Using powered risers

AbcedarianAbcedarian Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
If using a powered riser , do you need both the 6+2 +6. or can you use just 6+2?
I am almost certain I saw a gpuShack note that all of the slots must be connected, but fud.

Best Answers

Answers

• retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭
    bbcoin said:

Don't use them.
    Last time I tried it caused a short on the motherboard fried my USB3 controller and a hard drive.

hmm...were you using dual PSUs?
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @bbcoin I have over 100 GPUs running on powered riser with zero problems. When one occasionally fails, I've never had that failure affect any other component. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying that I have had a different experience than yours.
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    rether said:

bbcoin said:

Don't use them.
    Last time I tried it caused a short on the motherboard fried my USB3 controller and a hard drive.

hmm...were you using dual PSUs?
    Nope.

@dlehenky that PSU failed soon after. It doesn't change the fact that the short happened as soon as I plugged in the extra molex.
    Post edited by bbcoin on
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    That gpuShack post is about people using molex-to-pcie-power, and melting the connections due to resistance. It is not meant to give people advice about powered vs unpowered risers. That guide is for gamers, not miners.
  • urayuray indonesiaMember Posts: 37
    its all about power usage

6 pin is by requirement should be able to provide 6.25 DC Amp, for 12V its means 75W and 8 pin should provides 12.5 DC Amp, which is 150W, then 75+150 = 225W is provided to your gpu using 6 + 8 , for 8+8 it will be 300W

if your gpu use more than 225W and you are using 6+8, then gpu will take more power from PCIe slot which is rated at max 25W, so with (6 + 8 + PCIe powered) you have maximum of 250W and max of 325W for (8 + 8 + PCIe powered)

in the case of powered riser, it just to move that 25W power which should be taken from motherboard to your PSU directly, so your motherboard has extra 25W unused for other thing

the case with shorted motherboard with powered riser connected is probably because the power from PCIe riser come to motherboard via GPU PCIe slot, which could happen if there are power coming through PCIe riser power cable but your gpu is somehow can't turn on or dead or u are using multiple PSU for GPU and MB, then the electric will flow back to your motherboard via GPU<->MB socket ( could be because of GPU's PSU is on but MB's PSU is off in case of multiple PSU )

the difference between 6 pin and 8 pin is only on ground cable, 8 pin has two more ground wiring, if you are sure that the gpu only use 150W then 2x 6 pin without powered PCIe and without 2 extra pins from 8 pin cable is enough to make ur gpu run