Why you SHOULD NOT MINE Ethereum now with more rigs

Comments

• rdnkjdirdnkjdi Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I did some really rough calculations on eth mining. This spreadsheet isn't pretty .. I just spent 10 min on it. But it's worth looking at or building your own if you're thinking about getting into mining.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rlKs8KjJnmy1j25a30ScxAKTGvtTncncFrtVO6VJY-o
  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    rdnkjdi said:

I did some really rough calculations on eth mining. This spreadsheet isn't pretty .. I just spent 10 min on it. But it's worth looking at or building your own if you're thinking about getting into mining.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rlKs8KjJnmy1j25a30ScxAKTGvtTncncFrtVO6VJY-o

Thanks for the share. I'll have a look as soon as I get back home. Interested to see how far off my rough mental calculations are.
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Anyone who comes to a miner forum telling people not to mine.. :|
    rdnkjdi said:

Still impossible to determine what price will be at any given time.

If Eth were to shoot up $20+ (or even $10-$15) and stay stable - every single thread saying not to mine would be completely wrong and laughed at.

..and of course the complete opposite can happen.

But so far for myself I invested approx $9,000 in March and have made back approx $3,000+

That leaves approx $6,000 left to be made, and when you consider resell value (everything brand new with years of warranty) - I've already broke even - in fact if I were to sell off right NOW I could easily get $7,000+ since GPUs are still holding 75%+ resell value. (in fact it is more like 85-90% as of writing!)

I'm just so glad that when I came to a MINER FORUM I didn't listen to threads like these.

I do live in the USA where electricity isn't the cheapest, but not the most expensive compared to other countries. Really this is the key here is how cheap you can get it, Canadians seem to be doing very well along with China of course.

Personally I could survive still at $3-$5 eth price range but I believe Eth will go back up to $10+ and possibly $20+ mainly because I also believe in the technology itself along with the dev team.
  • hawkfishhawkfish Member Posts: 10
    ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

If Eth were to shoot up $20+ and stay stable - every single thread saying not to mine would be completely wrong and laughed at.

But so far for myself I invested approx $9,000 in March and have made back approx $3,000+

That leaves approx $6,000 left to be made, and when you consider resell value (everything brand new with years of warranty) - I've already broke even - in fact if I were to sell off right NOW I could easily get $7,000+ since GPUs are still holding 75%+ resell value. (in fact it is more like 85-90% as of writing!)

I'm just so glad that when I came to a MINER FORUM I didn't listen to threads like these.

I do live in the USA where electricity isn't the cheapest, but not the most expensive compared to other countries. Really this is the key here is how cheap you can get it, Canadians seem to be doing very well along with China of course.

Personally I could survive still at $3-$5 eth price range but I believe Eth will go back up to $10+ and possibly $20+ mainly because I also believe in the technology itself along with the dev team.
    +1, I remember selling my GPUs before buying my first ASIC back in the days. I was able to get 90% of the original purchase price on eBay without a single return. People seems to use ETH dfficulty rise as a constant but neglect resale value, possibility of ETH price increase? I started early this month with 10 R9 390s and 2 R9 nanos, it seems they are going for more than I paid for on eBay. If I sell the cards, I get my initial investment back plus get to keep some free ETH!
  • oslakoslak Member Posts: 191
    I would like to call him "The Clown" from now on. You can all follow. You dont have to tell him that he is a clown but always think every time you read something from him, think of him as a clown. Nothing more.
    oslak said:

I would like to call him "The Clown" from now on. You can all follow. You dont have to tell him that he is a clown but always think every time you read something from him, think of him as a clown. Nothing more.

Okay clown!
    edited April 2016
    ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

If Eth were to shoot up $20+ (or even $10-$15) and stay stable - every single thread saying not to mine would be completely wrong and laughed at.

