[Interest] 200MH Plug and Play Mining Rig

jstefanopjstefanop Member Posts: 43
Putting this out there for interest, but I have access to an interesting deal where I can assembled a couple hundred 200MH Ethereum Mining rigs. Preliminary specs are below

-200 MH ETHash rate
~1300 watts at the wall
-Roughly 4U enclosure
-Target under 2 month ROI (i.e. 2-3k USD)
-Simple ethernet connection, and web interface for configuring

This would be just a plug and play system, plug into power and ethernet, go to local ip address to enter pool (or solo) information and fire it up. No fumbling with GPUs, OSes, setup or any of the like.

These are for a massive farm deployment (so they are designated to be modular and easily scalable), but figured id open some sales to public if enough were interested

Comments

• phamarkonphamarkon Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Hi !

Nice Performance there ! I'd like to open a small Ethereum mining farm. Is it possible to ship it to Europe ?

Regards,
    P.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    200Mh on 1300W? 6 cards at 33MHs and 200W. So which stock cards are hashing >30Mhs? R9 390x benchmarks around 27Mh/s and 220W spec. I guess it might be doable with a lot of tuning for that price but sounds more like a sales pitch.
  • patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Be aware about scams, they do exists.

Here is something looks more realistic in terms of hardware: http://www.vmxlabs.com/
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

200Mh on 1300W? 6 cards at 33MHs and 200W. So which stock cards are hashing >30Mhs? R9 390x benchmarks around 27Mh/s and 220W spec. I guess it might be doable with a lot of tuning for that price but sounds more like a sales pitch.

@o0ragman0o
    Agreed. I'm pretty sure there are no GPUs out there hashing ETH at >30 Mh/s at the moment.
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    "Agreed. I'm pretty sure there are no GPUs out there hashing ETH at >30 Mh/s at the moment."

Incorrect.

The HD7990 does far more hashes (>40Mhps). It does draw far more than 200W.
    @ethfan @ 375W spec and 450ish live. The 7990's are two 7970's on one board. he's only claimed 1200W and he would need 5 of them to approach 200Mhs at ~2500W. He also has to buy current market cards.
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@ethfan @ 375W spec and 450ish live. The 7990's are two 7970's on one board. he's only claimed 1200W and he would need 5 of them to approach 200Mhs at ~2500W. He also has to buy current market cards.

I have two. They draw 770W and that is a drop from about 900W (by undervolting).
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Think that finely tuned Fury Nano can do 25MH @ 150W. But price... :o
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

@o0ragman0o @ethfan Exactly -- 2x GPUs on one boards != single GPU. Divide that >40 Mhs / 2 to get actual hashrate PER GPU.

So, as I said...nothing out there hashing ETH at >30 Mhs right now.
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    An overclocked R9-390x does 32MH right now. Stock it does 30.5Mh.

And btw, there is no rig capable of doing 200MH with under 1300watts.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @jstefanop Yep, I call bullshit. Due to the limits in current memory technology on GPUs, you cannot exceed 31 MH/s on a card, period.
  • jstefanopjstefanop Member Posts: 43
    Its a proprietary system with more than 6 cards obviously :p We have multiple engineering units hashing right now. Its not quite ready to show off full details, which is why I'm only listing basic specs.

If anyone wants to questions my reliability, just check bitcointalk/litecoin talk forums...same user name. Im a hardware/software engineer and have contributed lots of code base to ASIC miner drivers as well as built the only USB Stick based scrypt miner (and successfully delivered hundreds of them after a successful crowd development/sale).

Figured it was about time I get into some fun with the ethereum scene ;)

btw I love the ethash algo and taking a pass over the OpenCL implementation...im pretty sure I can squeeze a nice parentage margin more of optimizations of the kernel :)
  • PurgentPurgent Member Posts: 35
    MrYukonC said:

@o0ragman0o
    Agreed. I'm pretty sure there are no GPUs out there hashing ETH at >30 Mh/s at the moment.
    False. I have two 390s at 1100/1600 (stock voltage) mining at 30.8 Mh each.
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    jstefanop said:

Its a proprietary system with more than 6 cards obviously :p We have multiple engineering units hashing right now. Its not quite ready to show off full details, which is why I'm only listing basic specs.

If anyone wants to questions my reliability, just check bitcointalk/litecoin talk forums...same user name. Im a hardware/software engineer and have contributed lots of code base to ASIC miner drivers as well as built the only USB Stick based scrypt miner (and successfully delivered hundreds of them after a successful crowd development/sale).

