How To Transfer Ether Between Accounts?

IncertaintyIncertainty Member Posts: 5
Hi there,

I have a hot wallet at an online exchange with ether. I'd like to transfer this into my personal wallet on my Mac. My questions are:

1. How do I use geth to create a wallet?
2. How do I transfer the online ether into the wallet created above?

TIA.

Comments

• Crypt1xCrypt1x The BlockchainMember Posts: 52
    Hi, i think you can do this:

On the geth console, type:

> personal.newAccount("passphrase")

This will create a new account in your geth with an associated address. Remember to do not forget the password used in this step cause you will need to unlock your wallet in the event of fund transfer, contracts, etc.

After you created a new account you will be prompted with the ETH address and you can then copy paste your wallet address to the exchange where you have funds to withdraw.

When you withdraw funds from exchange they will arrive in your address on your computer (or wherever the geth console with that wallet address is :P )

Hope this helps!

If you want to donate a little tip for the help you're welcome, of course :smile: , here's my address :D:D

0x875295c182a584748141a1ee7c75cdf990414ca8
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    @Crypt1x How do you see your wallet balance with geth? Are there GUI wallets that connect to geth? I'm new and any help would be great! Thanks!
  • ldrapeauldrapeau Member Posts: 89
    Also if you want to send almost x ether from your base account to adr y, you would use;

eth.sendTransaction({from: eth.accounts[0], to: y, value: web3.toWei(x, "ether")})

I say almost because a very small transaction fee would be taken from x
  • ldrapeauldrapeau Member Posts: 89
    If you want to test it (and donate a bout a penny to me) you can try;

eth.sendTransaction({from: eth.accounts[0], to: '0xae8f3c8d1134e50a7c63c39d78406ab7334149ac', value: web3.toWei(0.001, "ether")})