Need help to build mining Rig with 5 X R9 380's

verjicverjic Member Posts: 143
edited February 2016 in Mining
Hello,

I need some advice on what hardware configuration I need to build a mining rig with 5 x R9 380's?

What Processor, HDD, MoBo, PSU and what accessories I need to can connect 5 GPU's to MoBo? And ofcourse anything else I may need?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank You

Comments

• dlehenkydlehenky ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @verjic Search the forum. There are a couple of threads over the past week or two that address your question.
  • verjicverjic Member Posts: 143
    @dlehenky

Hello, I looked in the forum and generally I understand what I need, but just wanted to know if there is anyone using the same GPU and can share his rig configuration :)

I figured out this config:

Intel Celeron G1820, BX80646G1820, 2.7GHz, 2MB, socket 1150

Asrock B85 Anniversary, socket 1150, 4xDDR3, 4xSATA3, ATX

5 x ASUS AMD Radeon R9 380, STRIX-R9380-DC2-2GD5-GAMING, 2GB GDDR5, 256bit

PSU Zalman GVM Series ZM1000-GVM, 80+ Bronze 1000W

Kingston HyperX HX316C10F/4, 4GB DDR3, 1600MHz, CL10

1 x PCIe 16x Riser Card

4 x PCIe 1x to 16x Riser Card ( here I don't know what is better USB risers or Flex Cable? ) Please Advice

SSD 30 GB

Total Cost =1400$

I buy everything from Romania ( I'm from Romania ) and we have bigger price's on hardware.

Also I have another question. I already have my PC, which I use every day. I have a good MoBo with 5 PCI x 1 slots. But I have GTX 960 as graphic card. Do you think it is possible to install another 4 or 5 AMD GPU ( R9 380) and to configure it, that for mining to use only AMD GPU's and GTX 960 to be used as display card? So computer would work as usual, with no delays? Would it be difficult to configure, taking in account that onbord will be Nvidia and AMD?

Thank You very much for help

• dlehenkydlehenky ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @verjic I can't comment on all of your list, but I can say that you aren't going to run 5 GPUs on a 1000w psu. Also, USB risers are clearly better than the ribbon (flex) cable ones.

Yes, you can configure your PC that way, but your are going to need a big psu. Don't go with cheap psu's; they are not going to hold up under the 24x7 full-load that mining requires.
    @dlehenky Thank You for advice

About PSU - what is minimum that I need for 5 GPU's?

I though Zalman is a good brand for a PSU, also it is certified. I understand that a good PSU is very important, so I want to buy something very good.

Is there on the forum threads how to configure rig with different gpu brand and how to use one card as display and others for mining?

• CubirezCubirez Member Posts: 71
    As for the PSU, 1000W won't be enough for sure.
    You can also take a look to the LEPA G1600 : it should be less pricey than most other the other quality PSU while still being a good one (check http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html ).
    Thank's for advice.
    I bought everything, MoBo have 3 PCI Express X16, X8, x4 + 3 PCI E x1. I connected 3 GPU to PCI Express and all are visible and mining corectlly. But when I add another GPU with Ribbon powered Riser form x1 to x16, it is not visible by computer. Cooler of GPU start spinning, but in device manager it does not appear. The first 3 cards are visible and work fine. I tried 3 different risers, with two of them computer start, but the card is not visible. With third riser, MoBo start beeping for a few seconds and turnoff, even don't load bios. Where is the problem? Is there anything to do more, to make it work?

I use ribbon risers because I don't have other options at the moment :(

Thank you
  • JukeboxJukebox ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    verjic said:

Thank's for advice.
    I bought everything, MoBo have 3 PCI Express X16, X8, x4 + 3 PCI E x1. I connected 3 GPU to PCI Express and all are visible and mining corectlly. But when I add another GPU with Ribbon powered Riser form x1 to x16, it is not visible by computer. Cooler of GPU start spinning, but in device manager it does not appear. The first 3 cards are visible and work fine. I tried 3 different risers, with two of them computer start, but the card is not visible. With third riser, MoBo start beeping for a few seconds and turnoff, even don't load bios. Where is the problem? Is there anything to do more, to make it work?

