Lisp Builds

Does anyone either have Lisp-based project development underway or is actively thinking of exercising Lisp within the Ethereum context?

Comments

• Jam10oJam10o Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    The current Ethereum compiler can parse a lisp-like AST, (and even converts Python-like code into an AST before compiling). It's already lisp-based :) go for it!
  • Jam10oJam10o Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Ignore the previous comment, I just realized you were asking for the client in a lisp context, not Ethereum script.
  • jTAjTA Member Posts: 50
    Thanks! No, you were exactly right the first time - the Ethereum context looks to be a "natural fit" for Lisp-based development, even at a foundational level? You were right the second time, too, of course - Lisp should extend well right through the whole Ethereum development chain?
  • AdlaiAdlai Member Posts: 1
    Are you thinking of writing a lisp port of the Ethereum client? If so... which lisp? :-)
    Initially, I'm looking to identify any/all Lisp-based Ethereum projects, regardless of the underlying "flavour" of Lisp being employed. Yes, I am thinking of a Lisp port for the Ethereum client (but I was thinking of something "lower down" the Ethereum chain). If pushed, probably Allegro CL?
    "someone" within the LISP community is interested (and capable) of taking on LISP -based projects within the Ethereum context. There may however be a need for some $bucks/btc/ether to hit the table for them to progress? anyone interested in contemplating contributing in a "crowd-based" sort of way (or any other way)?
    @Ursium @Adlaiet et al - just out of curiousity where would you (like to) see lisp being exercised lower down, down near ES2 and CLL, say, but anywhere it could intercede is of much interest?
    Would the possibility of some flavour of LISP generating ES2 be of any interest?
    If one has a real "kick-ass" piece of ES2 how would one best a) get it taken up by the Ethereum community and b) have it generate ether? Does this make any real sense?
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    @JaneTa not too sure what you mean by 'lower down'. That said I have absolutely no doubt we're going to see ES compilers written in just about any language under the sun, as programmers will compete to make them as efficient as possible.
  • FreddyFenderFreddyFender Member Posts: 39
    @janeTA You mention Allegro CL earlier on and I would like to know your thoughts on Franz's Gruff as a visualization tool for large data sets? Is there anything comparable or better that you know of? I was thinking of integrating it into an Open Source project I had in mind.
    @FreddyFender Sorry, haven't looked at Gruff in ages :( May depend on your data - gruff's focus used to be graphs, RDF etc? Was free, probably still is? Talk to them and give it a "thrash"? Not sure of licencing (constraints)? Like most Franz stuff, pretty nice but may be a few "fzgotchas"? Comparables ... gravity at salzburgresearch.at, isaviz at w3.org, welkin at mit, lodlive at lod2.eu but my "grasp" is "dated". Nice stuff for blabs now spilling out, like cytoscape.org? Javascript infoviz toolkit? Sorry, not being all that helpful :( Good luck with Gruff, tho'!
  • FreddyFenderFreddyFender Member Posts: 39
    @janeTA Thanx for the info and the "fzgotchas" I haven't forgotten the slow transition from muddled licenses to Open Source. I'll check the other links and ask around. Lisp is great way to comprehend ethereum's potential.
    @FreddyFender sorry I don't have the actual links. This may be useful in a generic sort-of way? http://blog.profitbricks.com/39-data-visualization-tools-for-big-data/
    @FreddyFender " ... Lisp is great way to comprehend ethereum's potential " Yes, I really think so, too? But, on reflection, your "lateral" mention of Franz' Gruff may be even more so? Thinking ...
    @Ursium Sorry, slow getting at some items. re " ... not too sure what you mean by 'lower down'" ... One assumes a standard reference VM is being written somewhere (within Etherium) but does that preclude other (possibly competitor) VMs hitting the deck?
    @Adlai et al. re " ... Initially, I'm looking to identify any/all Lisp-based Ethereum projects." I suspect this may be somewhat naive? Many such projects may wish to remain fully cloaked, of course - so good luck with those. However, should anyone have an open project exercising lisp (any flavor) underway/in mind and wants to list it, I have opened a topic under the category "projects" for that purpose. I am nothing, if not an optimist?
    @jTA the vms are part of the reference clients. Anyone can feel free to submit pull request to improve their performance, or develop a client in a different language than the ones we make available.
    @Ursium re " ... vms are part of the reference clients". Thank you for that. Aaarrggh! Not quite what I had anticipated (but now sort-of obvious?), although I assume some clear demarcation, even bifircation, somewhere, sometime? I'm now looking much harder at the Ethereum ... "spec" :(
  • morpheusmorpheus GaiaMember Posts: 3
    @jTA the white paper is now the 'softer' protocol spec, with the yellow paper (http://gavwood.com/Paper.pdf) being the more 'technical' one.

Furthermore, a software structure map is coming up, we're going to release it shortly (working on illustrations at the moment). It will clearly explain the various layers that forms the foundation of our development strategy. We've come a long way in a few short months :)