Solo vs Pool

can2018can2018 Member Posts: 53
Hi

I used 4 pool to mine Eth, ethereumpool.co is the best in my opinion, the hashhat is good, 7970 is 19mhs in average, but another pools is 16. So, how is hard to mine in solo?

I have the computer works in pool, is hard to change to solo?

Comments

• dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @can2018 To mine solo, which I do, you run a full node (process the blockchain directly from the network) with 'geth' on one system. Then you run your 'ethminers', connecting to 'geth' to get the work directly, rather than going through a pool. You don't get paid as often, but you receive the full block reward when you find one. The 'geth' command looks like this:

geth --rpc --rpcaddr "10.10.10.9" --rpccorsdomain "localhost"

Where you use the IP address of your system that's running 'geth' (use that IP address in the 'ethminer' command below).

The 'ethminer' command looks like this:

ethminer -G -t 6 -F http://10.10.10.9:8545

The '-t' option takes the number of GPUs you have on each system.

-Best Care
    David
  • can2018can2018 Member Posts: 53
    Hi @dlehenky

Thank you for help me! To mine with more than 4 gpu at ubunth is necessary to do something?

Do you prefeer to mine solo or pool?
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    @dlehenky What is your total hashrate?

I've been mostly solo mining since last Aug/Sept with ~420 Mh/s. But recently it's become quite sporadic...sometimes even 1-2 days without mining anything, other times 3 blocks a day, with the avg falling somewhere between 2-3 per day.
    @can2018 No, you don't have to do anything special to mine with up to 6 GPUs on Ubuntu (I use 14.04 server). As I just mentioned in another post, do *not* use the latest Crimson drivers for Ubuntu. Stick with 2:15.201; it's solid.

I prefer solo, but that's just me :)

-Best Care
    David
    @MrYukonC My total hash rate at this moment is 1.8 GH/s. I'll be adding another rig soon, so it'll be close to 2G/s. Even when the network hash rate is more or less stable, the difficulty rises and falls in response to the block times (I'm sure you already know that). I've noticed block product fall as these minor difficulty adjustments go up, and accelerate as they come down. The difficulty algorithm doesn't seem capable of going in one direction for a long time, even if the block time is relatively far from norm (17s); it still oscillates up and down in the shorter-term, even though the longer-term trend one way or the other.

-Best Care
    David
    @dlehenky

I'm using the driver bellow

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/

Is necessary to use Crimson driver?

At solo is more stable? The hashhate is the same?
    @can2018 That's not the graphics driver, that's the OpenCL SDK, which you don't actually need (I know some of the tutorials tell you to install it). If you're not going to build from source code, but just install the executables, you only need the OpenCL libraries, which are installed when you install the AMD graphics drivers (fglrx and fglrx-core).
    Nice! I spent a lot of time installing the libraries, rsrsrs. What is Crimson driver? Do you have a link to me read about it?

Thank you again @dlehenky
    @can2018 The Crimson drivers are AMD's marketing name for their latest GPU device drivers, which came out late last year. They have bugs, especially on linux, as most major driver updates do. But understand that you are not using the GPU to run some killer video game, your using it to mine. As such, the GPU driver isn't doing that much beyond simply implementing a communications path between the OpenCL runtime libraries and the card. What you really need it stability, not bleeding edge video performance. Whenever you change the fglrx (AMD GPU) drivers, you need to completely remove the existing drivers *before* you install fresh drivers. If you run:

sudo dpkg -l fglrx*

you see a list of what's currently installed. It's somewhat cryptic output, but if you post it, I can tell you what you have currently. (The entries that start with "ii" are the components that are installed). Sometimes you can end up with components that are only partially installed, so just run the command and post the output.

-Best Care
    David
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I have 1.5 GHS and I pool mine, with the high difficulty its better to lock in the set amount of Eth you can get. Also solo mining is a lot more maintince, you constantly have to monitor you geth nodes, if it goes down of the geth server crashes you have all your miners with no work spinning their wheels.

