Wow! Two Major Announcements on the Ethereum BLOG

dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Mining
https://blog.ethereum.org

1. Microsoft and Consensus have partnered to deliver Solidity compiler support in Visual Studio.
2. Ethereum is offering a BOUNTY for a developer or team to produce an open source POOL server that rivals current property offering. The goal is to promote decentralization of the current network mining situation.

Comments

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Can you please explain in simple terms what this means exactly?

1) Does it mean ETH mining programming will be available in Microsoft Visual Studio developer applications?

2) So they want to produce a Pool on the blockchain? So Dwarfpool doesn't have 50% of the hashrate?
  • miningpoolhubminingpoolhub Member Posts: 308 ✭✭
    adaseb said:

Can you please explain in simple terms what this means exactly?

1) Does it mean ETH mining programming will be available in Microsoft Visual Studio developer applications?

2) So they want to produce a Pool on the blockchain? So Dwarfpool doesn't have 50% of the hashrate?

@adaseb
    No. It's not mining related news.

Solidity is Ethereum app's language, and this language is supported by Visual Studio. Which is good for developers not miners.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @miningpoolhub Did you even read the BLOG? These are TWO, SEPARATE announcements. The second one is NOTHING BUT ABOUT MINING! What a totally uninformed comments, from a pool operator, no less.
    @adaseb Solidity is the compiler for Ethereum's smart contracts, it has nothing to do with mining per se, other than it's a big name plus for Ethereum and the value of ETH.

All pools are "on the blockchain". What do you suppose we are mining? The are saying they want to encourage open source pool software to reduce the cost/effort of launching pools. The goal being more, smaller pools, instead of pools the size of dwarfpool.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    dlehenky said:

@miningpoolhub Did you even read the BLOG? These are TWO, SEPARATE announcements. The second one is NOTHING BUT ABOUT MINING! What a totally uninformed comments, from a pool operator, no less.

I think @miningpoolhub was only responding to #1, but didn't remove #2. @miningpoolhub is obviously aware of what these announcements mean, since they made a long reddit post regarding #2.
    @work Well, #1 is mining-related, given the potential positive impact on ETH value. That helps us all, no?
    @dlehenky heh, maybe. I have my own somewhat unpopular opinions on non-PoW trust based blockchains (PoS is, ultimately, trust-based security, not economically derived security), and 0 faith is the Ethereum product future. I'm here to mine and sell for BTC during price spikes, and I've cashed in on some good Eth shorts too. The news #1 is equally relevent to Counterparty or Expanse markets (and maybe more so, because their marketcaps aren't already at such insane levels).
  • miningpoolhubminingpoolhub Member Posts: 308 ✭✭
    dlehenky said:

@dlehenky Sorry I forgot to delete #2. As @work already mentioned, we already made a post at reddit to participate #2 project.
    Sorry I was sleepy at that time and I made mistake. I didn't finish my post clearly.

Maybe #1 is mining related issue, but I didn't think it directly impacts mining world since it's just technical news for solidity developers. I agree that ETH price would be affected.

Sorry again and thank you.
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Could this be a sign that POW may be around longer than we think? Would seem like a waste of time and money to pay a bounty for programmers to develope software that would only be operational for a few months.
    @thesmokingman I was waiting for someone to say that. I thought off that as soon as I saw it. Why would the Foundation, no less, initiate that kind of bounty is PoS was happening this fall?
    edited March 2016
    Proof of Share is just a convoluted trust and permission based system. The real genious behind bitcoin was the combination of hashcash and blockchain. Personally, I doubt a trustless PoS system will exist anytime soon.

Decent article: http://www.coindesk.com/can-trust-based-private-blockchains-be-trusted/
    @work Well, I have to agree I have my misgivings about PoS, and what impact (negative) it may have on the Ethereum network. I think VB might be seeing that, since the news that PoS would be introduced in stages, alongside PoW. We'll see what happens.