git pull (what now)

Question - i'm new to git - so Sorry for you git veterans

I notices that there were some changes piling up and also that AlephZero was renamed to AlethZero - so I decided (getting pretty cocky) - to attempt some updates. After reading up a little on Git and "getting the gist of Git" (sorry couldn't resist the pun), I thought I understand better the process of Git and GitHub.

So I did a git pull (from the ethereum directory) - pretty cool - lots of messages and stuff downloaded - including the renamed AlethZero, etc.

But - now - I don't know what do do from here. Also - will any next steps wipe out my "data" - like any keys (private) and blockchain related files (which blockchain wise - probably doesn't matter) - anywho - what are the next steps on the interative build or maintenance - do I remake ethereum? , do I remake cmake or qmake etc. AlethZero (or since it's been renamed - and the old source appears to be deleted - cmake, qmake AlethZero.

Where are my private keys? Do I need to save them - I make a second key with the CREATE button - but can't seem to find the "data" files.

Ok - so what commands after "git pull"?

Thanks

Dave (comtechnet)

Comments

• kershykershy Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2014
    Don't worry about the private keys. This is testnet, so it's actually better to delete them after a fresh build sometimes.

The two following directories are used to store the extra files you need for Ethereum.
    Blockchain is stored in: ~/.ethereum
    Private keys are in: /.config/ethereum
    (Like I said it's best to delete them after every new build)

The build instructions can be found here
    https://github.com/ethereum/cpp-ethereum/wiki/Build-Instructions
    The instructions for Ubuntu (from HEAD) are probably best

When there are new updates commit to GitHub you can do the following:
    (From the cpp-ethereum directory)

git pull
    cd ../cpp-ethereum-build
    make clean
    cmake ../cpp-ethereum -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
    make

-- You may want to remove the old cpp-ethereum-build directory if you still have a very old version.