Lubricating GPU fans (Windforce)

adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
Anyone here have the Windforce Gigabyte fans? Did you get any success in lubricating them?

Anyway to seperate the blade from the bearing or do you have to drill a hole in the middle and lube it that way.

I am sure most that have these Windforce models have at least one fan that's drying, especially the one on the left.

Comments

• retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭
    I can't speak to those fans specifically but usually it requires removing the fans (and usually the heatsink assembly) and there will be either a sticker or a rubber plug on the underside of the fan. Once removed you can lubricate them from there. Some could be sealed bearings though in which case when they die they are done for good and need replaced.
  • ericeric Member Posts: 76
    Is it sealed like this asus fan? Any tips? I cant snap it like the sapphire fans

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I think most GPU fans are sealed. The ASUS above is sealed for sure because I have one similar.

On you tube people put in oil thru the centre between the fan blade and hub and some drill a hole in the centre to reach the bearings.
    thanks i will try to drill a small hole at the back
    I think you need to drill the hole in the front
  • highwalkerhighwalker Member Posts: 7
    adaseb said:

I think you need to drill the hole in the front

front wouldn't make sense, the fan's shaft starts from the front and goes to the back in the bearing. The opening should be to the back and drip the oil in there.
    So with reference fans its usually in the front?
  • retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭
    I don't recommend drilling the fan. Drilling it will leave tiny particles from the plastic casing inside and it will chew up what's left of that fan bearings quickly. Also the lubricant will not stay inside the fan when it's spinning at high RPM- you don't want oil flying out onto other components. Ask me how I know these things... ;)

Your best bet is to remove the fan and see if there is access in the back. There's usually a sticker covering a plastic or rubber plug.

Here's a random youtube video showing what it might look like:

That asus fan is sealed front n back like the ones in sapphire.

But the good thing about sapphire is that you can snap it.

I just dont know about the asus fan.
  • ddxxbbddxxbb Member Posts: 18
    I have the gigabyte windforce fan's, they are non-serviceable with no hole in the back.
  • jstefanopjstefanop Member Posts: 43
    Fans on sapphire cards just "pop" off (you have to be careful otherwise you'll snap the whole assembly), then just drip some oil in the bearing and pop it back on...ive saved dozens of fans this way. I have done this on XFX cards as well...cant vouch for others.
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    adaseb said:

Anyway to seperate the blade from the bearing or do you have to drill a hole in the middle and lube it that way.

ddxxbb said:

I have the gigabyte windforce fan's, they are non-serviceable with no hole in the back.

There's another way to do a service.

Put the soft ropes under each blade of fan, move them close to center of fan, collect ends of ropes in one bunch and pull it up.

fan.jpg 84.9K
  • VuQuocHai1VuQuocHai1 Member Posts: 49
    For fun only - my boy so naughty that time lol
    _
    Now I can pull them out with my bare hands dont even need a wire but dont buy Gigabyte cards - they suck as the money we pay for them .
  • patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    I use WD40 to lubricate the fans - it helps!
    patrik2 said:

I use WD40 to lubricate the fans - it helps!

For these dusty heat job i used to : Rp7 then Wd 4 then Chesterton 629 plus some used Motul 300v from my bike - fan never hang 'till its motor died by heat or card died lol .
    Thanks for posting the video. Will try it sometime.
    edited April 2016
    @VuQuocHai1

Is that possible for asus fans?

I just cleaned & oiled my sapphire last night except for the asus
    eric said:

@VuQuocHai1

Can I see your asus bottom ?
    If they seal with no hole at the back mean drill one hole is your only option ,you're risking snap this type ( broken blade , damage the motor'wire ,BROKEN motor shaft ... etc )cause they used bigger , tighter secure lock .

Sorry for my bad english .
  • TeezyTeezy Member Posts: 5
    I drilled "service holes" to my gigabyte windforce fans and used 10w40 motor oil. ;)

Teezy said:

I drilled "service holes" to my gigabyte windforce fans and used 10w40 motor oil. ;)

The fan shaft hottest positon and u drilled 1 hole neat it ,u going to make the shaft weaker and bring more dust into the wires and may make them hotter , this kind of fan my way easier .
  • TeezyTeezy Member Posts: 5

Teezy said:

The fan shaft hottest positon and u drilled 1 hole neat it ,u going to make the shaft weaker and bring more dust into the wires and may make them hotter , this kind of fan my way easier .
    Im not a fan expert, this was just a quick fix 3 months ago. Before they was really sticky and one fan didnt spin at all.

@VuQuocHai1, khun pasa thai dai mai (^_^) Thanks for posting a good educational video. I am not dis-assembly the fans, just spray more WD40 inside.
    I don't think using motor oil or WD40 is smart, WD40 will dry out and motor oil is too thick and the fan will have trouble spinning when cold.
    @adaseb but it worked fine for me during past 3 years. Any decent oil is fine
    patrik2 said:

@VuQuocHai1, khun pasa thai dai mai (^_^) Thanks for posting a good educational video. I am not dis-assembly the fans, just spray more WD40 inside.

Welcome brother , that was long time ago - BTC mining age .
    Youre one thai guy ,I used to play dota 2 with Thai guys .
    @VuQuocHai1 I am not a Thai, but ผมมีหัวใจไทย So, have a happy Songkran next week! _/ \_
    I have the exact same ASUS 280X fan as you pictured above and I tried taking it out with strings like the Gigabyte but its not possible, I tried pulling and pulling and wouldn't go.

So I drilled a hole in the back to lubricate it.

eric said:

@VuQuocHai1

Can I see your asus bottom ?
    If they seal with no hole at the back mean drill one hole is your only option ,you're risking snap this type ( broken blade , damage the motor'wire ,BROKEN motor shaft ... etc )cause they used bigger , tighter secure lock .

Sorry for my bad english .
    adaseb said:

I have the exact same ASUS 280X fan as you pictured above and I tried taking it out with strings like the Gigabyte but its not possible, I tried pulling and pulling and wouldn't go.

So I drilled a hole in the back to lubricate it.

Told you man and you still try to pull ha ha- luck your fan not broken . Another way is : use 1 sharp screw with philip head and slowly dive her in back center fan still it touch the shaft .
    I used a drill, it took a while because I needed to drill around it to find the hub it goes inside. Very annoying. Gigabyte was so much easier.

• shawn_Blah_Blahshawn_Blah_Blah Member Posts: 57
    I just pop the top off, once you get good at it, it's no problem I don't break any fans.