Mining with Tesla K80 for ether

Suhas_HegdeSuhas_Hegde Member Posts: 4
Hi guys my friend had left this Nvidia Tesla K80 24GB GPU behind before leaving, and I was wondering whether this would be good for ether mining and if so what kind of motherboard and other configs would I need?
Any help is much appreciated.
I'd like to share the hashrate once i get it up and running.

Regards
Suhas

Comments

• OproOpro Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2016
    :)) k80 ? Okaay...

Any motherboard(with 2pci-e 1for k80 and another for you'r principal gpu)/gpu/etc.. if u will use only this gpu, maybe a good psu for that monster. If u try to mine please write here the power in mh. I'm so courios :))

(i'm not native english)
  • davethetrousersdavethetrousers Member Posts: 46
    Definitely check out the CUDA miner by @Genoil. The default OpenCL miner will give you relatively small hashrates.

If I remember correctly, though, the CUDA miner only fully supported Compute 4.0+, and the Kepler Tesla cards are 3.x. But I'm not sure about that, as I'm not following that fork really.
  • Suhas_HegdeSuhas_Hegde Member Posts: 4
    @davethetrousers I've Checked it out and always wondered how Kepler gives lesser performance than the Maxwells even though some of these have insane configs. I haven't really found anyone using this so no more threads to search.It says though only CUDA 3.7 compatibility. Thanks for the quick reply though I'll do some more research.

@Opro Hey thanks, I'll surely test it out soon , once i get the hardware setup and tell you about the hashrates, I was thinking maybe 1500W just in case for the Tesla ?
  • GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @davethetrousers the CUDA kernel works fine from compute 3.5 onwards. GK210 (K80 GPU) is Compute 3.7

I've always been curious about the performance of my kernel on K80. I had singed up with NVidia a while ago for a test drive, but when they called me and I explained it was for a mining kernel, I never heard back from them :).

The cool thing about Compute 3.7 is that you have double the register size, so in case of ethminer, you can achieve 88% or 100% occupancy depending on any register limitation you might set. I don't know if that will double the hashrate per GPU (K80 has two GK210) compared to GK110 or perhaps not have any effect at all because the memory is stalling business as usual.

So yes, download my CUDA miner, give it a spin and tell me if you get 36 or a whopping 72MH/s from it. I seriously doubt the latter, but who knows.

Then when you're done and the thing is really yours because you friend carelessly "left behind" his $2500 top-notch compute beast that is more commonly found in datacenters and research institutes, please sell it to somebody who will use it for some serious double precision work. Because that's what it is made for, not simple repetitive int math.

From the earnings, assemble yourself a nice 6xGTX970 rig that will easily sell in a few months and make way more profit the K80 will likely give you.

--edit--

@Suhas_Hegde sorry missed your reply there. I just realized the binaries I'm linking to do not have compute 3.7 support baked in because I figured either nobody with a K80 would bother using it for eth mining, or they would know how to compile themselves. I think you owe it to your friend to learn how to compile for the K80 ;)
    @Genoil I'm quickly trying to set it up , been eating at me for a while too. I'll share the results as soon I can set it up, I'm still a bit sketchy with the hardware configs , been getting a friend to help me set it up.

Did you mean the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics Card ? What hash rate might each one give me?
    The problem is All electronic goods are almost double the price in India.

Still have a little doubt over whether AMD cards hash faster or Nvidia maxwell compute ones.

I've been using your CUDA miner since forever , mining with my old nvidia cards, works wonders.

Thanks for replying so quickly, would love to get it set up soon.
  • davethetrousersdavethetrousers Member Posts: 46
    Try searching around the premises of the forgotten GPU, maybe there's a medium to be found with a custom SDK on it. :relaxed:
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    Mining copper with golden hammer.
    :*
    @Genoil Yep just thought I'd give the mining a try, It's just lying here waiting to be used . I'll read up about how to compile the binaries , though I'm not too sure how far I'd get. Any help would be appreciated !

@davethetrousers Yeah I sure hope so :P

@Jukebox Haha :D
  • GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    Here's some Compute 3.7 binaries for you with slightly different build parameters. They'll likely hash at similar speeds, not entirely sure though. Just unzip and copy into a normal release from the link I sent earlier.
  • SiouxSioux Member Posts: 5
    Hi I just read this thread. I have several cards here. Most run great. But I also have a couple of Quadro K6000 whatever I try they don't go over 1,5 MH/s. That is a bit low isn't it? Any tips?
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Your friend must be a millionaire if he just gave you that card for free.

Its like a $5000 card. You would be much better off selling it and getting like 10x AMD GPUs.

• blueboxbluebox Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
    @Suhas_Hegde Whoa there buddy, be careful — all the K80's I know of are passively cooled (no on-board fans). They're designed to be used in data center rack servers that force large air through them on a continuous basis. How your friend "just left this [$5000] K80 behind" is another story I'd like to hear... :o

We have four K40's in our data center, each pair housed in Dell R730's. Each card requires a full 240W per, and believe me, when they're cranking Desmond FEP jobs they use all of it. A K80 pushes 300W...

My guess is the SP performance hashing ether might not be as spectacular as you think — probably in the 50MH range, based on the K80 being about 2x the SP GFlop rating of a GTX970. As @Genoil said, these things are double-precision monsters for high-end compute; they're not cheap gamer cards on steroids.

I did take one of our very old compute 2.0 M2090's and popped in in a workstation/server box running Windows; Genoil's (opencl) miner hits 10MH... not bad for a 6 year old card without benefit of cuda.
  • jrmonagasjrmonagas Member Posts: 4
    Talking about k80s.
    I have huge discounts on microsoft azure services. What do you guys think of mining with a NC24r VPS? It has 4 K80s on it. should i start doing it? How many MH/s?
  • kristofferjonkristofferjon Sagittarius AMember Posts: 77 ✭✭
    jrmonagas said:

Talking about k80s.
    I have huge discounts on microsoft azure services. What do you guys think of mining with a NC24r VPS? It has 4 K80s on it. should i start doing it? How many MH/s?

Do the math first I'd suggest, based on their retail pricing for the N-Series instances you won't make any money with Ether prices and difficulty at their current levels.
  • RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
    jrmonagas said:

Talking about k80s.

Some rough numbers here
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/54325/#Comment_54325
  • GeorgeGate5GeorgeGate5 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2017
    I run Etarminer 1.8 on my Tesla K80 and get about 13MH/s for each GK210. Is it running good? @Genoil