Life after ETH mining

citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
Just for discussion.... if POS happens tomorrow, what is the best strategy for the existing ETH rigs?
The following did cross my mind but I want to know everyones feedback.

1. Sell them off as gaming PCs (assuming you have decent CPU)
2. Mine another hot coin (X11 aint too bad...)
3. Rent them off MRR or Nicehash (mine on a decent coin while waiting to be rented)
4. Rent or Sell them off to some university for GPU-based projects (assuming you have multiple rigs with 5/6 cards)
5. Suck an egg and throw them off in the ocean (assuming you late in the game, max out your credit cards to buy dozens of brand new Nanos...)

Comments

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Only thing you can do is sell the GPUs.

There will be nothing else worth mining. X11 is out since ASICs just came out for it.

You can mine Quark/Qubit but you will make like $0.25/day per 280X like it was a year ago.

Sell the GPUs and get an Antminer S9 if you want to continue mining.
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    adaseb said:

Only thing you can do is sell the GPUs.

There will be nothing else worth mining. X11 is out since ASICs just came out for it.

You can mine Quark/Qubit but you will make like $0.25/day per 280X like it was a year ago.

Sell the GPUs and get an Antminer S9 if you want to continue mining.

@adaseb, do you have a time machine? It is broken! Because in my future ...
    November brings the colapse of the US dollor as the worlds reserve currency.
    China and Russia along with Iran, India, Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic, Eastern Ukraine and New Kyrdistan trade with each other in bitcoin.
    Bitcoin reaches 1troy oz of Gold per bitcoin and establishis it self as the new world reserve currency.
    Arab nations traid oil for Bitgold.
    Eth goes PoS and mining ends.
    UK release their own coin to mine "Britcoin",
    Eurozone releases its own coin to mine "EuroCOIN"
    and the US release "TrumpCOIN".

So Penty to mine in my world i think! :)

• HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    That post made my day :)

Thx for that @greenuser

Anyhow.

Sell my gpu's, yeah i can, but it will be to buy new ones :tongue:
    Nothing else worth to mine? I've been around since late 2013, there will always be something to mine.
    The profit on the other hand, that is the only thing that changes..
    Get myself Antminers? Ha .. sure.. where is the fun in that.. i bought myself a few a few months ago just for the fun of it and i had to make some expenses as otherwise i would have to pay to much taxes to this beautiful country :unamused: .

On the other hand, if POS arrives, i don't know what i'm going to do as like greenuser said, i don't have a glass bowl, and if i would, where's the fun in that? :)

Greetings!
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    I will not run a node for a PoS coin. If it doesn't have a lite portable wallet to use without a node, i'm not interested in even holding a few coin. It will just turn to dustcoin!
    Does decentralisation mean we host servers at home and carry the running costs and maintenance ourselves? Cos if it does, i'm happy for it all to stay centralised and let the multi corps have the noise and heat of a data centre or three.
    Mining and the running of full nodes needs to have a payback or its all just snake oil.
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    LOL... Greenuser.... your first post was classic!

And I thought my last resort of just running Nicehash multi-algo miner on all my rigs will at least give me some dollars to pay for electricity and broadband bills, was crazy.
  • cprietocprieto Member Posts: 14
    sorry to bring back this post but i dont want to open a new thread

im reading and people keep saying they will sell gpus or build gamin pcs after eth goes pos..

my question is:

our rigs (mine rx 480) cant mine other altcoin? i mean, if they will sell gpus is because it will be a complete garbage to mine others altcoins?

regards
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    lol greenuser wasnt far off
    other than the dollar not collapsing and only 2 versions of btc coming about
  • wcryanwcryan Member Posts: 157
    What's wrong with ETC? That's where I would go after PoS
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Life after eth mining......

• headworxheadworx Member Posts: 9
    BUTUZ said:

Life after eth mining......

:D