Fastest 280X Speed ever (24MH/s)

adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
Decided to see if its worth overclocking some cards since it seems risky buying new GPUs.

I got a high quality ASUS 280X DC2T and decided how far I can take it. Had to un-undervolt it back to the stock bios.

At 1230/1800 @1.3V and +20 I got 24MH/s.

Will play around and try to lower the voltage as low as possible while it remains stable.

Comments

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    bitcanuck said:

Damn. Now I'll have to play with my diamond 280x to see what it can do.

Ive had a diamond 280x, it was crap... no offence.

The VRM temps kept spiking over 100C. It ran very hot even when undervolted and underclocked.

Gigabyte has crap VRM also.

If you have any ASUS or MSI, try overclocking those.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple Asus 280X cards in my farm. Will have to experiment when I have the time :)
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    +20% in hashrate and + 60% in wattage.
    Only for benching, not for mining.

Jukebox said:

Electricity is cheap.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Jukebox said:

Good point. Maybe I won't do it now. Lol
    Anyway, all my rigs are finally running stable. Haven't had any problems for days now. I think I shouldn't create more sleepless nights for myself. If it works, leave it alone :)
    Measured the power consumption, at the 24MH/s rate is uses about 200 watts, which is about 60 more watts from the undervolted 21.5MH/s state.

Will probably try and get it runing at 23.5Mh/s since at that speed the core only needs to be 1175 and requires less volts.

adaseb said:

Electricity is cheap.

There is not only issue in electricity price.
    1. Higher watts - higher temps - higher chance to burn out VRM on your card.
    2. Higher watts - less cards per one PSU.

Need to find balance. 1230 on GPU is too much for Tahiti.
    Slow down to 1150-1180, some cards can run it on 1.1-1.12 Vgpu
    Jukebox said:

adaseb said:

Electricity is cheap.

There is not only issue in electricity price.
    1. Higher watts - higher temps - higher chance to burn out VRM on your card.
    2. Higher watts - less cards per one PSU.

Need to find balance. 1230 on GPU is too much for Tahiti.
    Slow down to 1150-1180, some cards can run it on 1.1-1.12 Vgpu
    The ASUS 280x has very high quality VRMs. They always run very cool. I wouldn't do this on a Gigabyte or other crap brand.

But I changed the clock down to 1175 with the same memory clock, lets me run it at 1.2V and uses like 30 watt less per GPU.
    adaseb said:

The ASUS 280x has very high quality VRMs. They always run very cool. I wouldn't do this on a Gigabyte or other crap brand.

But I changed the clock down to 1175 with the same memory clock, lets me run it at 1.2V and uses like 30 watt less per GPU.

Cooling is not only question. Current is also question. Little SMD capacitors also degrade on high loads.

I successfully replaced a line of them on VRM, when they start to burn. Card works again.
    It was only one case of VRM damage on hundreds of mining Gigabyte 7970's that I supervise.

One 7970 that I sent into Gigabyte for RMA they repair it by removing those SMD capacitors on both the front and rear of the board.

• o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    adaseb said:

Decided to see if its worth overclocking some cards since it seems risky buying new GPUs.

I got a high quality ASUS 280X DC2T and decided how far I can take it. Had to un-undervolt it back to the stock bios.

Will play around and try to lower the voltage as low as possible while it remains stable.

@adaseb Did you/can you do a benchmark on it?

Yeah 23.5MH/s at 1175/1800 @ 1.2Volts, uses less power then 1230 clock.

Will try undervolting next to get power down.
    edited April 2016
    @adaseb That's not actually anything special for a 280x to benchmark at. They typically come in at 25.

@adaseb That's not actually anything special for a 280x to benchmark at. They typically come in at 25.

Its not a benchmark
  • big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    Ouch without tweaking anything my three gigabyte 280x cards only hash at 56M. More hash would be nice but most my breakers are full of antminer hardware mining btc.
    adaseb said:

Its not a benchmark
    @adaseb Which is why I specifically asked, and you said 'yeah'. Can you please do a proper -M benchmark so we can do a proper comparison?
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

Is this for real ethereum performance or a benchmark with dag at 1GB?
    @kotarius Benchmark being 'ethminer -M -G' which uses a 1Gb DAG. Is used to report and properly compare GPU's in the benchmark thread
    This is the REAL CURRENT SPEED while mining ETH, so the DAG is like 1.4GB and not 1GB.

edited April 2016

adaseb said:

Its not a benchmark
    @adaseb Which is why I specifically asked, and you said 'yeah'. Can you please do a proper -M benchmark so we can do a proper comparison?
    Tried the -M and it was stuck for like 20 minutes at "creating DAG for #0" so I cancelled it, will do it some other day.

By the way, my config is also MURDERING X11 at 13.333MH/s !!!
    @adaseb
    ethminer -M -G --benchmark-warmup 20

( I think you're going to kick ass BTW)
  • oslakoslak Member Posts: 191
    I reflash my toxic stock rom (1150/1600 at 1256vddc). Hashing at 13mh on x11. But temp management and fan control is lacking on nicehash daemon even if values set on the config file of the sgminer. Cant help but get mad at whoever built it.

Went back to ether, easier to mine and consume less power.
  • Masked_ImmortalMasked_Immortal Member Posts: 11
    oslak said:

I reflash my toxic stock rom (1150/1600 at 1256vddc). Hashing at 13mh on x11. But temp management and fan control is lacking on nicehash daemon even if values set on the config file of the sgminer. Cant help but get mad at whoever built it.

Went back to ether, easier to mine and consume less power.

you should edit config.json file
    first change "DisableAMDTempControl": from false to true
    then
    add --gpu-fan to "ExtraLaunchParameters"
  • ed1ed1 Member Posts: 46
    Better check the wattage it's using at the wall when overclocked like that maybe it's not even worth it in the long run, never the less 24MH/s is quite nice.
  • VuQuocHai1VuQuocHai1 Member Posts: 49
    adaseb said:

Quick test on r280 non X - His 1 with SS Memory
    Seem like my normal random pick 280 in bunch outperform your good 280x one .
    Now stable run testing . :)