gtx 970 with new buff better tha r9 280x ?

13»

Comments

• blueboxbluebox ✭✭ Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
    Marvell9 said:

I have a 4 GPU 970 build right now I'm testing it gets around 90mhs at the pool the one issue being that the CPU is a huge bottleneck in windows 7. Its constanly at 60-80% cpu on ethminer which slows down the share submitting I don't know if its an issue with the latest Genoli ethminer build or the fact that CUDA needs more CPU horsepower.

That doesn't sound right; there's something else going on. Try an older version of his ethminer, or play with settings.

No way mining ETH (cuda or opencl) takes that kind of cpu power, even on win7, unless they're very underpowered old cpu's. My two 970's take <5% of a devils' canyon quad-core i5 cpu on win7.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    yeah you have a quad core I5 Im using
    Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150 53W BX80646G3258

on all my boxes maybe its too weak for CUDA ?
  • anonymous95anonymous95 Member Posts: 248

They have no clue what hey are talking about. Even factory TDP is 250watts (MAX).
    A 280x will use about 220watts more or less. LESS if you can undervolt it.
    850watt PS with 3GPU's and everything is pushing the limits though. You will be very close to the efficiency drop off on most bronze or silver 850's. If it's a gold or platinum (I doubt) you'll be ok unless you are building with a power hungry CPU/non SSD Drive or overclocking.

The PSU IS THIS Aerocool Xpredator 850GM 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular with PCI Express (6 + 2 pin) x 4 Is this enought for 3 gpus?
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Never heard of them. You will need 6x PCIe for the 3x 280x's (3x 6+2, 3x 6) so you will need to either use an adapter from MOLEX to PCIe, or use 1 cable per GPU split to 2 PCIe connectors.

On EVGA G2's (850 and above) the cables are beefy enough to support 300+watts each with no problems, but I don't know what quality they are on that brand. I'd say get yourself an EVGA 850 and I pretty much guarantee you'll be ok, as long as you don't overclock. In my opinion, EVGA is the 2nd best PS manufacturer after Seasonic. Their video cards suck, but PS they are great.

Never heard of them. You will need 6x PCIe for the 3x 280x's (3x 6+2, 3x 6) so you will need to either use an adapter from MOLEX to PCIe, or use 1 cable per GPU split to 2 PCIe connectors.

On EVGA G2's (850 and above) the cables are beefy enough to support 300+watts each with no problems, but I don't know what quality they are on that brand. I'd say get yourself an EVGA 850 and I pretty much guarantee you'll be ok, as long as you don't overclock. In my opinion, EVGA is the 2nd best PS manufacturer after Seasonic. Their video cards suck, but PS they are great.

Soo you mean somethink like this EVGA Super Nova G2 850W Modular 80 Plus Gold ?
    Jukebox said:

I have a questions bought a 3x280x a days ago with a psu 850W and now I recive message by the seller company It isn enought this PSU for these 3x280x because every single card is requered 600W ? Is this right?
    And how people are doing this? 3x280X with 750 and I purches 850W and they told me isnt enough? I am realy confused.

Just relax. 850 W PSU is enough for 3*280X
    My rigs with 4*7950 run on Chieftec APS-850C during 3 years with no problem.

Sorry about my english :( I hope you can understand me.

Українська? Русский?
    :)
    Български а ти?
  • JukeboxJukebox ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

>

Български а ти?

Україна.
    edited March 2016
    Marvell9 said:

@Marvell9 That's a non-hyperthreaded dual core, and you have 4 gpu's on it? Each gpu takes a single thread, with four it would be oversubscribed (thread contention). Take two gpu's out and see if usage doesn't drop to single digits.

Personally I'd rather run linux, and would install/compile/run ethminer on Mint (I dislike Ubuntu greatly) if I didn't already have and need RHEL/CentOS dual-boot for work. Once I get another hdd installed it will happen -- in my spare time, in my spare time.... :D
    edited March 2016
  • verjicverjic Member Posts: 143
    Better try to Find USB riser. It's much better
  • Marvell9Marvell9 ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    bluebox said:

Marvell9 said:

@Marvell9 That's a non-hyperthreaded dual core, and you have 4 gpu's on it? Each gpu takes a single thread, with four it would be oversubscribed (thread contention). Take two gpu's out and see if usage doesn't drop to single digits.

Personally I'd rather run linux, and would install/compile/run ethminer on Mint (I dislike Ubuntu greatly) if I didn't already have and need RHEL/CentOS dual-boot for work. Once I get another hdd installed it will happen -- in my spare time, in my spare time.... :D
    @bluebox I added an i5 processor to replace the Pentium and the usage went down to 20% but the mashine still seems to hash with some lag

I played around with the settings and found

ethminer --farm-recheck 100 -G -F http://192.168.0.46:8546/miner/30/Marvell9.10 -U --cuda-devices 0 1 2 3 --cuda-extragpu-mem 0 --cuda-block-size 128 --cuda-grid-size 8192 --cuda-schedule auto

if I remove "--cuda-schedule auto" cpu usage goes down to the normal cpu usage of 2-5% I see on my AMD boxes.