Solo mining I think is for professional miners with close to 3GHs of hash basically they treat it as a full time gig. I soloed mined all through October to January before I finally gave up on that.

Back then 800mh/s could sometimes pull in 18 blocks a day with good luck.

sadly those days are gone.

One cool thing about pool mining is I don't do anything, recently with stratum pool mining the workers are far more stable, I can go to my 9-5 7 days a week and not even think about it my 10 miners have stayed up for 2 weeks straight don't have to reboot do anything using a combo of windows 10 and Ubuntu boxes.

When I solo mined using the inefficient get-work process I would have miners go down constantly at least one or two a day, have to reboot, restart so I ended up loosing more hash than pooling.

If I could find an efficient stratum based solo mining proxy/software I would probably try solo mining again but right now the only open source one uses get-work still.
    @Marvell9 Doesn't ethpool.org now use the stratum proxy?
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    I've been solo mining with just a few hundred MH and average about 30% higher than pool mining still.
    Heck, I have one 'lucky' rig that with only 55MH has hit 4blocks last week by itself.

I use getwork on my local network (although testing the ether-proxy now for a few days.
    My geth server has not gone down in 12 days since I restarted it, and it also runs 90MH itself while running a 550MH SHA256 Monarch amongst other things.
    Its a water cooled small BTC miner. Can be set from 200-720MH, runs at about 0.67 efficiency and uses USB connection to a PC running the miner sw. A small solo mining lotto of mine.
    @happytreefriends OT, but out of curiosity, is there anything other than ether that's worth mining with GPUs?
    Not really, unless you know what altcoin will be popping. ASIC's have ruined most of the good mining. Bitmain has ruined BTC mining over the past 2 months with their crappy S7's bringing SHA256 profitability down to 1/3 it was 4 months ago. (aholes).

I think X13 has a 'special' tweaked miner out that costs a ton of $$ but mines at about 1/3 the speed of ETH on GPU's so that can be profitable if you're a big player.

For the little guys, ETH is it. Besides with MS and larger financial institutions looking seriously into ETH, it mght just be the next big thing after BTC starts to fade out.
    @happytreefriends In my mind, ETH and BTC are apples and oranges. BTC is a store of value, due to the ultimate, fixed number of BTC that will ever exist. If that changes, of course, it will be like a corp floating a new share issue, i.e. it will dilute the value of existing BTC, but I doubt that will happen. BTC, over the long haul, will probably continue to rise in value. ETH, on the other hand, is a blockchain platform intended for the *much* broader use case of smart contracts, even to the extent of replacing what we now call the Web, potentially. Of course, that will only happen over a period of years. Then there's always the big question of what governments may eventually do in the way of regulation and control. It's a brave new world, and as an older fellow, I find it exciting to be a part of it and watch it unfold.

-Best Care
    David
  • anonymous95anonymous95 Member Posts: 248
    So you are mining ETH with BTC machine? With the butterly monarch? I think ETH was only with GPU not with SHA256? Or I am wrong?
    I was writing about the BTC and Ethereum blockchains in general, not about mining at all.
    No I mean happytreefriends said he is using SHA256 Monarch that i mean how its mining ETH when is BTC machine and algoritm?
    @anonymous95 The Monarch isn't mining ETH, which @happytreefriends said in his post above.
    Ah okey , thanks !
  • TxTalen01TxTalen01 Member Posts: 22
    Is anyone soloing mining still?
  • royoosroyoos Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2019
    If two or three communication channels (mail, telephone, skype) were previously relevant, now it is often 6-7 channels: an interactive (it is required) website, messengers, social networks, and other systems. The clients want to receive up-to-date information and correct answers to their questions quickly, from any device, and the constructive reaction to the fact that he is dissatisfied with something instantaneously. And contacting the company he should receive a close level of service, regardless of the unit and the employee he works with. Can we through https://www.managemart.com/pool-care speed up our reaction on all communication channels?