Need advices about mining rig (3000 USD)

raminerraminer Member Posts: 22
Hy
I want to join this community to mine Ethereum,
Now I have 3000 usd and I want to get a miner rig from 6 cards (r9 390)
What motherboard model can support 6 cards?
Power supply what type?
Do I need something else
thank you

Comments

• DES_MXDES_MX Member Posts: 13
    You're too late to break even, unless price soars
  • raminerraminer Member Posts: 22
    Really, I do believe that with 150 mh/s and considering difficulty chart, the ROI can be reached by 3 months
    https://etherscan.io/charts/difficulty

The online calculator calculates 3 months ahead with today's difficulty. Difficulty has risen over 5% daily last days, a month this is 4.32x incrase; even if it increases at 2% daily, its 1.81x increase per month. re-do the math
    Thank you.
    I do believe also that with difficulty increasing comes the price rising of Ethereum ...
    But on topic - H61Pro BTC will do the trick. Get 2x 1KW PSU (I have Corsair RM1000 series), plug both PSU to a power extender with a I/O switch, one PSU to mobo, another one short circuit green and black wire, so it will also turn on once you flip the main extender I/O switch. CPU wise G1610/1620 does the trick, dual core helps a lot with simple OS performance. Ram wise anything 4GB+ will work. I advise small SSD for storage for lighning fast boot. set your mobo to start on AC Power in BIOS (so it autostarts once power is fed), and set later the miner .bat commands to autorun. first the proxy, then the miner, with 5 sec delay. Et voila
    Thank you DES_MX very much....
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    raminer said:

Thank you.
    I do believe also that with difficulty increasing comes the price rising of Ethereum ...

That's not always the case. Look what happened with BTC in 2014. Price went down, difficulty went up.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    raminer said:

Thank you.

Other way around, price effects difficulty. ATM difficulty is rising fast because price rose fast last month and so everyone went out and built rigs...
  • mtzjonmtzjon Member Posts: 17

raminer said:

Thank you.

Other way around, price effects difficulty. ATM difficulty is rising fast because price rose fast last month and so everyone went out and built rigs...
    but as the dag file rises above 3gb wont majority of cards become unusable thus bringing difficulty increase slow down and maybe reverse? that's why im thinking the 4th gen gpus is the way forward?
    @mtzjon, not for years.

If the DAG gets to 3 Gb, network hashrate and difficulty will be obliterated until everyone transitions to 4Gb and 8Gb GPU's. It will never get to the stage of CPU mining

But if Ethereum hasn't transitioned over to PoS by then, then it may have far bigger problems going on.
  • iamkonyiamkony Member Posts: 49
    I'm planning on ordering 5x R9 380s in a few days, why is PoS (Proof of Stake?) bad? I get the process of mining but the little details behind that confuse the hell outta me.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @iamkony Proof of Stake is intended to replace Proof of Work. "Mining" is participating in the PoW network, so if/when Ethereum network transitions to PoS, there will be no more mining.
  • iamkonyiamkony Member Posts: 49
    I'm reading about PoS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof-of-stake) and I don't really get why it doesn't benefit the miners.

From my understanding, PoS means showing proof that you "own" these coins and the only way to get them is to purchase on an exchange them once mining isn't an option.

But why would they do that? Why remove the mining aspect? That's what I don't get.
    @iamkony it doesn't benefit miners because there are no miners. People still think a trust-based system like PoS or permissions blockchain can replace PoW... why, I can not contemplate.
    @iamkony, Ethereum was always intended to be POS, the problem is that there is no viable POS algorythm and some have said that such an alog is either impossible or intrinsically flawed and insecure.

The basic purpose of any blockchain algo is to waste time. More specifically waste a statistically derived period of time determined by the block time target of the protocol. PoW do it by computational hide and seek which is just a way for geeks not quite smart enough to work at CERN, to say "We can waste twice as much electricity as the LHC!". And that's probably not the kind of thing you want to be claiming in this day and age of climate change. So PoW == 'bad'

The reason blockchains need to waste time is so all the participating nodes have a fairly good chance of actually seeing what everyone else is seeing, and then being able to agree on that.

