PCI Riser woes

akropissakropiss Member Posts: 64
edited April 2016 in IoT & Hardware
So, I got a hold of some powered USB PCI x1 - 16 risers, plugged them in, they weren't recognized, reinstalled drivers, windows, went through BIOS and forced pcie 2.0, disabled usb 3.0 options,etc. even did the jumper thing for ribbon cables, nothing works, it does get recognized as PCI to PCI communication device in device manager, the fans will spin, but I can't get it working, any tips?

Asrock H97 anniversary 1 pci x16, 5 pci x1
Pentium Celeron G1840
8GB ram 1600mhz

Post edited by akropiss on

Comments

• akropissakropiss Member Posts: 64
    seriously, is there some hidden trick to setting up risers or something? anybody care to walk me through how they did theirs?
  • mastolarmastolar Member Posts: 3
    www.gobitgo.com/articles/1001/How-To-Correctly-Use-and-Install-PCI-E-Riser-Cables
    mastolar said:

www.gobitgo.com/articles/1001/How-To-Correctly-Use-and-Install-PCI-E-Riser-Cables

thanks for the response, but there's nothing new there for me. it seems like my system just doesn't want to detect the gpus, the risers it does. I've even gone so far as changing OS, and still all i get is the LEDs, fans spinning, etc.
    Finally, after hours on end, it turns out my processor only has 16 PCI lanes, so if a card is in the x16 slot, nothing else can be detected, I did however try all cards on risers though using IGPU or a x1 in x16 slot, i can't remember. either way, I wouldn't have this problem if i picked up an average i3 i think, but still worth the savings imho.
    bitcanuck said:

akropiss said:

Finally, after hours on end, it turns out my processor only has 16 PCI lanes, so if a card is in the x16 slot, nothing else can be detected, I did however try all cards on risers though using IGPU or a x1 in x16 slot, i can't remember. either way, I wouldn't have this problem if i picked up an average i3 i think, but still worth the savings imho.

I have a G1840 in a z87 asus mobo. 3 cards are in the 16x on-board slots, and 2 are in risers.
    strange, I still can't figure it out, it turns out i only got 2 cards detected, the third just spins the fans, and when i rebooted i had to play around with the slot order because it stopped detecting the second, I've got a heap of spare risers and i doubt they're all defective.
  • shawn_Blah_Blahshawn_Blah_Blah Member Posts: 57
    I've ran into this before, it's pure randomness in my case. I just kept shutting down the computer and reseating the cards and power connectors, then magically it'll all work until I change the position of any of the cards. I loathe moving a card in an old stable rig.
    @shawn_Blah_Blah thanks man, that seems to be the case, there's that sensation that "results not typical"
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 60
    I've got a H97 Anniversary Edition 5 - 1x slots and 1-16x slot. I have a Pentium Unlcoked CPU as well.
    Each motherboard is different H81 Pro BTC and h97 anni. h81pro usually goes by the last slot with a riser in it (far ends) then you plug a display cable in it. H97 Anniversary will go with the last slot unless you plug a X1 or other type of riser in the X16 slot (the middle slot). Then the h97 anni will set the middle riser as the default slot. Your problem maybe slightly different, but I found I had to put a display cable on the 16x slot when using all 6 gpus.