LOL I think you fail to grasp my calculation. The price increase of ETH doesn't change the fact that your amount of ETH mined will never be more than the amount of ETH you could have bought at that very same time you bought the GPUs

If the price rose to 20USD, you'd be making more off buying that ETH at this time than you would have earnt with that measly ETH you mined within one month or even the next 10 months to top that with the current difficulty.

If you can't understand what I'm saying then you really need to go back to pre-school and learn your mathematics all over.

If you think you're right then Prove me wrong by showing the calculations.

Lets play the game of who's the clown now shall we? @oslak tag you're it.
    edited April 2016
    syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

LOL I think you fail to grasp my calculation. The price increase of ETH doesn't change the fact that your amount of ETH mined will never be more than the amount of ETH you could have bought at that very same time you bought the GPUs

If the price rose to 20USD, you'd be making more off buying that ETH at this time than you would have earnt with that measly ETH you mined within one month or even the next 10 months to top that with the current difficulty.

If you can't understand what I'm saying then you really need to go back to pre-school and learn your mathematics all over.

Damn you really suck at calculations and reading.

Why would I want to buy air, when I can buy someone with easy resell value that generates said air?

Jesus so many things are just right over your head.
  • wege12wege12 USAMember Posts: 64
    edited April 2016
    syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

You are right in the fact that he could've bought more ETH initially at the time he bought his GPUs than he can mine in a specific time period. But you're ignoring the resale value of his equipment. This means that he is actually getting ETH cheaper than outright buying it, or possibly free if he found amazing deals on GPUs, once he decides to sell his mining gear.

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

You are right in the fact that he could've bought more ETH initially at the time he bought his GPUs than be can mine in a specific time period. Bought you're ignoring the resale value of his equipment. This means that he is actually getting ETH cheaper than outright buying it, or possibly free if he found amazing deals on GPUs, once he decides to sell his mining gear.

Yup, so stupid to come here saying don't mine you might as well just buy Eth instead.. So many things over these kids heads its insane. Maybe just trolling, I really don't know..

Fucking clowns!
    ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

You are right in the fact that he could've bought more ETH initially at the time he bought his GPUs than be can mine in a specific time period. Bought you're ignoring the resale value of his equipment. This means that he is actually getting ETH cheaper than outright buying it, or possibly free if he found amazing deals on GPUs, once he decides to sell his mining gear.

Yup, so stupid to come here saying don't mine you might as well just buy Eth instead.. So many things over these kids heads its insane. Maybe just trolling, I really don't know..

Fucking clowns!
    And you're basing the resale value and electricity cost based on the US only no? So your situation is the only sort of situation the world is in? Please shows how inconsiderate you are. Don't speak for others who're not in your situation lol. My calculations apply to those to find it relevant to themselves and is a warning to let people check and calculate for themselves before they actually commit to buying GPU.

Also, obviously you haven't read my other pointers regarding Mined ETH being entitled to GST tax twice once for selling the ETH to bitcoin and once for receiving the bitcoin, PLUS the fact that when you mine the bitcoin, it is taxed at your annual income tax rate based on your income bracket ON THAT DAY.

Plus the fact that all your GPUs sold are entitled to income tax as well or as a business sales depending on the amount of money you get from selling it.

So you're saying minus all those your GPU still retains 90% from bought value? You must be a criminal evading tax. The IRS should arrest you.

That said, you say it as if one could sell 100 GPU within one day on ebay lol. Doesn't ebay have a 100 item limit per month? As each month passes by, the GPU value would likely reduce as well and not to mention that since you bought the GPU already, why would you sell it after 3 months just to get back less of what your card would have been worth lol.

In that 3 months if you bought the ETH itself, you have no more entitlements for electricity bill, no more entitlements to mining income tax if ETH devalues plus you get to trade that whole sum of ETH on the exchange allowing yourself opportunities to ride the volatile market and get 15% gains on the WHOLE SUM.

I need not point out that my suggestion far outshines that of what this criminal is suggesting.

I'd rather be a clown than a criminal any day.

