Can I slow down my GPU?

FrankTheBankFrankTheBank Member Posts: 18
edited March 2016 in Mining
I have a R9 200 card on Win10. It's hashing OK using the Ethminer.exe but it runs quite hot. Is there a way to tell the card to run at say 80% to maybe keep it cooler? Its fun making the Ether, but I don't want to cook my card.
Thanks!
Post edited by FrankTheBank on

Comments

• nanomonanomo Member Posts: 3
    try msi afterburner
  • GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    Reduce --cl-global-work. I.e. 512 or 1024. Of course your hashrate will go down, but temp should, too.
  • DiscoveryDiscovery Member Posts: 21
    R9 cards can work continuously at 95C, so you can mine safely at full speed. You can't downclock your GPU if you have 290 series except reducing TDP to -30 to -50% using CCC or MSI AfterBurner or any other OC tool.
  • CryptuxCryptux Member Posts: 118 ✭✭
    @Discovery 95c is in danger zone for 24/7 mining, anything below 80c is good, below 70c is the best.
  • DiscoveryDiscovery Member Posts: 21
    I disagree. There is no evidence for your claim. AMD says it can work 10 years at full load. The card is intended to work at 95C under load. There are no electrolytic capacitors to dry out. No risk at all. Only one disadvantage is lower efficiency of chip, so high temp results in higher power draw of the chip and lower power draw of the fan at the same frequencies. Of course, 95C is limiting temp, so keeping temp below makes room for outside temperature change, etc. but not danger zone. This is my opinion, I am running 290X cards 24/7 two years at 90+C. No failed card till now.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @discovery Why do you say you can't downclock a 290? I can turn mine down to 900/900 core/mem or lower if I want...

Running a card close to 95C will cause throttling, and you'll be getting a lot less performance then you would out of a cooler GPU.
  • FrankTheBankFrankTheBank Member Posts: 18
    Hey thanks for the responses. I don't think 95C is a good temp to hold for long periods. When mining with my card, it immediately goes to 74C. Today after 3hrs it must have gone higher because the screen was frozen, had to reboot.
    I peeked in the Radeon Settings software (v15.12) and under Gaming->Global Overdrive it lets me adjust the GPU & Memory clocks. Currently at 1120/1400. I don't know if these need to be maintained at a certain ratio when changed. But I think these settings are ignored when running Ethminer.exe because even after lowering them, the temps still climb quickly. Maybe I just have a poorly ventilated case. Is it better to remove the case cover?
    Genoil, your command line code interests me. I guess only 512 and 1024 are valid? What is the default value?
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @FrankTheBank if you are running in a case instead of open air, you will almost certainly have heat issues.

Any numeric value is valid for global work. 512 and 1024 are lower then default.
  • wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Im using 5 R9 380x's... since ETH's algo (Dagger-Hashminto) is a memory intensive function, the VRAM is the bottleneck. Therefore I was able to slow all my cards down from 1040 MHz to 960 MHz while not dropping a single hash per second. In the process I also shed 4 degrees C and like 30 watts per card...
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭

Im using 5 R9 380x's... since ETH's algo (Dagger-Hashminto) is a memory intensive function, the VRAM is the bottleneck. Therefore I was able to slow all my cards down from 1040 MHz to 960 MHz while not dropping a single hash per second. In the process I also shed 4 degrees C and like 30 watts per card...

how how? :) please let us know!!