2 rigs on the same IP

FolkenleNBFolkenleNB Member Posts: 2
edited January 2016 in Mining
Hi everyone,

I try to mine on the same internet connexion and it doesn't work. I've one computer with geth and etherminer and it works fine. My pool is https://eth.suprnova.cc and it's OK.

I've a second computer with the same configuration and it doesn't work ... I made the same installation and I don't know why but i mine in the wind.... I format the computer and it's the same result.

I have try the second computer with another pool and it doesn't work too...

I try with a VPN and it's the same. When i try with a 3nd computer in another internet connexion it works ...

Have you any Idea to help me with some issue ?

Please be kind with my poor english i'm not very fluent :)

Thank a lot.
Folken.

Comments

• tomm144tomm144 Member Posts: 5
    same configuration? you have to change IP address and worker data. you cannot mine with identical copy of your first rig (or entire OS).
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    All my rigs run on HDD's cloned from the first. Mining fine. Was not necessary but changed the rig names to avoid confusion. The DHCP server in your router will assign unique ip addresses to each.
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    execute this command on all your machines, this will change the hostname based on mac address:

/sbin/ifconfig | grep HW | awk '{print $NF}' | sed 's/://g' | tail -c 7 > /etc/hostname
  • FolkenleNBFolkenleNB Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    Yes my router assign a different IP, one with 192.168.0.11 and the other with 192.168.0.12 off course. And i try with different VPN to have 2 differents Internet IP. But the result is the same... :(

@kotarius : I will try your command and make a feedback.

Thank you.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    If you want to connect to it from outside your network you will need to forward your lan ports to another wan port.

For example.

VNC standard pot = 5900

if you connect from outside your network, it will auto connect to the first IP it finds.

you will need to forward that port inside your router to for example 5901 for ip 192.168.0.12 and for 192.168.0.11 you can set 5900.

In some routers it's called "Virtual Server" in others it's under the Gaming Section or Port forwarding section.

It's not that difficult. :)
    Is your second rig a recent installation? The newer versions of ethminer gave me insurmountable problems. Which was why I resorted to cloning my initial HDD. I started a thread about the ethminer versions problem. You can look at that.
    kotarius said:

execute this command on all your machines, this will change the hostname based on mac address:

/sbin/ifconfig | grep HW | awk '{print $NF}' | sed 's/://g' | tail -c 7 > /etc/hostname

Always impressed by guru's who string commands like that!

I think /etc/hosts needs to be changed as well...
    edited January 2016
    Thanks ethfan, ethOS uses a lot of these one-liners :)

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/4298/ethos-linux-ethereum-mining-platform#latest

/etc/hosts references /etc/hostname, please see source:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1591097

ethfan said:

kotarius said:

Always impressed by guru's who string commands like that!

I think /etc/hosts needs to be changed as well...
    Guru??? Don't make me laugh!

Here, this is our guru..

Asking me how to do it.....

Btw. i'm helping out PIMP team. Just because they're not that greedy.
    Heliox said:

Guru??? Don't make me laugh!

Btw. i'm helping out PIMP team. Just because they're not that greedy.

It's all relative. I have not even started using grep/awk/sed and he is piping them together. To me that is guru level.

As I mentioned elsewhere, it looks like PiMP does not support ETH. Happy to be corrected if wrong as there would be another option for ETH mining.

It's in development mate.
  • LilyLily Member Posts: 2
    Real gurus dont pipe grep to awk, just fyi. Nor do they hijack code and claim it as theirs.

PiMP is working on an ETH miner, of course. We Mine All, so you can too.

Lily
    https://miner.farm
    @Lily, hi there. You must be the same guy I saw on the LTC forum back when I was mining scrypt. Nice to meet again.

Good to know about PiMP and ETH. Given that POW for ETH has a definite endpoint that is not so important. May go back to X11 mining which I see that PiMP does support.

As for grep | awk, that is above my pay grade for now though I was about to grok their suitability in modifying the look of my shell script that display outputs of my rigs in a multi-pane tmux session (running out of screen space!).
    Lily, Heliox:

ethOS is being developed in a 100% clean room, from a fork of Ubuntu. Pimp is a fork of an earlier release of debian. ethOS does not share any codebase, trademarks, copyrights, intellectual property, or distribution method with pimp.

ethOS is a single-algorithm operating system meant for large-scale deployments, pimp is a multi-algorithm mining platform meant for home miners. Frankly, calling ethOS a ripoff of pimp is an insult to the pimp team's hard work and intelligence.

Will never assassinate any character publicly :) Good luck to all!
    edited January 2016
    Lily said:

Real gurus dont pipe grep to awk, just fyi.

Lily, this has been fixed. Thanks for the hint :) if you have any more, please be sure to pass them along! Adding "head -1" here will limit the result to 1 line, and will always show the expected result:

/sbin/ifconfig | grep HW | head -1 | awk '{print $NF}' | sed 's/://g' | tail -c 7 > /etc/hostname

The general consensus is that it is not a good idea to use grep pattern matching and expect a single result, for example, in one case, you can have two different mac addresses if you have two ethernet ports on your motherboard. More info is available here: http://www.terminalinflection.com/dont-pipe-grep-into-awk/
  • LilyLily Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    You are doing a fine job of making yourself look incompetent, you dont need my help. You might try reading the article you have linked though, instead of making more command trash.
    edited January 2016
    Sometimes we have to worry about deployment instead of worrying about awk vs grep.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @Lily : Get a life. There's no "right" way (which appears to be *your* way) to write a script. The beauty of Unix/linux is there are endless ways to accomplish any particular task. Pick one that serves you're purpose and get on with it.