where is the content?

I am very non-technical so I apologize in advance if I am wildly misunderstanding the way this might work. Hopefully someone will enlighten me.

I would like to know if content will be saved within a contract. I think Vitalik mentioned something like this. Could it be like a digital store? Say I make a short digital film. Can I store the film within the network and have it released iteratively and automatically to those who pay the contract to release it? If not, how will this network interface with external content?

Comments

• Jam10oJam10o Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    You *can* store content in contracts, but something like a film would be impractical (and would take ages to "upload" or "download"). What Vitalik mentioned was using the blockchain as (kind of...) an index to verify files that are stored externally, ie, in a torrent.

The download is stored in pieces externally, when you download it, you can check the hash in the memory of a contract, and build it up into the full file, in a secure way. This means A) redundancy, and B) security for any file that uses the system.
  • xj74xj74 Member Posts: 4
    Ok, thank you Jam10o. That is very clear.
  • gonzokawasakigonzokawasaki LondonMember Posts: 11
    i thought of this as being more like an encryption key that a contract can issue enabling someone to access locked content.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Both Jam10o and gonzokawasaki, binary content should be stored off-chain using technologies such as MaidSafe, bitcloud, TAHOE-LFAS, bittorrent, etc, with Ethereum as the 'logic layer' distributing and managing access to that content.