Eth Mining - Am I to late to the game?

demannudemannu Member Posts: 11
Have just discovered this crpto currency.. I have access to free power but only for a modest build.. somewhere in the region of 3x 390x or 5x 390's

Am I to late to the game? Is it still profitable for a new comer with a modest build? Calculators say I will be profitable but I would rather hear from someone who is currently mining and has some experience with it?

Are the above cards going to give me a quick ROI or would could someone suggest something cheaper that will process well?

All useful information is much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Thanks,

DT

Comments

• dittoditto Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Will Ethereum reach $100? Probably!
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    If you have free power it is never too late. Buy the latest and most popular GPU's, etc and the depreciation will not be much. So you only need to recover, say, 25% of capital outlay... That should not take long.
  • demannudemannu Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2016
    ethfan said:

If you have free power it is never too late. Buy the latest and most popular GPU's, etc and the depreciation will not be much. So you only need to recover, say, 25% of capital outlay... That should not take long.

So sell the GPU's off at roughly 25% off, cash in and reinvest into new tech as it becomes available?
  • anonymous95anonymous95 Member Posts: 248
    Isnt too late.
    And how to get free power?
  • demannudemannu Member Posts: 11

Isnt too late.

I'm allowed to add a small amount of equipment to a data center I manage, nothing large scale though.

Free power, internet, cooling and clean redundant power! :)

There's lots of conflicting but very convincing arguments on both sides that it is/isn't going to be profitable in the foreseeable future.

Are you able to elaborate some more on why it isn't to late?
  • LagniappeLagniappe Dirty SouthMember Posts: 136 ✭✭

Isnt too late.

Well. Ricky from trailer park boys wired it up straight from his neighbors power pole. You could always try that route
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Buy second hand GPUs instead of new. Like 7950/7970
  • VolodathVolodath Member Posts: 12
    The responses of the people here should be enough to give you a sense of what is going on.

Eth doesn't have a supply problem. It has a demand problem. The only thing that makes it different than BTC (in terms of practical application) are the smart contracts and Dapps.

Show me functional, easy to setup, marketable smart contracts and Dapps and I'll show you the success of Ethereum. If those things don't materialize, it'll be a long con Pump & Dump. To the Moon!