I haven't studied other PoS algos, but they apparently suffer the misnomer of not actually having anything at stake and so suffer real or theoretical security vulnerabilities. In short, how do you get all those nodes who are desperate for the next block to honestly just hang around a little while?

Ethereum's Casper PoS, does actually take staking seriously, you can loose money if your wrong. It is a betting system where bets are placed on the 'history' of blocks rather than the future. As all nodes will usually be able to see that history, then it's all a pretty sure bet and everyone gets paid out something like 10% per year. Unless you're somehow wrong or cheating, in which case your stake gets nicked and most of it given to the nark.

But notice there's no actual mechanism for block times here? PoS is not so reliant upon them and Casper architect Vlad Zamfir has said that Casper PoS block times could even be down to 1s. Though it means that each PoS validator can't make sure bets.

Given the difficulties of PoS, Vitalik has hinted that there will be a shared system of PoW for block timing and PoS for validation until PoS has proven itself. I think most here who have followed PoS's developments would agree this pushes back the expected amount of time for PoW mining. This extension also changes the economics of ASIC resistance and subsequent re-centralization of the network (like pools haven't done that already though?)
    edited April 2016
    @o0ragman0o Further to that, it would not surprise me at all if ASICs for ethash were in develooment. Ethash, hillariously, would benefit significantly from a shared memory and parrallel processing model. The design of dagger is memory hard, but not AT ALL sequentially memory hard. In truth, the memory hard nature is frankly dumb/pointless and provides no resistance to specialized hardware, although it does make FPGAs with low memory useless.

If I could clearly foresee casper pos being pushed back, you can bet others did too.
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @o0ragman0o
    So, if i understood correctly, decentralizers will be eventually centralized. No way out?
    Plus, humans cannot do PoS at 1s, so humans can participate in some kind of PoS pool with their funds/ethers.
    PoS pool then basically becomes a Bank equivalent and we get first 10%, then 5%, then 0.1% on our 'deposit'.
    Not a pretty picture...reminds me of something current.
    Good old times, but when I first opened an online trading account, they (Datek=Ameritrade) paid 4.7% on deposited cash; it sounds crazy high now.
    edited April 2016
    @Biodom and, it's not a real incentive to "vote correctly", or prevent chain forking. If the potential ecconomic loss is only a tiny tiny subset of the marketcap, then there will be scenarios where forking a chain to double spend would be worthwhile. PoW keeps the cost of an attack partially external to the network, and chain forking is prevented by pure ecconomic incentive, where you will always lose more by forking the chain then by simply being honest. To fork bitcoin, you have to have as much hashing power as the entire rest of the network (insane cost, and nearly impossible to achieve). To fork a PoS network, you can 1> attack other stakers to kick them off the network 2> simply control a reasonable portion of the currency (relatively low cost, and certainly possible).
    work said:

If I could clearly foresee casper pos being pushed back, you can bet others did too.

Yeah, don't think you're the only prophet here... ;)
    Biodom said:

@o0ragman0o
    So, if i understood correctly, decentralizers will be eventually centralized. No way out?

Vitalik and the devs have made some pretty astounding efforts to prevent Ethereum following Bitcoin's PoW centralization and energy patterns. Note that such a pattern was predicted in Satoshi's Bitcoin whitepaper from the beginning, so there's really no one else to blame. It's just in PoW nature to centralize.
    Biodom said:

Plus, humans cannot do PoS at 1s, so humans can participate in some kind of PoS pool with their funds/ethers.
    PoS pool then basically becomes a Bank equivalent and we get first 10%, then 5%, then 0.1% on our 'deposit'.
    Not a pretty picture...reminds me of something current.

I know, it's pretty tame compared to what we've got now, but given that Ethereum is an inflationary currency (Bitcoin is deflationary), you need to cap that inflation somehow and make it boring.