GPU works on PCI 16x but not with a 1x-16x riser

axou64axou64 Member Posts: 21
Hi guys, I have a problem, my GPU (msi r9 380 4G) works when I put it in a 16x PCI but when I use an USB riser, it doesn't work, is there any problem in the connections or am I doing something wrong ??

I need help please

Thanks

Comments

• dylanlaird44dylanlaird44 Member Posts: 29
    I'm having the same problem I think I may have purchased a faulty cable
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Have you tried different slots?
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    @axou64
    1. Since you already know that 16X slot works, you can try to put the small connector there, just watch for orientation!. If it does not work, then it is your riser.
    2. make sure that you put your little three-toothed connector all the way as sometimes it gets loose-happened to me a couple of times.
    I would start with #2, then #1 if #2 wouldn't work
    Good luck
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a bad riser cable. I've probably used twice as many USB risers as I have GPUs, just because those boards die so easily.

Or, the 16x slot on your mobo may need the presense pins jumped to detect the 1x in the 16x slot. Go google for more info.
  • crunnercrunner Member Posts: 1
    I've actually been having the same problem for a while now, on three (formerly scrypt) Ubuntu 15.10 rigs. The two cards in the PCIe x16 slots will mine, the two in the PCIe x1 slots won't. Even trying to start cards in those slots hangs the machine. Note these cards mine perfectly well for scrypt (and a half-dozen other algos). I know there are others here who have 4+ cards mining ether on a single motherboard, so I'm now thinking my mobo (an MSI 97A-G43) is the problem.

I'm not looking for assistance, per se, and obviously I'm not providing any. Just want to warn you it's possible your riser is perfectly fine. Ethminer/Ubuntu seems to be fidgety with PCIe 1x slots...