Still the ethminer instance still seems laggy and on the pool I'm only getting around 70mhs I suspect due to the herky jerykyness of of ethminer on that windows 7 box.

When I bench mark each card invidually I see 21mhs on 2 and 18.5 on the other two so I should be closer to 78mhs. My AMD boxes actually always show higer on the pool than what ethminer reports not this Nvidia box.

I guess on my next build i'll try and UBNNTU ethminer install , not sure what that all entails though never installed CUDA drivers manually on UBUNTU

edited March 2016
    Marvell9 said:

ethminer --farm-recheck 100 -G -F http://192.168.0.46:8546/miner/30/Marvell9.10 -U --cuda-devices 0 1 2 3 --cuda-extragpu-mem 0 --cuda-block-size 128 --cuda-grid-size 8192 --cuda-schedule auto

@Marvell9 Why would you specify the OpenCL (-G) parameter AND cuda (-U)? :o

EDIT Saw your cross-post, I think Genoil's on vacation for some time?

BTW Compiling on linux isn't too tough if you've done it before. Installing nvidia drivers can be done by downloading it from nvidia and blacklisting the nouveau driver. Not sure if there's a RHEL/CentOS EL-repo-style kmod-nvidia package for ubuntu/apt, which makes it dead simple (not having to re-install the driver after system updates). Been away from Ubuntu a looooong time (and like it less these days), you might want to try Mint instead...
    Post edited by bluebox on
    Additional molex needed only for HD 6*** and older cards, or for low level cards that powered only from PCI-E slot.
    Jukebox said:

Additional molex needed only for HD 6*** and older cards, or for low level cards that powered only from PCI-E slot.
    So for r9 280x I dont need molex?
    Verjic told me usb riser will be better.
    Is this USB riser its ok for r9 280x?

http://www.amazon.com/PCI-E-Powered-Adapter-Riser-Connector/dp/B00IN9F0W8
    I thought all USB risers require the molex power, no matter what. Heck, I know none of my USB risers work without it..

Jukebox said:

So for r9 280x I dont need molex?
    Verjic told me usb riser will be better.
    Is this USB riser its ok for r9 280x?

http://www.amazon.com/PCI-E-Powered-Adapter-Riser-Connector/dp/B00IN9F0W8
    Molex not needed in case of passive PCI-E riser from your amazon link.

USB port have only +5V rail and limited by 2.5 or 5 W power.
    Conventional PCI-E slot must have +12 V & +3.3 V rails and transfer at least 25 W load.
    Thats because in case of USB to PCI-E riser additional power is needed anyway.

USB riser is good because you can have up to 127 usb devices in one system, just use enough USB-hubs.
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser ✭✭ Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @Jukebox

Woah, no! These "USB risers" don't actually use the USB spec at all, it's just repurposing the physical cable because it's inexpensive, high quality and flexible enough.

It's a presence-shorted & power isolated female PCI-E x16 socket on a PCB, with a USB wire leading to a tiny PCB with male x1 connector

The USB cable is used to carry the PCI-E 1x data only, power is provided by a female molex socket or floppy port on the riser PCB, and they come with an adapter to SATA power as well.

The riser does not function at all without the power connection

@Jukebox

Woah, no! These "USB risers" don't actually use the USB spec at all, it's just repurposing the physical cable because it's inexpensive, high quality and flexible enough.

Ah, I thought that it was USB to PCI-E converter. Strange that nobody did it till now.

it's just repurposing the physical cable because it's inexpensive, high quality and flexible enough.

As for me, UTP/STP cable and RJ-45 seems more appropriate.
  • cidmocidmo ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

i know ur evga cards suck comment was just a side note but ive found it to be quite different
    im sure evga PSU are great, never used em, u see them in more PC pics than any other PSU even cheap corsairs
    but for nvidia cards i only buy evga, ive never had one issue and they all OC like crazy
    i have a 750ti short card ive been running 24/7 for almost 1.5 years now stable on a +300 core and +800 on mem OC
    and it gets higher hash rates than ive seen posted from most other manufacturers
    and all the other 750ti i got arent far behind (still evga but all different cards pretty much, ftw, sc, ssc, ref)
    Guess you've never dealt with EVGA warranty or customer service (or lack thereof). LOL.
    I stopped using them years ago because of that. Their Power supplies are top notch though and rival Seasonics.

@Jukebox

It's a presence-shorted & power isolated female PCI-E x16 socket on a PCB, with a USB wire leading to a tiny PCB with male x1 connector

The USB cable is used to carry the PCI-E 1x data only, power is provided by a female molex socket or floppy port on the riser PCB, and they come with an adapter to SATA power as well.

The riser does not function at all without the power connection

Yup.
  • MktHappenMktHappen Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys! Does anyone selling a rig or perhaps can build one for me?