I use ribbon risers because I don't have other options at the moment :(

Thank you

1. Use risers 1x to 16x only and try to start 4 cards with them. 1150 socket is limited in number of active PCI-E lanes.
    2. Try to disable audio codec in BIOS - it also occupies one PCI-E lane.
    I tried only with one card and only with the riser and nothing. Windows start and run on integrated card :(.
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    Few things :
    The R9-380 might not work with a VGA/analog Display. I know the R9-390's don't. They need a DVI-D Digital one. Check to see if that's an issue.

Try with 1 card in there first. Disable the built-in display in BIOS and see how it goes with no other cards connected or even plugged into the Power supply.
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser ✭✭ Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    What specific model of motherboard?
    One often has to use only certain specific slots when running a +4 card config

For example, on my Z77A-G45 (3x full length, four 1x) some of the 1x slots share a lane and can't be active at once. (I'm able to put a card in either slot 3 or slot 4, but not both)

There's also an issue with the X8 and X4 slots and x16 risers or directly mounted cards, if the board tries to run them at x8/x4 it may disable other PCI-E x1 slots to do so.

Depending on the motherboard, there may be BIOS options to choose what the x8/x4 slots run at... or you might need to populate them in a certain order.

There are also boards with slots that require a PCI-E presence short when using 1x risers (USB risers do this by default)

verjic said:

I tried only with one card and only with the riser and nothing. Windows start and run on integrated card :(.

Install each card one by one directly to PCI-E x16 slot and check them all in single mode - to be sure that every card is working fine. Maybe some cards are dead.

After that, check all the risers one by one with single card. Maybe some risers are broken.
    This is my MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 3, Socket 1150

I tried all card's to be sure that they are working. And they do.

I checked all the riser with the same card, but how I said 2 of them let the computer to start, but card is not detected by the system and and with one of the risers when I press start button, MoBo just start beeping and turnoff the system without even loading the BIOS.

One of the 3 cards is connected to PCI-E x4 with an extender bought from the same store as risers and it works fine. Only PCI-E x1 slots seem's not to work :(

I saw on internet something about a jumper on PCI-E x1 slot. May be this the case?

I have MSI Cards and the logo on the card turn on the light when is connected to the MoBo. So when I connect GPU to MoBo with x1 to x16 Riser, the light on the card turn's on. If I disconnect it ( but the power from PSU remain connected ) the light turns of. So I understand that card get power from MoBo, the GPU know that it is connected to MoBo.

In the BIOS I don't any option to disable or enable any PCI-E :(
    verjic said:

This is my MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 3, Socket 1150

I tried all card's to be sure that they are working. And they do.

I checked all the riser with the same card, but how I said 2 of them let the computer to start, but card is not detected by the system and and with one of the risers when I press start button, MoBo just start beeping and turnoff the system without even loading the BIOS.

One of the 3 cards is connected to PCI-E x4 with an extender bought from the same store as risers and it works fine. Only PCI-E x1 slots seem's not to work :(

I saw on internet something about a jumper on PCI-E x1 slot. May be this the case?

According to page 8 manual of your mobo
    http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mb_manual_ga-z97x-gaming3_e.pdf
    I can assume that when you connect any device to long PCI-E slot at the bottom of your mo-bo, you disable all short PCI-E x1 slots.

So try not to use PCI-E slot at the bottom of your mo-bo.
    I removed card from PCI-E x4 and leaved only cards from PCI-E x8 and x16. But nothing, card connected to PCI-E x1 was't visible in Windows.
  • anonymous95anonymous95 Member Posts: 248
    How much mhs is doing r9 380?
    On W10, 19 MHS :(
    I removed all GPU's. Added only one card to PCI-E x1 and plugged monitor in that card....and the screen was visible! But with a lot of atrefacts on it. But still in device manager R9 380 was not visible, only integrated card is visible. I don't know what to do more. I don't understand that, how can I see my desktop with card which is not detected by windows?
    I have 5 GPU's, but can run only 3. I will see, may be tomorrow I will can find somewhere USB risers, to try with them, may be there is not enough power in this flexible cables to transmit data.