Please, take your best shot. I'll be waiting.
    edited April 2016
    syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!
    And you're basing the resale value and electricity cost based on the US only no? So your situation is the only sort of situation the world is in?
    All I had to do was read was the first sentence to know you don't pay attention.

"And you're basing the resale value and electricity cost based on the US only no? "

Go back and read before you make more ignorant statements.
  • wege12wege12 USAMember Posts: 64
    syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!
    And you're basing the resale value and electricity cost based on the US only no? So your situation is the only sort of situation the world is in? Please shows how inconsiderate you are. Don't speak for others who're not in your situation lol. My calculations apply to those to find it relevant to themselves and is a warning to let people check and calculate for themselves before they actually commit to buying GPU.

Also, obviously you haven't read my other pointers regarding Mined ETH being entitled to GST tax twice once for selling the ETH to bitcoin and once for receiving the bitcoin, PLUS the fact that when you mine the bitcoin, it is taxed at your annual income tax rate based on your income bracket ON THAT DAY.

Plus the fact that all your GPUs sold are entitled to income tax as well or as a business sales depending on the amount of money you get from selling it.

So you're saying minus all those your GPU still retains 90% from bought value? You must be a criminal evading tax. The IRS should arrest you.

That said, you say it as if one could sell 100 GPU within one day on ebay lol. Doesn't ebay have a 100 item limit per month? As each month passes by, the GPU value would likely reduce as well and not to mention that since you bought the GPU already, why would you sell it after 3 months just to get back less of what your card would have been worth lol.

In that 3 months if you bought the ETH itself, you have no more entitlements for electricity bill, no more entitlements to mining income tax if ETH devalues plus you get to trade that whole sum of ETH on the exchange allowing yourself opportunities to ride the volatile market and get 15% gains on the WHOLE SUM.

I need not point out that my suggestion far outshines that of what this criminal is suggesting.

Hey man everyone is entitled to their own opinions and projections but to call someone a criminal without ANY proof whatsoever, is crossing a line big time. We're all here for the same reason. Let's try and keep it friendly.
    wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!

Hey man everyone is entitled to their own opinions and projections but to call someone a criminal without ANY proof whatsoever, is crossing a line big time. We're all here for the same reason. Let's try and keep it friendly.
    It's fine nobody is hurt from that sentiment. It's just name calling. We do that to each other regularly. Look at how friendly he is giving me a nickname too!
    wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!

This is exactly why I just ignore people like this, always making assumptions as if they were fact.

What a clown! ;)
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if when this forum is dead, syaroan99 will still be the only one posting on it...
    ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!
    And you're basing the resale value and electricity cost based on the US only no? So your situation is the only sort of situation the world is in?
    All I had to read was the first sentence to know you don't pay attention.

"And you're basing the resale value and electricity cost based on the US only no? "

There's nothing ignorant about my question statement. You live in the USA and that's it. Your situation does not represent the majority of the people out there who're interested in mining.

You might be able to still profit marginally At 5USD others won't. So what's the harm in informing others to be more thoughtful of what they're investing into? Not everybody is as selfish as you are with your agenda of selling your cards now that the going got tough to people so now you're bashing those who're making it difficult for you?

Again YOU should read my responses carefully. I've addressed everything there is to defend about my opinion. Bash away all you like mate. This is the final ounce of attention i'm going to give you anyway.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Why can't we just all get along :).
    edited April 2016
    syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!

There's nothing ignorant about my question statement. You live in the USA and that's it. Your situation does not represent the majority of the people out there who're interested in mining.
    Duh? Maybe learn to read. Infact my situation is worse than a lot of other people as I already mentioned, so this shows how little you take account for EVERYBODY as I already did.

AGAIN showing you don't read. Just don't talk anymore at this point.

Learn.
    To.
    Read.

