Forums going away - where will the mining community go?

Comments

• bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
  • rdnkjdirdnkjdi Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Anyone know how to edit votes on a poll in the forum?
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    I have been trying to source GPUs from my production friends in China. It appears prices have gone through the roof and none are available for export.
    Looks like Etheriem mining will be predominantly Chinese in future. Good luck guys.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the good people (and bad ones too) for helping me in my projects here on this forum. This was a cool place. It made me very happy while it lasted. So many people here have so many different skills, yet will still listen, and learn from each other. I like the anarchic lunacy of it all... and it's virtual self policing arena.

Like good music, it all works best when we don't agree. Would the Clash still had been so good if the members hadn't clashed? Lenon and McCartny if they hadn't tried to out-do each other? You guys know the answers.

The Ethereum team have had the worlds best hardware hackers help them develop and refine their software. You all did a fantastic job.

We pass this way but once, like ships in the night, alone but yet together.

Keep Hacking My Friends
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    dlehenky said:

brakab said:
    I voted NO. Sorry, but I've seen too many confrontational, bad-tempered exchanges on the forum from that quarter. That is *not*, as far as I'm concerned, the best new home for the forum. I think @dr_pra 's offer is far and away the better choice. He has shown himself to be very professional, fair, and respectful. I think etherchain.org would be a great place for the forum to land.
    Also voted no because it's just a way for his business to get more attention. Nothing else.

@dr_pra, i will throw some btc if you take on the hosting!
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    bbcoin said:

Hytech2k said:

"Ethereum Forum Closure Poll is RIGGED!" anyone see this post?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4ekss3/ethereum_forum_closure_poll_is_rigged/

Ok let's not get ahead of ourselves hahah but someone asked a very important question.

Why this poll wasn't on the blockchain or had anything to do with Ethereum?

Can you imagine Apple using Google docs to post a poll with unlimited votes regarding their iTunes or something? Would they even bother or would they simply DO something about the issue...

I mean development team with tens or hundreds millions of dollars does a quick, free google doc poll to decide about life of the biggest Ethereum community after they publicliy trolled the shit out of their own users via Reddit.

Yet they would like everybody on the planet think they can change the world...

This is one of the beat posts I have read today on the subject.

Because they are still children,
    They have only just left school, ... Some of them didn't even finish school.
    Some haven't started shaving yet.
    All they have been good at so far is,.. Making a good pitch at the croud funding community, spending other peoples money, oh.... And writing a few lines of code....

THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS SENSE OR LIFE SKILLS!

THEY LACK MATURITY!

@bbcoin yes... powerful observation
  • LagniappeLagniappe Dirty SouthMember Posts: 136 ✭✭
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    This is all entirely missing the point of what the Foundation is trying to do.

Why should any third party be foreced to take on the responsibility of hosting an Ethereum specific forum?

Sure there are sub communities... I can go to Slock.it slack, Digix Slack and gawd knows how many factious other micro-specific platforms and ask the same questions 1000 time over, But for someone wanting to engage with an learn "Ethereum" means that there is an implicit duty for the Ethereum Foundation itself to host such a platform.

This whole argument about shutting down the forum is not about miners having a place to crap on about things. It's about a fundamental knowledge sharing requirement for the whole of the Ethereum platform. And why should that be anybodies responsibility other than the Foundation?
  • retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭

This is all entirely missing the point of what the Foundation is trying to do.

Why should any third party be foreced to take on the responsibility of hosting an Ethereum specific forum?

Sure there are sub communities... I can go to Slock.it slack, Digix Slack and gawd knows how many factious other micro-specific platforms and ask the same questions 1000 time over, But for someone wanting to engage with an learn "Ethereum" means that there is an implicit duty for the Ethereum Foundation itself to host such a platform.

This whole argument about shutting down the forum is not about miners having a place to crap on about things. It's about a fundamental knowledge sharing requirement for the whole of the Ethereum platform. And why should that be anybodies responsibility other than the Foundation?

Don't go bringing logic into this... ;)
  • CryptuxCryptux Member Posts: 118 ✭✭
    an ether Dapp for forums ? maybe in the future.

About gpuShack, voting means nothings, any new registered user with 0 post can vote, they spam it anyways to boost their business.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @o0ragman0o I certainly understand your point, and your frustration. However, hanging your hat on the belief that the Foundation should, willing, even lovingly, support the official forum, and then watch the forum disappear because they don't get it, is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I think our first priority has to be to preserve this forum, this mining community, no matter how that has to happen. Fine, keep duking it out with the Foundation. Perhaps they'll see the light, perhaps not. They currently think they are doing the right "Ethereum" thing by push for a decentralized, community-supported solution to take the place of what they characterize as their own centralized role in all this. Just as Slock.it is telling the future DAO that they need to retain a service provider for a DAO forum, Ethereum is saying it's the community's role to have a forum, if they choose, not "The Ethereum Foundation". The Foundation really has quite a centralized role in the network, up to this point. It looks to me as though the Foundation is trying to reduce that centralization, which was necessary in the beginning, but now is starting to raise governance questions as Ethereum moves forward. I've even wondered why the Foundation gets to say "the network is going to PoS" without the network participants, as a whole, having *any* say in it. That's not the way a decentralized network is supposed to work.
    edited April 2016
    @dlehenky, The Ethereum 'platform' i.e the nodes running consensus and EVM, is what is distributed and decentralised. It provides a near perfect robust and abstracted substrate upon which to build immortal functional organisations of practically any model, distributed, decentralised or otherwise.

Just because the consensus network is distributed and decentralised does not mean the organisations have to be also. Contracts all see and run the same EVM singleton.

