Radeon Pro Duos

workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
Got my first Radeon Pro Duo in today. After a bit of fiddling, my current sweet spot is at 1050mhz core. It ran up to 1120mhz before crashing, but undervolting wasn't as stable. With -100mv undervolt and 1050mhz core, am quite satisfied with the results.

With claymore v4.1 (ethi 8, dcri 60) I am getting:
ETH - Total Speed: 62.117 Mh/s
ETH: GPU0 30.909 Mh/s, GPU1 31.208 Mh/s
DCR - Total Speed: 1863.518 Mh/s
DCR: GPU0 927.275 Mh/s, GPU1 936.243 Mh/s

Comments

• workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    bitcanuck said:

Considering the price, I should hope so!

It's definitely a novelty item more so then a mining investment. I am using this one in my main workstation, so the significant noise decrease over the old R9 290 I had is very welcomed. Will do power tests and BIOS mod later, see what I can get this baby running at.
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Are you going to let us in on what power its pulling at the wall or... 5v (assuming its on a powered riser) and 12v current draw?
    So we get to see its efficiency (Watts per Mh/s)
    and see its real bang per buck?
    greenuser said:

Are you going to let us in on what power its pulling at the wall or... 5v (assuming its on a powered riser) and 12v current draw?
    So we get to see its efficiency (Watts per Mh/s)
    and see its real bang per buck?

I will post power usage figures once I get around to that, yup.
  • dominusdominus Member Posts: 36
    You are satisfied?

It is a 1500EUR card hashing at 2x390(650EUR) speed.
    The power consumption is a bit on your side but never getting a 850EUR difference.
    And there is allways a problem to resell such expensive gpus for normal money...

I would cry with such performance unless You got it for half price.

It is just my opinion, no offense...
    @dominus I plan to have this card for quite a while. It's certainly not just for ether.
    edited May 2016
    The more I downclock, the happier this card seems to be. Will probably need to poke @Heliox soon for help verifying my attempt at a modded BIOS.

I found the firepro workstation drivers for this card (wasn't immediately obvious where they were, and AMD certainly wasn't making it clear). Looks like clockrates are more stable (no clock throttling at -100mv for reasonabe overclocks) and hashrate ever so slightly higher with these drivers installed.

I suspect GPU #2 is a silicon lottery loser tho on this card. It seems meh at best. Admittedly, the cooling situation could be a lot better; I couldn't mount the radiator pointing upwards, because it wouldn't fit in my desktop case that way (corsair 900d case). I have it venting out the rear, and there is a pretty good "bubble" of hot air back there that's getting sucked back into the case.
    Post edited by work on
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    they are way too expnsive at $1500 i would be a buyer though at around $1200
  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    I'm wondering how well are the GTC 1080s hashing lol. They seem really power efficient being 25% more powerful than the 980ti. Not to mention Nvidia has better resale value.
    edited May 2016
    Latest hashrate results after some more fiddling:

ETH - Total Speed: 61.268 Mh/s
    ETH: GPU0 30.675 Mh/s, GPU1 30.593 Mh/s
    DCR - Total Speed: 3369.731 Mh/s
    DCR: GPU0 1687.141 Mh/s, GPU1 1682.590 Mh/s

It seems like these fiji chips can really pump out the dcr hashes with no loss to ethash if you tune them right.

Would be curious if nano can do the same thing; that's some pretty big mining gains.
  • 295x2295x2 Member Posts: 36
    My 295x2 pulls 62 MH/s on ETH and did cost less than 1/3 of a Pro Duo.. so where is the sense?
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    syaoran99 said:

I'm wondering how well are the GTC 1080s hashing lol. They seem really power efficient being 25% more powerful than the 980ti. Not to mention Nvidia has better resale value.

Nano does seem, to able to get past 1300 DCR without losing eth hash rate unless raising the core clock which in turn boosts power usages.
  • oslakoslak Member Posts: 191
    @295x2 Were you able to measure the consumption of your card?
    oslak said:

@295x2 Were you able to measure the consumption of your card?

Yes - it's about 450 watts at the wall @ 1050 MHz core clock (ETH only mining)
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    @295x2 can you post a screenshot of the 62mhs? As far as I know it was doing 51mhs stock.
    edited June 2016
    bbcoin said:

@295x2 can you post a screenshot of the 62mhs? As far as I know it was doing 51mhs stock.

