New Member Introductions

Comments

• salwilliamsalwilliam Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Call me Sal. I'm an entrepreneur, communications/social media, artist/writer kind of guy. I've been involved in the Bitcoin world for 18mths.

I used to be very active on bitcointalk, and was involved with a few projects there. Later I got really into Ripple and founded ripplefederation.org. I work for The Kraken Exchange (Kraken.com).

I have some partially developed ideas for both a decentralized social network, and an art-based hyper-inflationary cryptocurrency. I think Ethereum might provide the right backbone for these, and for so much more!
  • BearkatBoyBearkatBoy Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

My name is Matthew, and I'm from Texas. I have a BA in Asian History, and am currently working on my Masters in History. I am also a Gliph Advocate, and write for a magazine and website in East Texas.

I actually have no coding, programming or crypto background, but have been obsessed with Bitcoin and all things crypto for about a year. I bought my first bitcoins last March, and have spent most of my free time after work every day reading as much as I can on these subjects.

I still have so much to learn, but am very excited about the work that many of you are doing. Ethereum seems great, and I'm currently reading the white paper.

More than anything, I want to see these decentralized and distributed networks continue to grow and succeed, and would love to contribute in any way I can.
  • Gawrav_MehtaGawrav_Mehta Member Posts: 1
    Greetings from India!
  • DoneDealDoneDeal Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone,

Well looking at everyone's background around here, It looks like I'm the village idiot then. I'm in the UK and want to see what's going on for now.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    @DoneDeal we have a London Meetup soon, feel free to join us! www.meetup.com/ethereum/
  • TuskTusk Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2014
    Hi I'm Adrian, I'm new to BitCoin. I first heard about BTC in April 2013 but did not understand it, I thought is was like beans just digital tokens. Then in December I started watching some youtube videos and bam is was struck between the eyes, I couldn't sleep and thinking and researching you know how it goes.... lol. Luckily I was on two weeks leave, so I enjoyed soaking up what I could.

I'm not technical, I'm a bamboo farmer in South Africa. Just as I believe bamboo is a miracle plant, while its technically a grass its also a sustainable timber alternative. I too think the invention of math based currency will not only transform commerce, it will accelerate the transformation of society in more positive ways.

I like the philosophy of decentralized block chains for many reasons but this is the fundamental power of the decentralized block chain is: - "Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past." - George Orwell

VIVA! the block Cain VIVA!, From the ashes rises the Phoenix ^i^
  • lumierrelumierre Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2014
    I just looked at Ethereum and I noticed that the developers are much into decentralization of everything. I read some of the white paper and it's refreshing to know that the devs are even looking into solutions to set the minimum fees automatically. The long term outlook of Ethereum attracts me, especially about the issue on ASICs. So yeah, Lumierre signing in.
  • murpenmurpen Manchester, UKMember Posts: 6
    Hi, I'm Kevin. I'm a software engineer. I'm excited about Ethereum as a platform because I can see that it will enable applications beyond our imaginations today. I'm also interested in the philosophical/social motivations and effects of Ethereum (I generally agree with Ayn Rand's ideas). I'm looking for an opportunity to build something disruptive on Ethereum.

I'm the meetup organiser for Manchester (UK). If you are within range, please join http://www.meetup.com/Ethereum-Manchester/ :)
  • JohnnyKJohnnyK Member Posts: 1
    Hi I'm Johnny,
    I'm a regular Joe Public, know a bit about computers but not a developer/programmer etc. I will have an ecommerce site soon and have been looking at cryptocurrencies as a means of payment. Some of the currencies look so complicated to get/use! And aren't stable.
    How do I download the ethereum client and try it out?
  • drcodedrcode Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Hi, I'm Conrad, author of "Land of Lisp", medical doctor, develop of expert systems for hospitals, cointagion.com. Also, I am wrapping up a bitcoin book (befuddled.org).

I think the DAC space is the place to be. I have no clue if ethereum is going anywhere (haven't had time to study the design closely yet, certainly sounds like there is potential on first blush) and I do not plan to invest in ether early on, but I think the general problems ethereum is tackling right now are really big, important problems, and it really doesn't matter for me if ethereum goes anywhere: Learning cryptocurrency scripting is going to be a valuable skill no matter who the players in this space end up being, once it becomes mainstream.
  • OperatrOperatr Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone, I'm Operatr from the Blockburner mining company (blockburner.net), as some may have seen on the Bitcointalk/Litecointalk forums in the past.

We're supporters of the Ethereum project and believe platforms like it will be the layer that digital currency needs now after constant problems with centralized exchanges. With the prominent names involved and what seems to be very active development, this is definitely exciting, and we want to be a part of it.

Ethereum is Satoshi's vision of a decentralized financial world, and the next inevitable step. Tied together with systems like Open Transactions, and networked with other platforms like Mastercoin, ColoredCoins, and Bitshares, the true revelation of cryptocurrency will unfold.
  • LeanLean Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

I'm a strategy designer and creative entrepreneur looking for the latests technologies and innovations to redefine capitalism and corporations. I use creativity, branding and strategy for it.

