Pci-e riser fried my gpu?

rismondorismondo Member Posts: 58
Hi I bought pci riser 1x16, with usb and that molex conector I used to mine on 7950 and now I added r9 290, i put it on pcie 16 slot and i put after 7950 on prie riser, and i boot my pc and it didnt start. Tried only with r9 and it work normally, tried than with 7950 didnt work, computer didnt even start, fans of cpu, gpu didnt even start. Tried to boot if few times and reset motherboard move in and out battery. Nothing worked. And I tested it then with some other 600w gpu only r7950( I had that cpu before on that card and worked all well, after i bought golden cuz i was getting more gpus) and start computer and gpu went in flames. And now I am afraid if I buy new ones they will burn too. It stoped wroking after I used pci-e riser. Do I even need to have that molex conector in if I only use 3 cards?

I did once try just one gpu on that riser and it worked all ok. I have no idea why it burnt and first off why didnt it even boot. Temps were always 70 C, all stable and it just burn in flames and smoke.

Comments

• akropissakropiss Member Posts: 64
    wow that's unfortunate, were they USB risers or the ribbon kind with shabby looking blue tape? it could also be the motherboard, some have molex connectors on the board for the pcie + molex on the riser itself, i dont own such a set up so, maybe it was the power supply? if it isn't a top quality unit, especially if you start daisy-chaining them, you could run into some electrical problems. My best guess is low quality risers.
  • rismondorismondo Member Posts: 58
    edited March 2016
    akropiss said:

wow that's unfortunate, were they USB risers or the ribbon kind with shabby looking blue tape? it could also be the motherboard, some have molex connectors on the board for the pcie + molex on the riser itself, i dont own such a set up so, maybe it was the power supply? if it isn't a top quality unit, especially if you start daisy-chaining them, you could run into some electrical problems. My best guess is low quality risers.

they were this ones : http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-PCI-Express-1x-to-16x-Extender-Riser-Adapter-Sets-for-Botcoin-/201502956995
    Well at least they look almost same, just color is a of slot is blue on mine and that one is black.
    I have Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ PSU and everything was just unbootle when I connected both gpus for first time and after that hd 7950 stopped working. I've heard that if you have 2-3 pci risers u do not even need to power them, only if you have like 5-6. Is that correct? Maybe there went too much powerin and ruined all or god knows what.

And just to be sure, I can put this pci riser into x16(4x)(have dual gpu slots one is x16 and one x16(4x) ) and x1. Correct?
    Post edited by rismondo on
  • akropissakropiss Member Posts: 64
    personally I don't have any risers just yet, but i have some on the way, the same kind as you showed me, I have heard different things about powered vs unpowered risers, that its unnecessary or it's extremely necessary but only for hashrates, nothing to do with safety or stability.

it could also be the card itself, she got old, tired, burned out, maybe the 6-pin wasn't properly attached. I mean from what you describe you did everything fine, so my best bet is a hardware failure somewhere down the line.

it could be that you had a defective riser, or something else like, coming inside from having a cigarette on a cold day, forgetting to touch something metallic and having a static charge, I've lost a motherboard and CPU to this once, at least i think i did.

as for the compatibility, yes, they should work in the short pcie slots or even the full sized ones with a bunch of space left over, just not a standard pci slot which looks like a pcie slot but usually facing the other way.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Basically you need to test every pin of the riser to make sure some aren't shorted together. Out of 20 risers, I had 1 which had some pins shorted. Good that I checked before plugging it in.

edited April 2016
    I will get smth like ati radeon 9200 which cost 3€ and I will test it on risers..Its best to buy that card than to fry new one. But those olde ones dont even have pci-e power cable lol :D , it should still be ok. Cables should be fine
    I guess it was PCI riser, I had 2, tried with one, computer booted, tried with another pci riser computer didnt boot on same slot. And a gpu fried again, no boot on comp. Didnt work back when I switched to previus riser.
    (it was gpu for test, my old ati 2900xt i found somewhere stored :D , luckly I tried else I might have fried new gpu again lol )
  • gorgamingorgamin Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2016
    Did you use 2x PSUs on the same system? Never put two PSUs on the same system. It will catch fire.

The USB riser power as well as the 6pin/8pin power connectors have to be powered from the SAME PSU. The Motherboard should also be powered from the SAME PSU. 1x PSU per rig.

Computer PSUs are Switched mode power supplies.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply;

They operate by frequently toggling between full-on and full-off. The output voltage is regulated by spending more or less time in the on-state. If load increases, the voltage drops and the feedback controller reacts accordingly.

When two units are installed in parallel, two controllers are hard at work to maintain a stable voltage, but they are unaware of one another. As a result, they may enter a hysteresis loop by consistently overshooting their target. Alternatively, one unit might try to lower the output voltage but fail, because his partner is pushing the output in the other direction.

Hence FIRE.

1x PSU per system, always. If its not enough, buy a bigger PSU.
    Post edited by gorgamin on
    it was one psu, it was just bad pci riser, i later noticed it was burned somewhere..
  • gorgamingorgamin Member Posts: 18
    rismondo said:

it was one psu, it was just bad pci riser, i later noticed it was burned somewhere..

Ah I see. Can I ask if you can take a pic of it (if you still have it) Want to make a note of it to other people on the Ethermining reddit. Will go through all the pins and check for shorts. Thank you for posting your findings here. Happy mining and to the moon!
  • acaciosc1acaciosc1 Member Posts: 9
    gorgamin said:

rismondo said:

Ah I see. Can I ask if you can take a pic of it (if you still have it) Want to make a note of it to other people on the Ethermining reddit. Will go through all the pins and check for shorts. Thank you for posting your findings here. Happy mining and to the moon!

3 (yes, THREE!!) USB powered risers of mine burned. I bought them at ebay (from a seller called "sweetsales", or something like that). All I did was plug them into 4 graphics cards (more than 4 aren't even recognized, and above 4g memory makes the BIOS crash, weirdly) and increase the TDP to its maximum level of both my RX 470s (3) and RX 480 (1). I guess it's due to a not-so-thick 12v wire. Worst of all is that my PC from now on is crashing completely whenever I start mining... I hope I haven't fried anything else! But I won't invest in GPU mining rigs anymore!!!