Thank you all for help
    Artifacts = bad driver, or more than likely bad graphics card.
    Try the other ones one by one. If they also show the same, chances are it's a driver issue.
    If they don't it's a bad card.

I guess it's still possible your motherboard is bad too, but eliminate the cards and driver issue first.
    edited March 2016
    I get artifacts only when GPU is connected to PCI-E x1, but with long PCI-E x16 x8 x4 cards work great.
    Now I tried to connect one of the card to another computer, with another MoBo via PCI-E x1 and the same riser, and windows detected the card! Even if on the MoBo already was another Nvidia GPU! So now I suspect that problems is because of the MoBo. I have to see what I can do ....
    edited March 2016
    @happytreefriends I know you are using also some R9 380. What Hash rate do you gate from them? From my MSI R9 380 I get only 19 MHS in Windows 10. Is that ok? Or you get more?
    I use Windows 8.1 on the rigs. I mainly use R9-370/390/x models, but when I tested an R9-380 I got 20MH stock.
    verjic said:

So now I suspect that problems is because of the MoBo. I have to see what I can do ....

1. Make clean install Win 7/8
    2. install latest intel chipset driver.
    3. Install crimson 16.2 driver.

@Jukebox I switched to windows 7, removed any card from PCI-E x4 and installed latest crimson 16.2 driver. When I added first time one card to PCI-E x1 slot ( PCI-E x16 and x8 was connected directly with another 2 GPU's ) computer detected it and windows too. I started miner and the card was detected, so it started to mine with all 3 cards! I was happy until..... I added the 4th card via PCI-E x1.....and I got blue screen during start :( I removed it, but now computer refuse to recognize again the first card I added to PCI-E x1. I'm tired :). I will try one more time to reinstall windows, all drivers and to add one by one the cards. May be in the end this board will start work via PCI-E x1. Only thing is that now I'm sure that PCI-E x1 is working and also the riser :)

Any suggestion?

Thank you for help!
    @happytreefriends I installed only 1 GPU Asus R9 380 on another PC and overclocked it with ASUS TWEAK GPU and hash rate rise'd to 22,7 MH/s. MSI Cards R9 380 I managed to rise to 20,5 MH/s with MSI afterburner. What settings do you use to undervolt and underclock your cards? I powered Asus GPU only with 6 pin cable ( this PSU don't have 6+2 Pin ) so I want to undervolt it
    What do you think about this MoBo? Asrock B85 Anniversary, socket 1150 - http://www.altex.ro/placa-de-baza-asrock-b85-anniversary-socket-1150-4xddr3-4xsata3-atx .

After I will manage to make actual MoBo to work ( If I will... ), I want to build one more rig, but now for sure with different MoBo. Do you think it is ok? And it will be more easier to install cards on it?

Thank you
    verjic said:

Any suggestion?

The last thing - update motherboard BIOS.

For undervolting, if you use stock speed, I go max at -100mv using afterburner. If I overclock a bit, -50mv. It makes a big difference. On my r9-390's it gets them down to just about 200watts (some less) per GPU. 200Watts for 29+-MH ain't too shabby.

On the 380, you should be able to get down to a bunch under that.
    Does ASUS Tweak work with other cards?
  • Masked_ImmortalMasked_Immortal Member Posts: 11
    ok forgot pcie x16 (speed x4) it will disable all x1 slot
    1.reset motherboard BIOS
    2. connect first card to first pcie x16 directly and connect vga cable to it, it should be ok
    3. if 2 was ok then remove card and now connect it to first pcie x16 using riser, check do you have screen?
    4. if 3 was ok connect another card via riser to another pcie x16, if it detected continue to add other cards one by one in pcie x1 slot
    Good luck. Sounds like a plan.