Ultimately, I practice Design Science, a problem solving approach which entails a rigorous, systematic study of the deliberate ordering of the components in our Universe.
  • bdanbdan Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm a software engineer; I worked on many things from compilers and signal processing, to web and linux apps. I am confident that cryptocurrencies 2.0 will have a large impact and I hope I'll be able to bring in my contribution.

• GreenMachineGreenMachine Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Hi I'm Jason. Web Developer and Entrepreneur versed in PHP/HTML/CSS and a little photoshop and photography. Love Video Games and Puzzles. I'm an Android dreaming of electric sheep.
  • bomb7bomb7 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys. I`m Paul, located in the land of mtgox (if you want me to go picket on your behalf, make me an offer - lol jk). I don`t have much of a technical background. I have a background in Education and marketing and I`m interested in technology and how it changes/improves our lives. So it wasn`t technical fascination that brought me here, it was the potential impact that cryptocurrency and distributed autonomous transactions can have on the world. And that potential impact is huge, if you keep in mind that transfers of money around the world amount to QUADRILLIONS of dollars every year.

I like Ethereum because I think the team is somewhat sensitive to how non-technies think, and understand how to communicate the benefits of Ethereum to a wide audience, at least to an extent. This will be hugely important for adoption. Most people in the general public don`t know what the fuck crypto enthusiasts are talking about, and really need the end benefit explained to them clearly. I see Ethereum doing this to some extent, and hope they go even further with it when the time is right. And the rest of us should help with that too.
  • PrivateIdahoPrivateIdaho Member Posts: 1
    I'm Alex a software developer from BC Canada. P2P in general, and very possibly Ethereum in particular, is turning the world upside down. Hierarchies out, emergent networks in. Would like to be a part of that. It is time.

“On resiste a l’invasion des armees; on ne resiste pas a l’invasion des idees.” Victor Hugo
  • KapacornKapacorn TorontoMember Posts: 27
    My name is Kapacorn * Waves * unfortunately I cannot go into details regarding my specific skill set.. What I can say is one day I was really bored at work and somehow ended up here. Now you have to deal with me... :)
  • Wit22Wit22 Member Posts: 2
    I think eth is going to be HUGE
    Call me Wit
  • splizmosplizmo Member Posts: 12
    Hi Dudettes!

I'm Scott. I've been around for a bit but decided to comment here. I work as a software developer and studied Mathematics (BA) in school in Minnesota. Super into Crypto stuff the last year or so and really excited to see what this project amounts to. I've been doing a bunch of Web dev stuff lately so hit me up if you've got a project you need help with. Thanks!
  • spasinskyspasinsky Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone! My name is Sean. I am a chemical engineer with experience in both hard chemistry and chemical engineering-type projects as well as software dev projects (functional architecture and design for the largest logistics systems on Earth). I guess my main goal here is to watch the future of societal governance mechanisms evolve. As a futurist, I am quite interested to see how self-executing contracts could possibly be applied to government. I am guessing that there might be a trust-less economic platform evolve first, showing citizens the possibilities, and then we might slowly see the concepts spread to governmental models. The only way to free humans from oppression by those born slightly before us, or those with more resources, is to use benevolent machines. I am all about technologically assisted human freedom.
  • guakaguaka Member Posts: 18
    I'm Kasper. I studied maths (MSc), dropped out of an AI PhD (finding structure in musical pieces). I've worked on couchsurfing, bewelcome.org, hyves.nl, trust metrics research and founded quite some wikis (including http://hitchwiki.org and http://trashwiki.org). I'm also a language buff (fluent nl, en, de, fr, es, it).

I'm heavily interested in taking blockchain tech to the real world, whatever that means. And I think the world needs a universal basic income in the next 50 years. Ethereum could be a way to get there.

I enjoy coding Python and CoffeeScript. Meteor is my platform of choice these days.
  • nkwsynkwsy Member Posts: 1
    Hey Everyone!
    I am Nick, I am a cofounder of a startup creating aeroponic farming systems. I am involved in several projects in the bitcoin space and am very interested in creating DAC's to link people together. Right now my focus is on creating a DAC to help independent billboard operators upgrade to LED billboards and dynamically sell adverts. But I also want to delve in the more altruistic potentials and hope ethereum can make it possible.
  • riddickbriddickb Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody,
    I'm Blair, a simple electronics technician in the UAV industry with an MA in Media Studies (New School), that sees the promise ethereum offers in the zone of technological democracy. Sometimes this (techdem) is a load of shit, sometimes it's real, but in '92 this is the type of stuff that we dreamed of for the internet and it has taken a long time for the tools to sort themselves out. I'm not a programmer,.. yet. I'm hoping to participate as a tester, that is what I do every day at work, but I'd rather be testing Ethereum! I'm working on my go/osx install and hopefully I'll be up and running real soon.
  • SofSof AustraliaMember Posts: 10
    Hi I'm Paul. I work in a large Australian financial services company that is interested in understanding disruptive new technologies. Ethereum seems to have the largest potential for disruption across so many different industries. The concept of DAO/DACs is fascinating and I am energised by the pace with which this thing has gathered momentum.
  • dyamanakadyamanaka New MexicoMember Posts: 11
    My name is David,

I am a BSA, Business Systems Analyst. The best way to describe me is a person who looks at something complex and explains it in layman's terms to others. Put simply, I translate Geek into English. My programer friends describe me as the person who doesn't know how to build a jet, but I sure know how to fly it like a bat out of hell!