"I do live in the USA where electricity isn't the cheapest, but not the most expensive compared to other countries. Really this is the key here is how cheap you can get it, Canadians seem to be doing very well along with China of course."
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    syaoran99 said:

It's fine nobody is hurt from that sentiment. It's just name calling. We do that to each other regularly. Look at how friendly he is giving me a nickname too!

Actually... it would be considered slander.

That's not even to mention that your talk about GST is retarded and tax rules depend entirely on where you live. There's plenty of places in the world where you absolutely can mine and hold and not pay tax until you sell/exchange.

work said:

syaoran99 said:

That's not even to mention that your talk about GST is retarded and tax rules depend entirely on where you live. There's plenty of places in the world where you absolutely can mine and hold and not pay tax until you sell/exchange.

Yeah I'm really starting to think he is one of those trolls from Bitcointalk.

Jumps to conclusions, doesn't read, makes false statements, name calling, etc.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I am just going to stay out of this thread for now.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @adaseb cc: @ditto ya... it would probably be wise if I didn't feed the troll too.
    ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!

Duh? Maybe learn to read. Infact my situation is worse than a lot of other people as I already mentioned, so this shows how little you take account for EVERYBODY as I already did.

Learn.
    To.
    Read.

"I do live in the USA where electricity isn't the cheapest, but not the most expensive compared to other countries. Really this is the key here is how cheap you can get it, Canadians seem to be doing very well along with China of course."
    Look who's trolling. Obviously you don't read and understand what I'm saying.

"And you're basing the resale value and electricity cost based on the US only no? So your situation is the only sort of situation the world is in?"

Keep reading it out loud. Maybe you will understand that I'm not literally asking you a question. It's a statement put as a sarcastic question. *facepalm

Srsly I'm at a loss for words with someone so dense.
    syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!

Learn.
    To.
    Read.

"And you're basing the resale value and electricity cost based on the US only no? So your situation is the only sort of situation the world is in?"

Keep reading it out loud. Maybe you will understand that I'm not literally asking you a question. It's a statement put as a sarcastic question. *facepalm

I already proved you didn't read what I said, so anything else you say is just more noise.

Read before you talk troll.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    On the other hand, lots of activity again here :D
    work said:

syaoran99 said:

if you'd like to go down that road, i could very well say that this is a case of cyber bullying as well. so whatever.

Also, the world must be really something now that people lack the common sense to apply what I said to themselves only if it actually applies to them? LOL
    syaoran99 said:

work said:

syaoran99 said:

if you'd like to go down that road, i could very well say that this is a case of cyber bullying as well. so whatever.

Also, the world must be really something now that people lack the common sense to apply what I said to themselves only if it actually applies to them? LOL
    Common sense is something you might want to acquire before posting again.
    ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!

Learn.
    To.
    Read.

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!

Learn.
    To.
    Read.

I already proved you didn't read what I said, so anything else you say is just more noise.

You assume your situation is worse off than others lol. Mind you USA has much cheaper electricity than many other countries out there in the world. Also, as per the second quote, you're obviously in the wrong where you originally misread my question and assumed that I didn't read yours right LOL.

Please a troll trying to push off his mistakes by calling others troll. I rest my case. Waste of my time even bothering to respond to the likes of you. Your mistake at least have the balls to admit you read me wrongly and apologise.
    edited April 2016
    syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!

Learn.
    To.
    Read.

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

wege12 said:

syaoran99 said:

ditto said:

rdnkjdi said:

Fucking clowns!

Learn.
    To.
    Read.

You assume your situation is worse off than others lol. Mind you USA has much cheaper electricity than many other countries out there in the world. Also, as per the second quote, you're obviously in the wrong where you originally misread my question and assumed that I didn't read yours right LOL.

Please a troll trying to push off his mistakes by calling others troll. I rest my case. Waste of my time even bothering to respond to the likes of you. Your mistake at least have the balls to admit you read me wrongly and apologise.
    Ah so you are trolling, this whole thread was just one big troll and none sense, just like the other threads telling people not to mine.

You made even more false assumptions and statements again.