So their argument of "Decentralisation of organisations for decentralisation sake" doesn't hold in the face of very reduced practicality, especially when they have no alternative on their own network.

The very nature of information in open networks is 'cluster' into emergent hubs according to natural opportunities. To artificially kill one of those emergent hubs is the pure antithesis of the entire Ethereum ideal.

At a personal level, I find the whole Web 2.0 moneterised social media thing so incredibly offensive, that I've completely avoided it up until learning about Ethereum which I see can have a very real ability to do such "monetary interest in private matters" enormous harm.

It's only since then that I've actually, begrudgingly engaged in social media like Twitter feeds, Reddit and this forum and only for entry into Ethereum development.

So yes, being told to essentially "piss off and join a Facebook group" by the Foundation was certainly the last thing I expected!

Post edited by o0ragman0o on
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    I would advise against migrating forums under anyone affiliated with a pool, it increases centralization, and we may end up with /r/bitcoin style centralization. Core dev team, pool operators, mining companies, and forum administators, all colluding to squeeze out profit from Bitcoin for their own sake, at the expense of the protocol.
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    kotarius said:

I would advise against migrating forums under anyone affiliated with a pool, it increases centralization, and we may end up with /r/bitcoin style centralization. Core dev team, pool operators, mining companies, and forum administators, all colluding to squeeze out profit from Bitcoin for their own sake, at the expense of the protocol.

Oh really and migrating forums under the owner of mining hardware shop is ok?

Would you like to send me some of those 280x's for free then? I will publicly declare you are a great supporter of the protocol.

• dr_pradr_pra Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    @kotarius thats why I would like to have a member of the ethereum foundation to act as an arbitrator in case the community disagrees with they way the forum is run
    dlehenky said:

Just got a PM from the reddit OP asking me to PM him about taking over the forum!

@dlehenky Any further developments on that?
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
  • verjicverjic Member Posts: 143
    edited April 2016
    Why they just don't leave it as it is and just assign few people from the forum as moderators...I'm sure we have on the forum enough high skilled persons, who can moderate the forum. Until now there was nobody taking care of this forum, but it worked very well..... You can say that this forum until now was working as decentralized platform.... Nobody was deleting or managing the forum :)
  • oslakoslak Member Posts: 191
    @dr_pra I see no other forumer here as reputable as @dlehenky to be the arbritrator. I think he can command respect from forumer as well. The only catch is David should agree. Anyone?
    @o0ragman0o I gave him an update on the latest offers to host the site (dr_pra, etc.). He had already seen dr_pra's proposal on reddit and was very positive about it. He asked for my input, and I gave it to him. I haven't heard anything from him since then. From what I can gather, it's all going back to Taylor to consider. I maintain that dr_pra is by far the best choice.
  • JBaETHJBaETH Member Posts: 40
    this is just bullocks
    i protest!!!
  • megahz2megahz2 Member Posts: 36
    A little personal history:
    I am an IT guy who works with many trades, I am not fluent in coding java, cobalt, etc. but when someone is stuck I can figure out something complicated to get over the development hump.
    So I mine, I play with code, I do a lot of different things to satisfy my geekness and bring new things to life.
    I came to these forums to get into mining, there is a lot of good mining info here, mods/self mods/dlehenky? in the mining section where very helpful and I now enjoy mining and making a little buck. since that that is going I had some ideas for a project, I wanted to learn and play with contracts, dapps, and other, but there was not the same volume of information, support or forum feedback for that, I was left to search many different resources "like github, frontier & homestead webpages, google, and other 3rd party places, it became to time consuming and difficult.

The fact that I read that many developers don't interact with the forums and many don't even remember their logon & passwords to the forum is disheartening to say the least. and explains a lot why I haven't perused anything more than mining..
    THE DEVELOPERS AT ALL LEVELS, mining, dapps, contracts, etc SHOULD BE INVOLVED DIRECTLY or indirectly WITH THE FORUM AND PUBLIC COMMUNITY!!

There should be an unbiased central location to go to for all things ethereum. I do not want to search all over the web.
    I like the idea of the ethereum team heading the forum!! Having a third party manage or owning the forum could lead to a bitcointalk situation "and I and others don't like going there!!".

The central location should have ethminer, Go, C++, Python, Java and others developers and users alike interact to help with bidirectional feedback to repair, upgrade, troubleshoot deployment and debug new code for projects. yes, github is the developer side of things but its not as good as central forum with links to needed resources.
    This would also stimulate new user's to get involved with building Hardware, Software, dapps and other New ideas.

If anything "the forum should be expanded" with increased knowledgeable moderators that directly interact with developers to mitigate public flooding developers with stupid and or repeat questions..

Please keep up the good work and do the right thing!!
    Thank You for your time!
    Tony
    @megahz2 Sorry to say, but since you didn't post this on reddit, they'll never see it.
    @hasher No, not really. There's a chance it will move to dr_pra's etherhain.org.
    They told me that there won't be an updated this week. To be honest I am quite disappointed about this delay .
  • rdnkjdirdnkjdi Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    So are they delaying and then going to quietly shut it down?
    @dr_pra perhaps you should put a link or something up for us to bookmark first, so we know where to go in the even that they flip the switch unexpectedly?
    If they would really flip the switch I will open up a forum under forum.etherchain.org but I really hope that the foundation will allow for a smooth transition.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    dr_pra said:

If they would really flip the switch I will open up a forum under forum.etherchain.org but I really hope that the foundation will allow for a smooth transition.

You got my vote on that!
    dr_pra said:

I agree whole heartedly. In any case, thank you dr_pra!