Sure: The 295x2 is GPU2 / GPU3

It's ~59,7 MH/s @ 1055 MHz.
    At 1100 it's 61 MH/s.

At stock clock of 1018 it's ~ 58,5 MH/s
  • IkeagoIkeago Member Posts: 130
    I'm getting a tad less than that on mine but not much.
    Ikeago said:

I'm getting a tad less than that on mine but not much.

Do you also have a 295x2?
    I bought mine used with a custom 240mm radiator so that my card max out at 61 degrees celsius.

I'm planing to buy one more but with the stock radiator. Does anyone here know if it is strong enough to hold the card in the temp limit of 74 degrees @ 1050 MHz?
  • kaese2002kaese2002 Member Posts: 10
    Is it also appearing as two card in the Device manager?
    kaese2002 said:

Is it also appearing as two card in the Device manager?

Dual GPU's are always shown as 2 seperate cards in the device manager.
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    work said:

Got my first Radeon Pro Duo in today. After a bit of fiddling, my current sweet spot is at 1050mhz core. It ran up to 1120mhz before crashing, but undervolting wasn't as stable. With -100mv undervolt and 1050mhz core, am quite satisfied with the results.

With claymore v4.1 (ethi 8, dcri 60) I am getting:
    ETH - Total Speed: 62.117 Mh/s
    ETH: GPU0 30.909 Mh/s, GPU1 31.208 Mh/s
    DCR - Total Speed: 1863.518 Mh/s
    DCR: GPU0 927.275 Mh/s, GPU1 936.243 Mh/s

im sure with moded bios u can go over 85~ 100 MH/s as it has memory bus 4096-bit
    the sapphire Rx 480 has 256bit memory and it gives 31.1++ MH with moded bios
    edited September 2016
    @midoprince you're compute limited on these cards, so nope.... Memory bandwidth is so high w/ HBM that you can underclock memory from 500mhz to 300mhz and actually gain hashrate (thanks to the tighter timings), and even then the memory controller is under less than 80% load.

The RX 480 on the other hand is memory limited, not compute limited, so that comparison really doesn't work.
  • UninexusUninexus Member Posts: 3
    work said:

@midoprince you're compute limited on these cards, so nope.... Memory bandwidth is so high w/ HBM that you can underclock memory from 500mhz to 300mhz and actually gain hashrate (thanks to the tighter timings), and even then the memory controller is under less than 80% load.

The RX 480 on the other hand is memory limited, not compute limited, so that comparison really doesn't work.

Would you please explain what you mean ? Are you talking about specific settings for the 295x2 ? How would I follow your procedure.
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    3 x 480 = 3 x 300$ = 87-90 MH = 360 W power consumption.

Fury, Hawaii are obsolete.
  • RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
    @work Are you still mining on your Pro Duo? If so, what kind of BIOS and clocks are you running? Have you tried it on Zcash?
    @Rider yup. Stock BIOS, 1050mhz core and 300mhz mem gives ~60MH/s. Haven't tried it with z.cash.
  • RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
    Been looking for reasonably priced Pro Duo cards, came across these on Amazon.

It's like they say. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Turns out they're scammers.

@Rider sad but true. There are a lot of scammers on amazon recently, with varying levels of sophistication. I've seen fake sellers go as far as to provide a tracking number that is headed to the same city as the purchaser (but really, is just a random tracking number they probably brute forced).

On topic, I had to RMA by Pro Duo because it started insta-crashing any machine it was plugged into. New card is SAVAGELY better. Runs -125mv core @ 1080mhz. Silicon lottery won.
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I already sold mine, but it was running [email protected] -48mV that gave 2 x 310sol/s
  • Bemx2kBemx2k Member Posts: 6
    Radeon Pro Duo is a wasteing money , for the same money you can buy 4x Sapphire 480 which gives you double hashrate :) 120MH/s ETH and for example 1500 H/s mining Monero
    edited January 2017
    @Bemx2k what about resale? Duo cards have classically re-sold for much more particularly outside of mining boom periods. What about other uses like gaming or VR production? Some cards do more then just mine, and quad cross-fire is pretty pointless. What about other more-memory intensive algos like equihash? Fiji chips with HBM have a huge advantage over RX 480s. What about being able to get 8 GPJs on a single 4 PCIe slot motherboard? Etc.

Yes, they are expensive for what they are. But sometimes that is only part of the story. Also, RX series cards were still only a glimmer in AMDs eye when the Pro Duo was available.