AMD Radeon R9 290 Reference. How much Power from wall?

adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
Picked up a few of these really cheap. Wondering how much power these use from the wall approx?

I know they will run hot and make alot of noise but it'll be kept in a noisy room anyways.

Comments

• SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I bought one of these... and went from 1062 watts to 1375 watts at the wall... so 313 watts. No undervolt or overclocking.. Just plugged it in and went. Need to look into undervolting but it has the Epida memory.

Edit: Gets about 27-28 MH/s
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    SIRacer09 said:

I bought one of these... and went from 1062 watts to 1375 watts at the wall... so 313 watts. No undervolt or overclocking.. Just plugged it in and went. Need to look into undervolting but it has the Epida memory.

Edit: Gets about 27-28 MH/s

Yeah I bought the exact same one. Refurbished also, what kind of condition was yours in ?
    Looked brand new. One issue I had with it is when I installed it, it got really hot quick and I noticed that in MSI Afterburner that the fan was set to "auto" and that the "target temp" was set at 95 degrees! I set the fan to 70% and it stays about 74-77 degrees now. They do seem to run hot as you said and do have a bit of a fan noise at 70%. Other than that, no issues so far.
    Yeah I think thats how all the reference fans are setup. My other 6990/7950 reference all like to run at 90C.
    @adaseb did you get your reference cards installed? I'm curious what they are running at and if you've undervolted them. I've done a little research, but haven't ever undervolted any cards yet.
    @bitcanuck thanks! I'll look into the process to use the Stilt 1.125 BIOS. What hashrate and temps are you getting with the 1.125?
  • mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    For the record, I use Stilt's V2C (1.2750V for 290X) and V2F (1.2625V for 290) "high voltage" ROMs to achieve stable clocks at 1075/1375 MHz and 1100/1400 MHz respectively. The ASIC Quality of all my cards are below 74%.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Will be doing the same this weekend, got 8 290 reference cards (had more but sold a few this weekend). I'll be doing that with the 390 custom bios as well :)

Thx for the tests bitcanuck

Greetings!
  • xclenexclene Member Posts: 4
    according to pcie specification R9 290 card can draw ca 300 W, ie from pcie connector 75W, 8-pin connector 150W and 6 pin one 75W, if a card has two 8 pin power connectors (as is not a case) this can be in total 375W
    edited June 2016
    In theory, an 8 pin PCIe connector can supply 288watt.
    How? 12volt x 8 amps x 3 = 288watt.

Same goes for a 6pin connector. It's rated at 75W but can go over that with ease.
    Same way.. 12volt x 8 amps x 2 = 192watt.

The 6pin connector has 2 pins that are 12V, both carry 8Amps, there are 2 return lines (2 pins) using those 2 lines you get 12 x 8 x 2 = 192

Same goes for the 8 pin connector, only difference is that it has 3 return lines, 12 x 8 x 3 = 288

BUT! It still isn't correct, as the manufacturers changed that.
    Today, an 8 pin PCIe connector can basically supply 396Watt.
    How? Same calculation, only difference, they can now carry a maximum of 11amps.

So 12 x 11 x 3 = 396watt :)

The limitation is rather in the GPU than the pci power cables ;)

On the other hand, i could be wrong here (but i don't think so).. so please correct me if i am :)

Greetings!
  • xclenexclene Member Posts: 4
    ad Heliox
    you are right that from a point of view of power supply a line in 8 or 5 pin connector can deliver more amps that a standard requires, however, graphic card manufacturer should take into account, that PSU might not deliver any additional power and on this ground pcie standards should be complied
    @bitcanuck

Haha, i said "in theory" :smile:

I know that this wouldn't apply when constantly pulling that amount of power. Would take approx 10 minutes and that thing would "explode" :tongue: ..

Even so, we would only need one 8 pin connector for our 290's.. which isn't the fact :wink: ..

But "by numbers", what i wrote down, should be correct though..
    To be applicable, that's another story yes :)

Greetings!
    With everything up and running I am getting 59.2MH/s using 555Watts from wall.

PSU is Corsair 750 so Bronze rated, should get better efficency with a Gold rated PSU.
    bitcanuck said:

adaseb said:

With everything up and running I am getting 59.2MH/s using 555Watts from wall.

PSU is Corsair 750 so Bronze rated, should get better efficency with a Gold rated PSU.

You can probably get that down to ~520W while staying >58Mh if you downclock the memory from 1250 to 1125.
    I downclocked the memory but it only brought it down to 540W
  • CrumbstaCrumbsta Member Posts: 27
    I been playing spaghetti with cheap ebay psu's trying 1 6 or 8 at a time to see if they handle it! lol