RMA

IkeagoIkeago Member Posts: 130
Hey guys I just had to RMA some GPU and thought my experience might be helpful to anyone else trying.

Asus 2x r9 290s I had taken them apart and tried to reflow them (AKA baked the shit out of them.) because I thought they were out of warranty by at least a year. I called asus and had no problems at all they told me they were still under warranty and to send them in. These things were litecoin mining so I do know how old they are but pretty damn old. I got a reply that they were upgrading them to the fury because they could not be repaired and it should be here in a couple of days.

Gigabyte 7950 This card is more of a novelty to me as it was in the first batch of GPU i ordered. I saw it had a 3 year warranty that was still good so I contacted Gigabyte. They said it was under warranty when i ran the S/N on the website. Then a week later they sent me a generic email saying it was not. I responded with the invoice showing it was. They emailed me back asking for a better pic so I took one and sent it back. I waited like a week and contacted them again they sent me a RMA number so I am about to send it in.

Sapphire r9 290 same batch from asus they said they were not under warranty and nothing I could do about it. I will not be buying anymore sapphires =(

asus rocked the RMA I will probably be a loyal ASUS fan from now on.

Comments

• VuQuocHai1VuQuocHai1 Member Posts: 49
    Gigabyte suck warranty at my country too .
    Fuck off Gigabyte .
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Asus, Gigabyte & MSI are the easiest to deal with warranty wise, all three use a serial number-based warranty system, 3 years from manufacture date, no invoice/receipt needed.

for MSI the date is the first 4 digits after the final letter, so V277SB1404 would be April 2014
    For Gigabyte, the four digit date is instead the year & week of manufacture
    For ASUS, it's an alphanumeric code where A = 2010, B=2011, etc... so a serial starting with E6 = June 2014
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Sapphire is the worse manufacteur. Their warranty is only 2 years and not transferrable.
  • IkeagoIkeago Member Posts: 130
    How to they figure that because the date on the S/N should be the date created not the date sold.

What if newegg had my cards on the shelf for 6 months before they sold it to me?
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @Ikeago
    You are right, it's not strictly based on manufacture date, if you do provide an invoice it should be 3yrs from invoice for all three.

Also Gigabyte's seems to be 3 years plus a few months to take that into account
  • IkeagoIkeago Member Posts: 130
    Ah awesome that makes a lot of sense so if you run the S/N and its recently out of date go back and look at your invoices.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    I've never had an issue with an RMA but its usually within the first year of so of a card use, if a card gets past a year in my experience it usually lasts at least the three years allowed.