AMD Radeon RX 480 What do you think?

Comments

• big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    Sounds like @zedzednova might be the best uncle ever with that gift, lol.
  • Frank_ZappaFrank_Zappa Member Posts: 30
    bitcanuck said:

If they actually ship by the end of the month as advertised, I'll buy a couple. By my calculations they should hash at around 29Mhs, or about the same as my reference 290s. But they should draw about half the power.

Can you explain your calculations? Curious.. it's new for me. You can do the same for the 480?
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    bitcanuck said:

If they actually ship by the end of the month as advertised, I'll buy a couple. By my calculations they should hash at around 29Mhs, or about the same as my reference 290s. But they should draw about half the power.

I thought that they won't have multi-GPU drivers from the get go, but I could be wrong.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @Biodom that would be super weird if AMD released a card without multi-GPU support. Are you talking about the AMDGPU linux drivers maybe?
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    bitcanuck said:

bitcanuck said:

Can you explain your calculations? Curious.. it's new for me. You can do the same for the 480?
    The 480 is the next generation of the R9 380, which gives 22Mhs with Samsung RAM OC'd to 1500Mhz (6Ghz). Overclocking the core doesn't increase hashrate since the cards are not compute limited - they are limited by memory bandwidth. The 480 has 2Ghz RAM, which should be 2/1.5 = 1/3rd faster than the 380, or 29.3Mhs. If the RAM in the 480 can be overclocked without adding RAS/CAS delays, then hashrates in the low 30's should be achievable.
    Interesting how the 480 will only take 1x 6pin pcie power cord while the 380 needs at least 2x 6pin pcie tho
    edited June 2016
    those 2X6pin for 380 are total overkill; they could have made it with one 8-pin instead.
    In such cases, I usually use good PCIe splitters as to not waste connectors in a six-GPU rig.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I'm also waiting on the next gen AMD GPUs.. I might build another couple 6 GPU rigs if the price and the power usage of the cards is right :) Also we must keep in mind about the drivers that would be required to run them. I'll wait for someone else to give them a proper test first before i splash some money at them.
    @bitcanuck Alright thank you! That makes sense. And what about those RAS/CAS delays, what is this?
    @bitcanuck xD I just never added delays so that's new for me. I can google for sure haha, and it explains it all very well but I'm just wondering how those delays can get a higher performance. I mean you say "If the RAM in the 480 can be overclocked without adding RAS/CAS delays..." Does this mean that it is just easier or it's the only way?
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Also why it has no point of setting your memory to 1275 for example..

I tend to see a lot of people setting their memory to a weird number.

1000, 1125, 1250, 1375, ... those are the ones that matter :)

nice explanation @bitcanuck ! :)
    edited June 2016
    @Heliox

Do you mean memclock or core/engine?
    I thought that 1500 mem clock is good at least for r7 370, r9 390 and R9 380?
    @Biodom

memclock yes.. 1500 is ok :)
    @Bitcanuck anything other then those memclocks without modded bios straps should be causing higher power usage and/or lower performance, from everything I've seen. The best memclocks are the top value in a given strap.
  • big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    Just did some calculations on my S7 purchase. I paid $1,800 each for them at the end of August 2015. The boxes arrived in September. Since I got them, they have been running 24/7. My calculations show that each unit has mined over 5 BTC so far. So at today value of BTC they both have provided me great ROI. They only make like $6 a day each now, but its all profit. The S9 currently can make 1 BTC a month right now, so I dont see why that would not ROI eventually either.
    bitcanuck said:

The video bios has a table of RAM timings (i.e. RAS/CAS delays) at various frequency ranges, that some people refer to as straps. For example in the MSI R9 380 cards, once you OC the RAM over 1500Mhz, the BIOS uses the next highest strap, which has extra RAS/CAS delays. Therefore memory bandwidth at 1525Mhz is actually slower than 1500Mhz.

