyptic TLB shakeout!
    Post edited by o0ragman0o on
    ethfan said:

@greenuser, I remember telling you your overheads for using that server is too high. Was it not close to 200W just to run that beast? You probably can cut your electricity usage by at least a quarter if you use a more efficient cpu/mobo combination.

@ethfan Yes i remember... BUT Hay, i bult a rig for £300, made ROI in 2 months and will make money for 2 -3 more months.
    I got 4 xGPUs for £200. And had £100 left for everything else. If i had gone for a mobo/cpu/hhd/risers/and PSU big enough and with top efficiency on these items, i would have ran out of cash and still be saving my pennies towards what would have been just a dream. :)

As it happens, i can put it all out for the bin men tomorrow and still be up on the deal. Moreover, i used to run a tumble dryer (2700watts) three times per week. I never run it any more. I put the cloths horse around the mining rig and they dry perfect.

So all is good. :) I just expected the price to perform a bit better than it has. :/
    The key is, knowing when to get out I guess. I feel its not too far away. I don't want to be stuck trying to sell some eth in a falling market and exchanges crashing out cos every man and his dog are trying to access them to dump eth. I will keep a couple though, it could just all go vertical. I'm just not feeling it ATM. Plus, i haven't had this kind of money to lose for a while.

@o0ragman0o thanks for the clarity on the 2GB GPU hashrate distribution.
    anyhow, i may get a broke 3GB card or two on ebay for £20. We will see what luck brings and what the numbers are like in a month or two.
    greenuser said:

anyhow, i may get a broke 3GB card or two on ebay for £20. We will see what luck brings and what the numbers are like in a month or two.

@greenuser Going for broke eh? That's the spirit! ;)

@greenuser is right. You need to spend as little money as possible now so you can make the most money. Not worth it buying brand new GPUs or large PSUs.

Almost all my GPUs I bought second hand. Even bought some 7850 GPUs for almost nothing. ROI was 25 days on some of the cards.

I can probably sell most of my equipment for the same price I paid, unless it breaks.
    @o0ragman0o somthing like that.... ;)
    unless anyone has a 3GB+ card or two that don't work anymore that they want to donate. I will pay postage. And maybe get them going :p
    I bought this HD7870 for £18. It had a fault. Turned out to be a cracked fine pitch surface mount 0.1uF capacitor. I just soldered a conventional disc ceramic cap on to get it going. Cheap card. Works perfect

@greenuser Nice. How did you diagnose? was it just visually apparent?
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    @greenuser, it is good that you have recuperated your capital expenditure. The point now is to make "free money" as long as you can. The key is to lower your power usage. Let me spell it out. Your server uses 200W. That is close to £20 a month. If you use a normal mobo/cpu it is more like 40W. That means only £4 a month. Instead of double-digit income you move into the triple digits! And it is easy to get an old socket 775 mobo with 3 or 4 PCIe slots. I just got a few for FREE on the local freecycle group! Power the mobo with any old PSU (which would probably be free as well). Power the GPU's with your server PSU. Practically no outlay on your part except for a diligent search for the items mentioned.
    Whatever motherboard you buy you need to make sure its PCIe 2.0 at least. Some of the old old Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 motherboards are only PCIe 1.0 and won't work with newer cards.

@greenuser Nice. How did you diagnose? was it just visually apparent?

it was visual inspection but, due to the type of fault, i could narrow it down to one area of the pcb. I still had to find it though. You could not see the crack with the naked eye, i needed a jewller's eye piece. if i could have purchased a 0402 0.1uF 6.3V +/-10% X7R Cap i would have fitted the correct part. but min order qty was 100. So i used a bit of super glue to secure a 99pence disc ceramic before soldering. B)

Hear what you are saying ethfan, im a hunting. ;)
  • big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    @o0ragman0o @greenuser I bought two S7's from batch 1. Have earned over 5 BTC each, so they have been quit profitable and continue to bring in BTC everyday.
    @big_MIKE are you underclocking or undervolting or using stock settings at 12volts?
    if they ever stop working, i will give you a fair price! ;)
  • BubbaPumpsBubbaPumps Member Posts: 31
    adaseb said:

Yeah your power is around 0.20/kwh US or so. Very soon it might not be profitable for you.

Maybe get it hosted at work or at some friends house who has electricity included with his rent.

That's stealing you damn degenerate.
    @BubbaPumps There's really no need for name calling. A simple "Some folks might consider that stealing" would have sufficed.
  • big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    @greenuser I played around with one of my S3's a long time ago and OC it a little. Besides that all my antminers have been running stock settings. I turned off some S3's to plug in my latest ethereum rig.

adaseb said:

Yeah your power is around 0.20/kwh US or so. Very soon it might not be profitable for you.

Maybe get it hosted at work or at some friends house who has electricity included with his rent.

That's stealing you damn degenerate.
    Its not stealing when your boss approves it. Most IT companies get discounts on electricity, so calm down.

edited June 2016
    adaseb said:

Its not stealing when your boss approves it. Most IT companies get discounts on electricity, so calm down.

Yer but that discount is not for mining new currency....and if you are making a profit.... your bosses IT company has to declare that expenditure and profit to the tax man and.... pay tax on it or your boss is stealing from the state! Tax Evasion in the UK is an in prisonable offence.
    And in the UK they don't go after the big guys cos they just get good law men to defend them.... They go after the small guy.

@abaseb What is your boss telling the tax man the 0.20Kw/h is being used for? lighting? business pay less for electric because they contribute to the economy!
    edited June 2016
    big_MIKE said:

@greenuser I played around with one of my S3's a long time ago and OC it a little. Besides that all my antminers have been running stock settings. I turned off some S3's to plug in my latest ethereum rig.

@big_MIKE underclocking S3 may drop your hashpower by 20% but could give you the same efficency as an S7
    https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMining/comments/2uo0qu/s3_underclocking/
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=771979.0
  • Frank_ZappaFrank_Zappa Member Posts: 30
    It's not clear what the PoS will do. What I do, buy the 480s and start mining. (here $0,12kwh) Keep going strong till it's not profitable anymore. Hopefully that will be when the PoS comes in sell those cards and buy new ones. I don't see any reason to stop mining. After the Gpu's people bought ASIC for BTC. This will (thank god) not be the case with ether but we will be able to mine eth!
    edited June 2016