Been mining for 2 days, 0 ether - is that normal?

ekstekst Member Posts: 5
Mining on my 7970 for 2 days now, using my wallet address given by Ethereum Wallet 0.3.7 in the "Geth 1.3.2" Ethereum Node under "Develop" tab. Mining using qtMiner from ethpool using this address. The wallet still says I've 0 ether - is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

Mining something like LiteCoin gives me 0.0000something every once in a while for example.

Comments

  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    With a single 7970 the average result is a block every 4 days or so. With bad luck it can easily be a couple of weeks before anything!
  • ekstekst Member Posts: 5
    ethfan said:

    With a single 7970 the average result is a block every 4 days or so. With bad luck it can easily be a couple of weeks before anything!

    So I won't get 0.000something, I'll just get a whole block whenever it is I'll mine one?
  • RDashRDash Member Posts: 7
    I would suggest to go pool mining which is more beneficial for people with lower MHashes.

    Here are a few pools I would suggest (I am not affiliated with them):
    - http://dwarfpool.com/eth/
    - http://nanopool.org/
    - https://www2.coinmine.pl/eth/
  • ekstekst Member Posts: 5
    I'm using ethpool so far, they have a nice software called qtminer. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    ekst said:

    I'm using ethpool so far, they have a nice software called qtminer. Thanks for the suggestion though.

    If using a pool then you should be getting about 1 ETH each day. That may be affected by the payout schedule of the pool. But most of them pays at least once a day.
  • ekstekst Member Posts: 5
    ethfan said:

    ekst said:

    I'm using ethpool so far, they have a nice software called qtminer. Thanks for the suggestion though.

    If using a pool then you should be getting about 1 ETH each day. That may be affected by the payout schedule of the pool. But most of them pays at least once a day.
    Been 2 days so far, no ETH yet. I may try one of those pools instead if there's no ETH tomorrow. Or maybe I can't use geth wallet address if I'm using eth mining?
  • CubirezCubirez Member Posts: 71
    ekst said:

    ethfan said:

    ekst said:

    I'm using ethpool so far, they have a nice software called qtminer. Thanks for the suggestion though.

    If using a pool then you should be getting about 1 ETH each day. That may be affected by the payout schedule of the pool. But most of them pays at least once a day.
    Been 2 days so far, no ETH yet. I may try one of those pools instead if there's no ETH tomorrow. Or maybe I can't use geth wallet address if I'm using eth mining?
    Actually, the payouts on Ethpool are a bit special.
    Basically, while you are mining all the PoW submitted increments a counter. Every time a block in found, the whole block reward gets to the miner whose counter in the highest (ie whose PoW amount is the highest). Then this miner's PoW counter gets reseted (not to 0, but to his PoW counter minus the PoW counter of the miner with the second highest PoW counter).
    This is why you don't get regular small incomes. You'll get paid eventually, when your PoW counter will be the highest, which you take some time, about 4-5 days, as you have a small miner.

    Note that the way ethpool work allows you to reduce significantly the variance of the mining income (your own varaince is equal to the pool variance) but you don't get "regular" small incomes (only full block reward).
    If this doesn't matter to you, you can stay on ethpool which is a fine pool IMO. If it does, i would suggest you to switch to another pool once you've got your block reward, so that you don't waste two days of mining.

    If you want to know approximately when you'll get a block reward (estimation based on your PoW counter)you can check the "Credits" page of the pool and look for your adress.
  • ekstekst Member Posts: 5
    Cubirez said:

    ekst said:

    ethfan said:

    ekst said:

    I'm using ethpool so far, they have a nice software called qtminer. Thanks for the suggestion though.

    If using a pool then you should be getting about 1 ETH each day. That may be affected by the payout schedule of the pool. But most of them pays at least once a day.
    Been 2 days so far, no ETH yet. I may try one of those pools instead if there's no ETH tomorrow. Or maybe I can't use geth wallet address if I'm using eth mining?
    Actually, the payouts on Ethpool are a bit special.
    Basically, while you are mining all the PoW submitted increments a counter. Every time a block in found, the whole block reward gets to the miner whose counter in the highest (ie whose PoW amount is the highest). Then this miner's PoW counter gets reseted (not to 0, but to his PoW counter minus the PoW counter of the miner with the second highest PoW counter).
    This is why you don't get regular small incomes. You'll get paid eventually, when your PoW counter will be the highest, which you take some time, about 4-5 days, as you have a small miner.

    Note that the way ethpool work allows you to reduce significantly the variance of the mining income (your own varaince is equal to the pool variance) but you don't get "regular" small incomes (only full block reward).
    If this doesn't matter to you, you can stay on ethpool which is a fine pool IMO. If it does, i would suggest you to switch to another pool once you've got your block reward, so that you don't waste two days of mining.

    If you want to know approximately when you'll get a block reward (estimation based on your PoW counter)you can check the "Credits" page of the pool and look for your adress.
    Thank you for explaining in detail. I don't mind not getting small rewards at all, as long as my end-reward is the same as it would be otherwise.
  • trickstertrickster lowry city mo.Member Posts: 19
    i have been mining on ethpool for 2 days now and my address shows nothing
  • HashingTurtleHashingTurtle Member Posts: 107
    I don't mine ethpool, but your severe lack of information will probably get nothing. Things like what operating system you are using, what program(s) you are using to mine and what those programs are telling you, might get a response.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @HashingTurtle I'm already working with him on another thread. He only has 6.5 MH/s, and he's getting GPU errors.
Sign In or Register to comment.