Figured it was about time I get into some fun with the ethereum scene ;)

btw I love the ethash algo and taking a pass over the OpenCL implementation...im pretty sure I can squeeze a nice parentage margin more of optimizations of the kernel :)

So you are basically one of these guys who will be responsible for killing the gpu mining for eth? Nice...
    edited March 2016
    IF it's engineered properly, maybe it can be done, but I do ave doubts about the claims of 1000watts mining 200MH. The best I could get ANY of my cards was [email protected] 15MH for a select few R7-370's and R9-390's bested at about [email protected] .
    I have tested a LOT of the better quality GPU's on the market as I get them for free to 'play with', and none of the 280x/380's got even near 100watts that someone claimed @ 20MH.

Also, if it's in an enclosure, you WILL be using 100watts just to cool the system with the high speed fans required..
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    By the time he gets this up and running he will either run out of places to buy GPUs or mining ETH won't be profitable anymore with the daily 5% difficulty increases we have been getting. Everyday about 3000 GPUs are entered into the market and it will only get worse.
  • jstefanopjstefanop Member Posts: 43
    bitcanuck said:

@adaseb The last 12 days has seen a 224% price increase, which is a daily average of 7%. Enjoy the party while it lasts!
    I also think we could see a slight dip in hashrate/difficulty tomorrow depending on how many miners have not made the homestead switch.

Well thats mostly irrelevant since the price has more than kept up with difficulty increases, I'm making more returns per card today than last month.

An no I'm not killing off GPU mining...thats the whole beauty of ethereum...there is a limited supply of GPUs that everyone has access too.. at most I would add around 100GH of hash to the network with this project. Once all the new people are onboard due to the hype and price increase of ether it will level off. Trust me this is round 3 of the same cycle for me...I was there when bitcoin was mined on GPUs, and Litecoin. The only difference is that there wont be an ASIC developed before POS since it makes no sense to do so, ethereum is killing off GPU mining itself :p

@jstefanop "btw I love the ethash algo and taking a pass over the OpenCL implementation...im pretty sure I can squeeze a nice parentage margin more of optimizations of the kernel :)"

Good luck with that. Do you actually think that no one else before you has ever looked at improving the kernel performance? Your arrogant tone tells me you don't have a clue, yet, but you will. I'll give you a hint: nothing matters but the DAG. So, if you can figure out how to speed up 128 byte random reads of global memory in OpenCL, please do let us know.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    I've seen scams like this before I would stay away bros remember LTC gear, BFL, PayCoin , KNC the list is endless
    if unless you have something in hand and you can buy via credit card and cancel and /revoke payments if/when they don't deliver stay faaaar away.

and remember cloud mining is ALWAYS a scam, if they can build such great machines they would mine for themselves remember they are not out to help YOU just help themselves grow big with YOUR Capital like KNC etc did.
    bitcanuck said:

Marvell9 said:

and remember cloud mining is ALWAYS a scam, if they can build such great machines they would mine for themselves remember they are not out to help YOU just help themselves grow big with YOUR Capital like KNC etc did.

Bitmain's hashnest is legit. You might not ROI before redemption, but you get to keep the machine.

Now we DEFINITELY KNOW you are full of sht.. B)
    edited March 2016
    Don't get me wrong @jstefanop is a trustworthy guy I know him from the litecoin forums and he has the skill to pull this off I'm just saying cloud mining is very risky things start with good intentions and always seem to tend to go south with these mining collaborations

Unless you can drive over and actually see what you are buying it's too risky

I personally lost 30k in cloud mining scheemes and I am pretty much done with anything that does not involve any form of refundable payments. google LTC and Paycoin scams people lost millions.
    jstefanop said:

No I'm not ready to call scam yet, just looking for another unicorn head to mount on my wall.

Known:
    a) > 6 GPUs
    b) 200Mh
    c) 1200W @ wall
    d) 4RU
    e) $3000 ROI
    f) Kernal programming overconfidence (Though keen to look over that paper. thx @bitcanuck)
    g) "Proprietry system"
    h) "multiple engineering units" built
    i) "Couple of hundred" production units to be built
    So I've updated my sheet with kH/W of which the best cards showing are Nano's (26Mh @ 175W) and R7 370's (15 @ 110W)
    200MH/s equivalents
    7.7 (8)x Nano's = 1400W.
    7x Nano's OCUV = 1225W
    7x Nano volume price (>$400ea) = $2800

13.3 (14)x R7 370 = 1540W
    13x R7 370 OCUV = 1430W
    13x R7 370 volume price (>$100ea) = $1300
    So far the dollar budget is there for R7 370 GPU's but the energy budget is not. Noone is going to waste time undervolting and overclocking 2600 GPU's (unless some custom factory deal) so I'm calling 14x R7 370's / unit.

