Power Usage Mining Dagger-Hashimoto?

PansyfaustPansyfaust Member Posts: 29
Just a quick question about the level of GPU usage and power consumption used for mining Ether? Anybody have any TDP numbers they can share for AMD Tahiti cards? So is a 280X mining at 180W or so, or is it closer to it's max of 250w?

Comments

• farwarefarware Member Posts: 116
    Closer to 210w ..

• MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @Pansyfaust Here are numbers that I've recorded using a Kill-A-Watt for my 3 mining rigs:

MINER-1
    -----------------------
    PSU #1 | Corsair RM850 (80 Plus Gold) | 3 x 280X | MOBO + CPU + 8GB RAM | 550 watts
    PSU #2 | Corsair RM850 (80 Plus Gold) | 3 x 280X | 490 watts

MINER-2
    -----------------------
    PSU #1 | EVGA 850W SuperNova GS (80 Plus Gold) | 2 x 280X | 1 x 270 | MOBO + CPU + 8GB RAM | 483 watts
    PSU #2 | EVGA 850W SuperNova GS (80 Plus Gold) | 3 x 280X | 460 watts

MINER-3
    -----------------------
    PSU #1 | CoolerMaster RS-850-EMBA (equivalent of 80 Plus Silver) | 2 x 280X | 1 x 270 | MOBO + CPU + 8GB RAM | 504 watts
    PSU #2 | Sentey 750W MBP750-HS (80 Plus Bronze) | 2 x 280X | 1 x 270 | 419 watts

14 of my 15 280X cards are PowerColors. They've been flashed with bioses that set core voltage to 1.037. At that voltage:

-I'm able to run 13 of 14 of those cards at 1050 MHz core clock
    -I run the memory on all 280X at 1350 MHz
    -They all average 24.5 - 25+ MH/s

With those settings, the cards appear to pull between 153 - 163 watts at the wall depending on the efficiency of the PSU.

Assuming ~90% efficiency that means internally the cards are pulling between 137 - 147 watts.
    I'm wondering whether undervolting can lead to stale packets. You complained about stale ones right? We know it can decrease stability. Ill prob test that this week
    farware said:

I'm wondering whether undervolting can lead to stale packets. You complained about stale ones right? We know it can decrease stability. Ill prob test that this week

Don't think so. I think the stales were being caused by the C++ eth client. I made the switch to the latest dev build of Geth last night and successfully mined 6 blocks in 12 hours. Granted, that is 2x the rate I should be mining, so I'm sure it will even out.

So, the take away is that I think the C++ eth client may have major issues when it comes to serving as a mining node. I have not heard or read of anyone else using it in that way since it appears as though literally everybody uses Geth.
    Eth is used by 0.1% https://etherchain.org/statistics/basic

I am using Geth 1.3 and it works fine. Its hotfix 3 they released some time ago, not sure why people use 1.2 or 1.2.2 still but theres not even an issue if you use 1.1, they all work just fine
    farware said:

Eth is used by 0.1% https://etherchain.org/statistics/basic

I am using Geth 1.3 and it works fine. Its hotfix 3 they released some time ago, not sure why people use 1.2 or 1.2.2 still but theres not even an issue if you use 1.1, they all work just fine

Well, the only problem is you cannot import a C++ eth account/wallet into Geth. That's actually a MAJOR issue. I currently have a couple hundred Eth sitting in my C++ eth acount that I guess I'll have to just send to my new Geth account. :neutral:
  • stingraystingray Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Could somebody please shed some light on this.

I do have a Ethereum rig
    • Mobo HT-81Pro
    • Intel Celeron
    • 32GB SSD
    • 8GB RAM
    • 2 Sapphire R9 280x Vapor-X
    • 1 ASUS R9 280x
    running of a CoolerMaster 1000W.
    Now my Kill-a-Watt like tools tells PSU me it is consuming 1466 Watt!!!

Q1: How would a 1000W PSU ne able to deliver that?
    Q2: Those R9 280x should be max 300W each, shouldn't they.

I really appreciate any help on this. I will try another Kill-a-Watt but I have tested mine with other HW and it seemed OK.

Thanks guys