performance of various hardware

gonzokawasakigonzokawasaki LondonMember Posts: 11
I ran mining on 3 different machines for a couple of days. An apple Macbook pro early 2012 intel i5 + 4 gigs ram, a desktop ROG rampage gene iv custom build machine with i7 + 8 gigs ram, and a lenovo laptop AMD 64 with 8 gigs. (sorry dont have exact specs but will get them if ppl interested)

The AMD out performed both other machines quite convincingly. This laptop was the cheaper of the 3 machines. I am guessing this is down to the AMD processor? Has anyone else noticed a difference in the mining rates on different machines?

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual mod London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    The answer would be an academical one born out of curiosity - the mining algo is just a placeholder :)

Cheers!
  • EicosapentaenoicEicosapentaenoic Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2014
    I just made a post about something similar. I'd guess that the AMD has a higher [clock-speed]*[#of cores]. CPU is the most important, and ram is only important if you have too little, but it's unlikely you'll have too little because you want a little more than 512Mb of ram per thread, assuming you're not using the computer for anything else.
  • gonzokawasakigonzokawasaki LondonMember Posts: 11
    ok interesting so this isnt actually the real mining algo?
  • StephanTualStephanTual mod London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    No, the algo hasn't been decided on yet. The purpose of the proof of concept is an early exploration of smart contracts and getting the developer community involved very early on.