Thanks! All clear
    bitcanuck said:

work said:

@Bitcanuck anything other then those memclocks without modded bios straps should be causing higher power usage and/or lower performance, from everything I've seen. The best memclocks are the top value in a given strap.

@work With my ref 290s running Stilt BIOS and 1050 core, I can't see any difference in hashrate between 1200 and 1250 memory clock. Going down to 1125 cuts the performance by about 0.5Mh.
    Noticed that too.

The only difference is heat and a "little" power usage..
    @bitcanuck @Heliox interesting. I see no hashrate difference between 1250, 1200, and 1125. But, 1125 uses the least power.
    edited June 2016
    It has began...both newegg and Microcenter dropped the MSI R9 390 8gb gaming price to $289.99 (without any rebate); makes sense if MSRP on RX 480 4gb is $199 with just about half of the wattage. Actually, they should drop 390 to $230 or so (at least).
  • Brie844Brie844 Finland, Capital City of VantaaMember Posts: 63
    You building dual core miner? :) Allright...! :) Prize is high of new graphic cards and hardware :neutral:
    @Biodom I think now is now the right moment to buy new gpu's right. Wait for another month.. or 2? We are busy with making cases ready for hopefully 6 x 480
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    I order one as far as they are on Amazon.
    My pc needs a gpu....
    If the 480 do well i will order some more ;)
    bitcanuck said:

Linux AMD driver support appears to be in a state of flux, so I'll probably start with just a single card for testing.
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-16.04-Dropping-fglrx
    https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

Even mining on Windows might be an issue since most of the 16.x drivers suck for mining (except maybe 16.5.3 from what I've heard).

Had a feeling that would happen..

Same here, going to receive one first, test the sh** out of it and if it's interesting, i'll order a "bunch" :tongue:
    edited June 2016
    @Dr_House86 @Heliox
    What are you talking about, fellas? Was there a 480 pre-order that I was not aware of?
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    Biodom said:

It has began...both newegg and Microcenter dropped the MSI R9 390 8gb gaming price to $289.99 (without any rebate); makes sense if MSRP on RX 480 4gb is $199 with just about half of the wattage. Actually, they should drop 390 to $230 or so (at least).

Hope Nano pricing falls too!
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Biodom said:

@Dr_House86 @Heliox
    What are you talking about, fellas? Was there a 480 pre-order that I was not aware of?

I looked on amazon and there is an AMD 480 ssd lol
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    No pre-order.
    But when they are on the market i order one.
    Mining or not my working pc needs a gpu ;)
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I'm not gonna buy any until one of you people buy it, test it, and report your results :)
    My distributor just gave me a call yesterday begging me to buy up the rest of their 390s LOL
    I won't be doing that until I can be certain that there won't be much of an advantage over the polaris.
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    hasher said:

I'm not gonna buy any until one of you people buy it, test it, and report your results :)
    My distributor just gave me a call yesterday begging me to buy up the rest of their 390s LOL
    I won't be doing that until I can be certain that there won't be much of an advantage over the polaris.

@hasher I'm with you. Everything about the rx 480 screams r9 380 to me, as everything is the same except 300 extra stream processors and a smaller die size from what I can see. Graphics wise it may be on par with the 390, but given the lower memory bandwidth I would like someone else to be the Guinea pig lol...Ill just keep scooping up Nano's for super cheap in the process.
  • testmantestman australiaMember Posts: 30
    In Australia the RX480 and 480 CF are set to be priced at $900-1000 AUD total ripoff when there only 200 usd (250 AUD
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    Eastwind said:

The memory bandwidth is just 256 bit, R9 390 is 512 bit. It might not be good for Eth mining.

7970 have 384 bit and 2048 SP
    380X have 256 bit and 2048 SP

But 380X sligtly faster than 7970 on ETH mining

RX 480 seems to be good for but I see one problem - most reviewers say that power delivery will be divided - 75 W through PCI-E slot and 75 W through 6 or 8 pin power plug.

So we definitely need to use powered risers with RX 480 or we burn our mobo's.