Etherbase vs Wallet?

What is the difference between Etherbase and wallet on the Mist GUI?

I can't create a wallet because I have no Ether and I can't send Ether to Mist because I don't have a wallet.

I also sent some ether to Etherbase will but my balance hasn't been updated. Did I make a mistake by sending Ether to Etherbase?

Comments

• DrSluiceDrSluice Member Posts: 26
    You may want to try a different approach. You can go here: https://kvhnuke.github.io/etherwallet/#generate-wallet
    and create a paper wallet. Then save all the info from your new wallet, including the private key so you can cut and paste these numbers into your command line in geth. When you get all that sorted out send me your public key, and I will send you 1 ether. Done deal. You will have a possitive balance, and can practice sending back and forth from various wallet accounts (you can have many) and from there you can venture down the rabbit hole as deep as you can imagine. Have fun!
  • Pei13Pei13 Member Posts: 32
    DrSluice said:

You may want to try a different approach. You can go here: https://kvhnuke.github.io/etherwallet/#generate-wallet
    and create a paper wallet. Then save all the info from your new wallet, including the private key so you can cut and paste these numbers into your command line in geth. When you get all that sorted out send me your public key, and I will send you 1 ether. Done deal. You will have a possitive balance, and can practice sending back and forth from various wallet accounts (you can have many) and from there you can venture down the rabbit hole as deep as you can imagine. Have fun!

Thank you for your response I really appreciate it. I will do all that and send you my public key once I have it done.
  • DrSluiceDrSluice Member Posts: 26
    I'll be here! good luck.
  • eshriekeshriek Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2016
    >What is the difference between Etherbase and wallet on the Mist GUI?
    >Did I make a mistake by sending Ether to Etherbase?

I just sent ether from bittrex exchange to Etherbase in Mist with no problem.
    A wallet is created via a contract, so my guess is that a wallet has some features whereas the Etherbase does not. I'm guessing etherbase is just an address whereas a wallet may be more programmable?