I hope your Ethereum concept really takes off.

Good luck guys!
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    moved to > watercooler
  • TheravadinTheravadin Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone, I'm a Buddhist monk in Sri Lanka. I've been a futurist and Singularitarian for many years. Software in general and the Internet in particular are certainly eating the world one byte at a time. Of all the online currency schemes Etherium seems the most architecturally advanced. If we can find a way to solve the blockchain verification scaling problem, this could be huge.

Anyone with an interest in meditation and philosophy might want to visit my channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SkillfuLivingNetwork
  • radixpraxradixprax Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2014
    Hi all,

I am a freedom and liberty advocate with a love of putting philosophy into practice. I have no doubt Ethereum is going to change the world. It is not just the raw concept but the team of people around Ethereum that make me confident. I am thinking of getting into coding in order to either help or profit (financially or practically {methinks understanding the codified structure of society will be important in years to come, especially when it does not break your heart like legacy culture can if you don't see where to change it}) from this venture and I am open to any advice, thanks.
  • ethergrokethergrok USMember Posts: 25
    edited March 2014
    I was programming with MIDI in 1993 using samples to reproduce orchestral compositions that I had written with a pencil on staff paper. Before I could set up a rig to multitrack record my performances on violin, viola, cello, voice, etc ... I saw some of the first images made public on the world wide web in 1994. I started learning HTML, I built a website that hosted various small businesses, local cottage industry in my area. I lurked in bookstores and abused the growing racks of computer literature. I honed my photoshop skills and made graphics for the internet. I worked with Mr. Banner. And yes, I used frames. Then it all started moving to the server side, beyond common gateway interface. Such excitement. Stone knives and bear skins, oh, a keyboard.

I began to study programming and built my first 486 running Win 3.1. Much training there was.

I entered into a professional information technology track as an "intranet coordinator" at a pager company moving into bankruptcy from which a cellular and paging, wireless telecommunications company was born. We built towers. I went through the resulting IPO, the stock market crashed, they gave us these pretty, pink slips of paper. The executives and principles got much, much richer. Assimilation was painful. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I had rolled out MSIE 3.01 and MS productivity apps to a company with over 1,000 employees. I cobbled servers together. I wore many hats. I taught classes to my co-workers as a liaison to the training department. I fixed the CEO's and the executive's computers, I taught them how to use email and how to surf the web. They said I was a genius, therefore, my rate of pay was comparably low, the effusive tyke. I programmed in MS Active Server Pages and used vbscript extensively, rebels blew things up, I fixed them.

I secretly wrote warez serverz for AOL in VB 3, I wrote chat loggers with search functions, echo functions. I developed chatSAQS, (search, analysis, query, synthesis). Yes, I used sockets. I like languages, I like text. Nobody cared.

After the great tech corrections I wandered and returned to the musical muse. I had grown so weary of scraping and struggling.

In early 2012 I heard about bitcoin while working with and supporting the Ron Paul presidential campaign, I was wary, I ignored it, I, like some of you as well, was a total dumbass. I worked with David, he was a very quiet person. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. The cops beat the hell out of our duly elected State convention president, they threw him in jail. Nobody cared.

In early March of 2013, I looked at bitcoin once again. It was like seeing that first public image, that first GIF on the internet. I was late to the game. I dove deep and stayed under.

I built a mining rig and started mining litecoin. Rally round the family, pocket full of coins. I started trading CryptoCurrencies on btc-e, much to learn. People started slamming my inboxes with questions about CryptoCurrency. I hung out my CryptoCurrency Consultancy shingle. I beta tested Troll Box Archive and worked a bit with their developers. I hoped that TBxArchive would help the community, that it could and would be effectively monetized.

I have been wrong about so many things.

I have traveled the first set of S-curves. It has been a difficult journey coming back to the codes. I like python, a lot.

Contracts with CryptoCurrency, a coin, with a Turing complete language, something to grok, to create.

There is ether in the accretion disc, I am drawn to it.
  • JackJack Member Posts: 7
    Hello my name is Jack. I'm almost 18 from Australia and I love everything cryptocoin, cryptoeconomics, and code. I first heard about ethereum from listening to ethercast's weekly videos. I first heard of cryptocurrencies after discovering bitcoin in 2012. When I learned of the concept of Distributed Autonomous Entities (DAE's), Distributed Autonomous Corporations (DAC's), or what ever we'll end up calling them I knew that ethereum had a lot of potential to change the world.

While I have the typical "nerd creds"--doing a helloworld program at 12, teaching myself to program in languages like C++, Python, Perl, Haskell --I don't have any official training in mathematics, computer science, economics, or cryptography. I'm very interested and dedicated to learning everything I can about cryptoeconomics so I can be a part of this interesting time in history :).

Outside of ethereum I enjoy reading philosophy, listening to music like John Cage's, and creative writing.