Physical layout
    14 GPU's in a 4RU box ~ 2x 7 rows
    No problem there.

Motherboard CPU RAM and connectivity
    MOBO with 5 PCIe slots ~$150
    5 1-to-3 PCIe switches for 15 PCIe 1x ~$300
    CPU 60W 16 PCIe lanes ~$110
    DDR3 ~$40
    4RU case ~$100
    Cooling - Internal server fans $?

Additional load ~ 200W
    Total power requirement ~2000W

2000W PSU ~$300

Build labor $50~$100
    Totals per Unit
    210MH/s
    2000W
    $2300 ~ $3000
    So except for the energy budget, the rig itself looks doable within the price for those with enough technical experience in configuring high GPU count nodes (which I was researching last night).

The energy efficiency might not be any better than a home built rig, so the 2000W blow out is no big deal.

Low maintenance low configuration drop-in box is pretty attractive.
    jstefanop said:

I suggest you have a good read of Genoil's CUDA miner thread for an experience of someone thinking they could do a better kernel...and getting smashed on the wall of ethash. It's certainly better than the OpenCL kernals for NVIDA cards but no better than OpenCL on AMD.
    @o0ragman0o great analysis there, this is the very reason im not really particular to the 370s , and you are a bit off they actually pull 150 watt at the wall, loweest i ever sen them pull is 140ish so its even worse efficiency.

I would rather buy a signle 390 which pulls 280ish and hashes for 31.5 mhs 28.5mhs min
    @Marvell9, yeah it's all speculation and I was using some pretty forgiving numbers.
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @jstefanop check out http://ethosdistro.com and http://mining.gpushack.com , my contact info is at the bottom of the second link.

If you want to bundle your miner with ethOS, we can work something out. Would likely save you a ton of work.
    bitcanuck said:

kotarius said:

@jstefanop check out http://ethosdistro.com and http://mining.gpushack.com , my contact info is at the bottom of the second link.

If you want to bundle your miner with ethOS, we can work something out. Would likely save you a ton of work.

@kotarius
    I don't see a free download link or a source repository. Looks like a GPL violation to me...
    There are many misconceptions regarding the GPL. I urge anyone worried about ethOS compliance with GPL to actually read the contents of its license.

Link for convenience: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html

For example, we only need to provide source (and we do) to actual ethOS customers (i.e. the users), not to people voicing their misinformed opinions on public forums.

Anyway, I would rather not hijack OP's thread with discussions about ethOS. If you have some concerns about it, you can post about them in the ethOS thread located here:

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/20827
  • RayhanRayhan Member Posts: 111
    With mobo with low price can I connect 6 or 7 GPU?
    bitcanuck said:

kotarius said:

bitcanuck said:

kotarius said:

@kotarius
    I don't see a free download link or a source repository. Looks like a GPL violation to me...
    There are many misconceptions regarding the GPL. I urge anyone worried about ethOS compliance with GPL to actually read the contents of its license.

Link for convenience: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html

For example, we only need to provide source (and we do) to actual ethOS customers (i.e. the users), not to people voicing their misinformed opinions on public forums.

Anyway, I would rather not hijack OP's thread with discussions about ethOS. If you have some concerns about it, you can post about them in the ethOS thread located here:

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/20827
    Wow, with an asshole attitude like that you'll get lots of customers. You're good at projection too since you are the uninformed one if you think the linux kernel, glibc, bash, ... and everything you have likely included in ethOS has a gpl v3 license. You're small potatoes, so nothing will probably happen when I report you anyway. Or maybe I'll just buy a copy and share it online so you can't make any more money off it... so be very careful who you sell it to!
    My attitude has nothing to do with ethOS sales. With regards to being uninformed, everything you listed is released under a GPL license.

linux kernel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel#Licensing_terms
    glibc: http://www.palamida.com/posts/view/19/What_is_the_license_of_the_GNU_C_Library
    bash: https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/

With regards to reporting ethOS project, nothing will happen because there are no violations. I am sure that the Free Software Foundation cares equally about small potatoes and large potatoes.

Again, if you have some concerns, voice them in the ethOS thread.
    please dont derail guys