Coins gone to test-net account, and didn't retain PW for network main account

emrozinskiemrozinski Member Posts: 5
My two main problems:

1.) I bought 4 days ago on the "Anycoin" platorm Ether for 100 EUR coins, and specified a test net account address as destination for transfer. Result. The coins don't show up there, and obviously not on my network main account either.
Comment: I was not aware that the account was a test-account, and, apart from this little red rectangle "Test-Net", nothing prevented me from concluding that I could use that. In fact, I though the red rectangle was a hyperlink to a test-net, rather than understanding I was in the test-net already.

How can I retrieve my coins?

2.) When I was made aware today by "Anycoin" support, that I needed to create a regular account, I did that. After I specified a password and confirmed account-setup, Ethereum Wallet app didn't return anything to indicate it was successfully created. I don't remember how the app exactly reacted, but my conclusion was that something had gone wrong. So I generated a new PW and repeated this procedure. Result: a second account was created (account 2), and (probably) with the 2nd PW. The first I didn't retain, so I assume that main account is no longer usable.

If you manage to solve problem 1, by redirecting the coins to any other of my accounts, how can I verify in advance that I have the PW for the destination account used?

Thanks in advance.
Eric

Comments

• emrozinskiemrozinski Member Posts: 5
    In case it was not clear: all relates to the Ethereum Wallet app
  • t9bt9b Member Posts: 3
    Firstly I think you haven't lost your coins. You have a situation where an address was generated on testnet. This address will have been derived from a private key. All you need to do is retrieve your private key from your testnet wallet and use it to create a new account in Mainnet. You coins should appear then on your account when your blockchain has synchronised.
    edited March 2016
    I still have the private key with which I had created the test-account whose address I specified when buying the Ether.

I did what you suggested: use that same private key to create a new account on Mainnet. Comment (for completeness): that new account has an address that is different from the address of the testnet account, although both were created with the same private key.

After sync, that new Mainnet account still shows no Ether.

FYI: before opening up the wallet-app, I started "geth.exe" in a shell (no option specified).
    Summary of issues:
    - I purchased Ether for 100 EUR. The purchase on "Anycoin" platform went well, but the transfer of the Ether to my Ethernet Wallet (Mist) failed.

- The failure of the transfer was due to specifying the address of a test-account of my Wallet. The main reason for this user-error was insufficient clarity of the Wallet-GUI, which was not clear enough about this account being a test-account, and indicating not to use this for real transactions. From other discussions found, I am not the first running into this problem.

- Upon guidance of Anycoin, I created a new (main) account on the Main-Net. As the GUI was missing proper feedback during creation and initial syncing of the account ("Account Created; save your password") , I concluded the creation-process had failed, and repeated the process using a newly generated password (and dropping the PW used for the first attempt). I am now left with a main account on Main-Net, which has no PW. So any money on their is lost.

Current conclusion:
    - 100 EUR lost, due to user error that would have likely been avoided with a adequate Wallet-GUI.

- no effective support from the Ethereum community to date.

- no solution to any of the problems mentioned, nor feedback as to how to avoid this in future, by changes of the GUI.

- my personal conclusion is that I don't see benefit of crypto-currency for me, in light of the risks I've read about related to Bitcoin, and my personal experience with Ether, the wallet and the support given by the Ethereum community. Using normal currencies and other asset has been less complicated, more reliable and error-tolerant, and better supported. Before I invest more in this, I will wait and see... unless I receive the support from Ethereum that I would expect from a solution provider.
  • sitaranesitarane Member Posts: 1
    @t9b is probably right. The coins were sent to an address that is not in your account list, but if you can recover the private key, you'll get your coins.

You say you have the private key. How did you retrieve it? (Don't post it here obviously)
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @emrozinski, The private keys aren't specific for each network. They are keys to the same address in the entire Ethereum address space. Simply copy the the keys into:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Ethereum\keystore for Windows or

~/.ethereum/keystore/ for Linux and the addresses will show up in Ethereum Wallet.

The amount in the addresses will not show until the wallet has sync'd past the block in which the transaction is recorded. This may take some days if the wallet is newly installed, or some hours if you pre-synch geth by geth --fast
  • t9bt9b Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2016

.....Before I invest more in this, I will wait and see... unless I receive the support from Ethereum that I would expect from a solution provider.

I'm sorry that you are struggling to recover your Ether, but nowhere does anyone say that this is a finished product or fit for general public consumption or supported in anyway. This is very early days, consider it a bit like trying to understand what people are doing at CERN, with only a high school physics education - things that seem difficult for you, are run-of-the-mill for experts. Also don't expect support, although this is a good place, and Reddit r/ethereum is also useful.

When it is said there are risks (as it does all over the Ethereum website), it is really meant in all seriousness. Not knowing about this stuff is risky in itself especially to those who want to think of this as an investment.

What I would suggest is that you keep a back-up of your keystore as advised above, and if or when you are able to understand more, you should be able to recover your funds, but I am presuming that what you even consider to be an address is actually one and not something else.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @emrozinski Additional info...

You will find your test net private key in:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Ethereum\testnet\keystore
    Just copy the file from that folder as previously stated...
    Hi all,

many thanks for your support! Sorry my late response. I just came back from Easter trip.

Good news so far: with your appreciated help and the nice "myEtherWallet" page, I was able to visualise the 7.3 Ether I had transferred from "AnyCoin" to the mentioned test-net account. So it's there.

Now, how do I move it to a main-net account, in order to use the currency? Simply by moving the respective file in (testnet/)keystore to the regular (main-net) keystore directory? Note that the test-net account where I've been missing the real Ether meanwhile contains some test-Ether that I mined on the test-net. This I did, to verify whether the account is able to show Ether at all, and reflect transactions. I guess that, if I (somehow) relocate this account from test-net to main-net, this has no relevance, and the "test-Ether" will disappear in favor of real Ether, right?

Rather unrelated, but I've been been asking myself that question, because my GUI-version of Ethereum Wallet (0.5.2) does not show any delete-icon next to a wallet, in contrast to what the exchanges on the web suggest: can I delete accounts simply by deleting the corresponding file in corresponding keystore directory? If yes, does this work for a test-net account the same way as for a main-net account?

BTW, thanks for having brought up the aspect "private key". I got reminded of the fact that the passwor" I specify when creating an account is not the private key itself, but latter rather generated based on former. "myEtherWallet" allowed to retrieve that actual private key. I'm learning...

I understand your point, that all of this is complex and in development stage. I work in telecommunications, on complex algos as well, and I can't expect everybody to understand the things I work on, so need to bring the API to an abstract and understandable enough level, so that it can be integrated in the application. Not always easy, and I appreciate the challenges you're facing, and also your goodwill.

So, if I'm not mistaking, we're relatively close to me having control over over the real Ether that I purchased earlier. With you help we'll get there.

Thanks,
    Eric